Intercooler kit for KZJ78 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BTV

Threads
Wondering if there are any recommended intercoolers for the KZJ78 that are not custom made? Does any company make such a thing?
I'm loving the look of the custom ones I'm seeing all over this forum, but I don't have the tools or know how to put something like that together.
I do however have a great backyard mechanic that I could put one in if there with if there was a place to buy one. The whole package with pipes, fittings etc...
Thoughts?

I think the only kind of off the shelf kit would come straight from a 95series prado or a Toyota surf with a top mount intercooler
you will need all the pipes, rocker cover , intake manifold and the only custom bit will be cutting a hole in the bonnet

I think the only kind of off the shelf kit would come straight from a 95series prado or a Toyota surf with a top mount intercooler
you will need all the pipes, rocker cover , intake manifold and the only custom bit will be cutting a hole in the bonnet
That's a really good idea. Will see if I can find one in a scrap yard locally.
Thanks!

Hey BTV, how did you go with this idea?

I'm in the middle of upgrading my stock 95 Series Prado 1KZ-TE top mount intercooler as it has become fairly useless under load with all the mods I have performed. I've found a product and have a plan in mind for install but interested to hear what others have done/results etc before I pull the trigger and buy all the bits. It's quite an job!

The air intake sensor you speak of is critical to engine performance so any custom intercooler system you build, you'll need to weld a bung in somewhere post intercooler or take it to an exhaust shop or someone handy with a TIG to do it for you.

Hey BTV, how did you go with this idea?

I'm in the middle of upgrading my stock 95 Series Prado 1KZ-TE top mount intercooler as it has become fairly useless under load with all the mods I have performed. I've found a product and have a plan in mind for install but interested to hear what others have done/results etc before I pull the trigger and buy all the bits. It's quite an job!

The air intake sensor you speak of is critical to engine performance so any custom intercooler system you build, you'll need to weld a bung in somewhere post intercooler or take it to an exhaust shop or someone handy with a TIG to do it for you.
Hey Pal!
I'm in neutral on this one... got the exhaust, egr delete and stereo all sorted, and now I need to figure this part out. All the info I'm getting says to do a front mount for access to cool clean air, but I don't like the way they look on the truck, and I do like the look of the hood scoop on those rigs, so I'm tempted to go the top mount version and use one off of a used rig.
Knowing the effect a top mount has on that engine, would you go the top mount route, or would you follow the masses and go with the front mount? Will a top mount provide the kind of cooling I'm needing?
B

remember you can fit a front mount and keep all the aircon stuff all behind the grill , I managed to plus had a trans cooler mounted there as well , you couldn't even see it behind there , plus I painted it all black

Reactions: BTV
Hey Pal!
I'm in neutral on this one... got the exhaust, egr delete and stereo all sorted, and now I need to figure this part out. All the info I'm getting says to do a front mount for access to cool clean air, but I don't like the way they look on the truck, and I do like the look of the hood scoop on those rigs, so I'm tempted to go the top mount version and use one off of a used rig.
Knowing the effect a top mount has on that engine, would you go the top mount route, or would you follow the masses and go with the front mount? Will a top mount provide the kind of cooling I'm needing?
B
Mate, I have researched the s*** outta this one and although front mount is arguably the better way to go (if possible, I don't believe its the only way to achieve solid results - and the installation is a SERIOUS pain in the a$$ (for the 95 Series Prado anyways). I've been through a cracked head
episode once already and now appreciate the importance of keeping that cooling system running silky smooth and not hindering it with more radiators, spot lights and such in the front!
Over the weekend I was inspecting a friends 105 series top mount intercooler which he paid about AUD$2500!! for from a reputable supplier and personally I couldnt see much difference between that and a cheap generic aluminium one off ebay? Of course their might be a couple fewer fins p/inch inside the Cheaper ones however I've read that can be a good thing for TMIC on these Diesel engines.

Edit: Sorry, I got my wire's crossed with this paragraph so I have deleted it.

I'll keep this thread here in support of the TMIC : Top Mount vs. Front Mount intercooler - https://www.patrol4x4.com/threads/top-mount-vs-front-mount-intercooler.303641/#post-4607001

So basically where I am at now is waiting for pay day and I am going with something like this: Top Mount Intercooler. I was going to get a 600x300 but it is slightly too larger and will inhibit easy access to my airbox and break fluid reservoir. So basically wanting one with a core thats 450x300 (plus ~100mm each side for the tanks) and 2.5" outlets seems to fit my engine bay fine. Their are some pretty affordable 2.5" piping kits on ebay for AUD$150 which look like they'll work fine. Not as nice as tig welding using silicon/rubber couplings but I don't care at this stage. I'm just going for functionality for now as I've already spent a fortune on this car lol

In terms of fitment, my current stock intercooler (core) is about 320 x 210 x 85mm. It has a cleareance of about 15-20mm from the hump on the top of the engine. (my hump is at the rear of the engine closest to the firewall). I currently have approximately 60mm from top of the plastic protector on top of the intercooler to the top skin of the bonnet. So about 60mm I can raise whatever intercooler up. But will involve cutting into the bonnet a bit though i'm cool with that. New intercooler is double the size but 10-15mm less thick. So when installed at full height, will allow up to 90mm for a big ass puller fan to sit underneath.

Something like that anyways :)

Last edited:
Hey, I might hijack and migrate this chat over here if you don't mind? I've already started a thread for custom top mount intercooler + shroud for the 1KZ-TE. You can see what I've tried so far and where I am going with this. I'll update as I progress :)

I'm having a unichip installed today so things are gonna "heat up" lol

Reactions: BTV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom