help me spend my money - 80 or gx (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have had many Toyotas, old, new and even JDM, but never significantly modded them. Currently deciding on which one to mod. Main use is a part-time DD, and a truck to take my son camping (we made a sleeping platform in the back). Maybe a few road trips, but no real off roading, just beach and fire roads. And just for fun.

Option 1 is my 95 LC which I've baselined for the past 2 years. 110k miles, great shape. Even used it as my only vehicle for a year. All stock except K02s, removed 3rd row and running boards. I've always wanted to add a 2 inch lift, ARB winch bar and 33s. Wife rarely if ever drives.

Option 2 is my 22 GX. Great truck but very different image. Would start with Evo corse 17 wheels and 33s and Goose Gear 3rd row delete platform. Then go from there. Wife would need to drive too.

Heart is saying the 80 because its awesome. But my practical side is saying the GX..

:cheers:

If the 80 is in truly great shape, at least by my def, just enjoy it for what it is - a classic.

There's way more money and specialness in the LC than the ubiquitous GXs you see these days. GX is a smooth operator, but ultimately in the pantheon of Toyota trucks, it's a product designed for our aunts 2 enjoy.

EDIT:

Also consider insurance coverage. Insurers prefer to insure modern cars. Getting the 80 fully covered at declared value will come with contingencies which may limit use, once again, assuming your 80 is in truly "great shape".

Last edited:
If the 80 is a clean low mileage specimen than leave it stock. They are starting to get old enough that certain 80 series should be preserved.

If you really want a modded 80 buy one with some dents and rust than send it.

Or mod the gx, those things are awesome.

I recently spent a lot of time with a '22 GX460 loaner and didn't much care for it. Cargo space is really poor due to the 3rd row seat raising the cargo deck by 6", big plastics on the sides of the cargo area taking up space unnecessarily, and tailgate > swing gate. The ride was superb stock, but I almost wouldn't want to lift it and start screwing around with it. Oddly enough, I felt it pretty lacking in the power department too--drives just like a 5th gen 4runner--no V8 oomph to be found due to the weight of the vehicle. Coming from my 200, it felt like it needed to be revved to the max to keep up with traffic in the mountains. Not slow, but not what I was expecting either.

But most of those issues can be resolved by gutting out the cargo area and removing extraneous seats. I think I've read there's over 250# of seating between the 2nd and 3rd rows. Looks like you're already planning on taking care of that.

80 is, of course, much slower, much more rudimentary, but nice overall dimensions for a family campster.

With your uses in mind, I'd probably go with the GX just to keep fuel costs down and beat up the rig that's a dime a dozen. Remove the rediculous running boards and get some sensibly sized AT tires. That's all you need for your stated purpose. Park the 80 in the garage and keep it as a Sunday driver. That's super low mileage and that thing will only go up in value if you care for it.

Last edited:
If you must mod one of them (no offroading?), go with the GX. My vote would be to instead spend that money on travel.

I have an '18 GX that I daily and will leave bone stock. 80 on the other hand is about as modified as I can make it without a lot of cutting/ bodywork, links and heavier axles. The things I'd consider in your shoes:
  1. Do you think you'll stop with minor mods? If your likely to want to continue to modify in the future, the 80 will offer more options and is somewhat easier to build larger.
  2. A stock (or fairly stock) GX is probably the easiest highway driving SUV I've owned. If you're driving a long way the GX will be a lot more comfortable and a lot quieter.
  3. If you're going places frequently camping, etc. a GX is going to be a lot more insurable/ fixable if you have something unfortunate happen - hitting a deer, etc.
  4. The 80 will be more capable off road, but it sounds like that's not a real issue.
  5. You can get more stuff in the 80. Echoing the point mentioned above - The 3rd row in the floor of the GX eats a lot of cargo space.
Good luck with the decision. I bought my 80 after my GX because I ultimately decided to not build a GX. I have a feeling we have pretty different use cases though.

From a strictly $ perspective - modding the GX could hit hard on depreciation. Modding the 80 could hit hard on value of a current and future classic.

One idea - sell the GX and use the $ for another 80 (or different rig) + mods.

Back to my knitting...

@COYS yes one of my older aunts does drive a gx. why did you have to say that?:rofl:
Someone stuck a soccer ball sticker on my GX while I was parked at work. I think I'm more upset that they're right than I am that I was pranked.

When I got married and became a stepdad, my buddy put one of those little stick figure families on my 60 (which replaced my mini-truck), cat and all. Pretty sure I punched him. If 27yo me could see 40yo me, pretty sure he'd punch me too.

If 27yo me could see 40yo me, pretty sure he'd punch me too.
Definitely in the same boat, though I'd also point out to 27yo me that I have a lot more disposable income than he did. I'd also ask 27yo me to take better care of my knees and back. Despite pervasive wisdom at the time, I did live past 35.

80, even with just tires is more capable offroad but obviously limited due to mileage. GX if mainly street driven, if doing lift and tires the IFS and weak rear axle will need to be upgraded and will still have CV boot problems.

I’ll throw one more potential vehicle into the mix. 1st gen Tacoma. V6. Double cab. 110k miles. Nearly perfect condition. Issue is modifying this for camping would require a gfc camper or something similar since can’t sleep in the back and I don’t want to use a tent anymore. But suspension would be more reasonable than the 80.
I’ve actually been surprised how well it maneuvers and drives. Feels small and nimble. Of course nothing in comparison to a new gx on the highway but still I was surprised.

I’ll throw one more potential vehicle into the mix. 1st gen Tacoma. V6. Double cab. 110k miles. Nearly perfect condition. Issue is modifying this for camping would require a gfc camper or something similar since can’t sleep in the back and I don’t want to use a tent anymore. But suspension would be more reasonable than the 80.
I’ve actually been surprised how well it maneuvers and drives. Feels small and nimble. Of course nothing in comparison to a new gx on the highway but still I was surprised.

Or you could do a 3 link axle swap on the above mentioned Tacoma and 4 link the rear.

I have a 17GX along with a 97LX. For a daily driver the GX wins hands down. More power, better brakes, more air bags, better handling (brakes, bags and better handling = safer) hugely more comfortable and more reliable (because it is newer).

The LX is the fun vehicle for trouncing around the outdoors where comfort is not quite as important but athletic ability is there when needed.
Keeping mileage off the old girl is a factor as well, parts availability for an 80 is beginning to become and issue as well as people who know how to wrench on one.

Keep these rigs in the environment for which they thrive in. The 80's natural environment is the outback, the GX (sorry to say) is a better pavement pounder. Much like the difference between AT and MT tires, use the tires (and rigs) where they are better suited.

Keep the GX stock or better yet, sell it. Then mod the 80 and put at least 35s on and don't waste your time and money on 33s and 2" lift.

If light wheeling, just go with your gut - either does the job. I had a low mileage 80 that I just couldn’t bring myself to take off road in a meaningful way. Condition was just too nice, and my wife was wanting to get rid of her GX. Now the GX is mine and gets used/abused (I love it) and the 80 is sold (yes, I really miss it). Found a fj40 project, though, to satisfy the old school itch

Main use is a part-time DD, and a truck to take my son camping (we made a sleeping platform in the back). Maybe a few road trips, but no real off roading, just beach and fire roads. And just for fun.

I have both and have wheeled both. Based on your intended use, the 80 would be overkill off-road and underkill (is that a word? it is now) on road. The GX is a remarkably capable platform—very versatile. Just remember what forum section you’re in when weighing your decisions. With 32s, nix’d running boards, KDSS and A-TRAC, you’ll MORE than tackle your stated objectives in a GX, and you’ll be comfortable to and from. Good luck with your choice. The truth is you can’t really go wrong with either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom