Four TPMS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Prior to this summer I had three sets of wheels for my LX: The 5 OEM 20’s with 275/55-20 KO2s, 4 tundra take offs with my 265/60-18 winter Hakkas, 4 other 18” tundra take offs with 275/65-18 defenders. I know I had a problem, the last 7 years I’ve really just wanted RWs… with no luck. In the past for winter I’ve kept the Mis matched size spare as the 20’s were only ~1” OD larger.

This spring I sold the OEM 20’s, tundra wheels with defenders (that were completely worn out) and bought a set of alpha equipt 17’s with 285/70-17. So 2 sets of wheels/tires. But now have a >2” OD difference and think it’s pointless to keep the summer spare in the winter.

To the point. I switched out to winter tires on all my other vehicles last weekend. We are now at six straight days of snow and it doesn’t look like it’s gonna warm up anytime soon, so I have excepted that winter is likely here to stay, so I’m going to do the last vehicle to winter tires my LX today. For years I’ve been looking for a matching 5th for my winter wheels. But I’m in Alaska, shipping from the lower 48 is ~$300 for one wheel and haven’t been able to find one local. So I’m considering not carrying a spare in the winter, throwing in a can of fix a flat, at least until I can find a cheep tundra take off.

Are others running 4 tires ever? If so is there an option in the TPMS? Something else?

Also I rarely drive the LX in the winter. Only really if I need the passenger space or twice a winter for FIS races when we are taking 10-12+ pairs of skis.

There isn’t an 4-tire option that I know of. One method is to put the sender in a chunk of PVC pipe with caps, install a valve stem, and pressurize it to a point that the light goes away. Something like that could live in the jack cubby and you’d never notice.

Prior to this summer I had three sets of wheels for my LX: The 5 OEM 20’s with 275/55-20 KO2s, 4 tundra take offs with my 265/60-18 winter Hakkas, 4 other 18” tundra take offs with 275/65-18 defenders. I know I had a problem, the last 7 years I’ve really just wanted RWs… with no luck. In the past for winter I’ve kept the Mis matched size spare as the 20’s were only ~1” OD larger.

This spring I sold the OEM 20’s, tundra wheels with defenders (that were completely worn out) and bought a set of alpha equipt 17’s with 285/70-17. So 2 sets of wheels/tires. But now have a >2” OD difference and think it’s pointless to keep the summer spare in the winter.

To the point. I switched out to winter tires on all my other vehicles last weekend. We are now at six straight days of snow and it doesn’t look like it’s gonna warm up anytime soon, so I have excepted that winter is likely here to stay, so I’m going to do the last vehicle to winter tires my LX today. For years I’ve been looking for a matching 5th for my winter wheels. But I’m in Alaska, shipping from the lower 48 is ~$300 for one wheel and haven’t been able to find one local. So I’m considering not carrying a spare in the winter, throwing in a can of fix a flat, at least until I can find a cheep tundra take off.

Are others running 4 tires ever? If so is there an option in the TPMS? Something else?

Also I rarely drive the LX in the winter. Only really if I need the passenger space or twice a winter for FIS races when we are taking 10-12+ pairs of skis.
I know you didn't ask for advice on the idea of no winter spare, but I can't resist. A flat tire in an Alaskan winter sounds like very little fun. I'm not even sure how well Fix a Flat works in the cold. And there are lots of tire issues where Fix a Flat doesn't work. So, my advice is to carry something, even if it's the wrong diameter for short distances to get you off the road and out of the wind/snow. That $300 shipping cost for a correct diameter wheel is going to seem like a bargain if you have tire trouble when winter is doing its thing.

I know you didn't ask for advice on the idea of no winter spare, but I can't resist. A flat tire in an Alaskan winter sounds like very little fun. I'm not even sure how well Fix a Flat works in the cold. And there are lots of tire issues where Fix a Flat doesn't work. So, my advice is to carry something, even if it's the wrong diameter for short distances to get you off the road and out of the wind/snow. That $300 shipping cost for a correct diameter wheel is going to seem like a bargain if you have tire trouble when winter is doing its thing.
Thanks, I hear you, I’ve had a hard time Stomaching paying >$400 for a <$100 wheel. I’ll add in the winter I also mostly drive the Tesla and rarely drive the LX outside of Anchorage so further than 7 miles from my house. Last winter I only put 700 miles on it October to May. But you do have a good point,

next question for the group anyone using a steel Tundra spare?

There isn’t an 4-tire option that I know of. One method is to put the sender in a chunk of PVC pipe with caps, install a valve stem, and pressurize it to a point that the light goes away. Something like that could live in the jack cubby and you’d never notice.

AKA pipe bomb.

Another method is dual TPMS in one wheel, with a dual stem wheel, but that means buying more wheels. You could always modify one, but probably not a good idea.
It might also throw off the corner detection, but i don't know if all 200s have that.

I've done this PVC pipe trick to trick TPMS sensors on my 200. It works.

If I was going to run 4 tires and no spare, I'd just keep a plug kit handy and maybe even grab one of those sidewall patch kits. I'm sure you can limp home with some combination of those things.

I like @AnyMal idea. Don’t the alpha equipt rims have two valve stem holes?

Still think you want a fifth/spare though.

I like @AnyMal idea. Don’t the alpha equipt rims have two valve stem holes?

Still think you want a fifth/spare though.

Yes, and yes agreed. Specially in Alaska right? Last frontier or whatever?

Grinchy how are you? I missed you buddy. LOL

Regarding a spare, i just leave my summer KO2 as a spare and run 4 Blizzaks. I have never had a true blow out of a tire in 35 years. So having a mismatched spare doesn’t seem to be a big risk. Anyways, I bet half the vehicles around me have mismatched tires, often mismatched in size as well (although definitely not Subarus. Their owners seem to be paranoid about tires).

thanks for the replies. I’ll keep my summer spare for now and just more regularly check AK list, CL, FB marketplace. I reached out to this guy and offered him $75 for a steel rim with a 9 year old tire, he said no…

DC792D36-EE3E-4AD7-9D74-F163F2A4B529.jpeg

Thanks, I hear you, I’ve had a hard time Stomaching paying >$400 for a <$100 wheel. I’ll add in the winter I also mostly drive the Tesla and rarely drive the LX outside of Anchorage so further than 7 miles from my house. Last winter I only put 700 miles on it October to May. But you do have a good point,

next question for the group anyone using a steel Tundra spare?
Yup, I am using a new (sort of) steel Tundra wheel and tire for my spare for my winter tires. Set was from the spare under a Tundra and is the same diameter as my snow tires. It only cost $40.00 bucks "MT dollars", from a wrecking yard. Installed Autel adjustable angle sensor for the 2011LC.
Programed with an Autel TS 601 TPMS reader twice a year when I switch snows to summer A/T's ect. No one messes with my lug nuts and I don't have to drop it off for a day or couple of hours and hope it didn't get buggered. Lock your glove box. Some tire places with a shop like to ck your cabin filter.

VERY IMPORTANT- Check your lug nuts for a tapered contact surface matching the steel wheels. My OEM lug nuts for my 2011LC will work with both aluminum and steel wheels. Aluminum use self centering with a floating washer and steel wheels have a tapered shoulder at the contact point. If you have after market wheels and or lug nuts, you had better check before preceding and then you will want to carry the correct ones just for the spare. Torque spec is different for steel wheels but that's up to you on the side of the road.

I had multiple total tire failures with my 80 series so I quit using Cooper tires, now all is well again. I won't leave home with out a spare. Do the math or like me, have some one else do the math.

Yup, I am using a new (sort of) steel Tundra wheel and tire for my spare for my winter tires. Set was from the spare under a Tundra and is the same diameter as my snow tires. It only cost $40.00 bucks "MT dollars", from a wrecking yard. Installed Autel adjustable angle sensor for the 2011LC.
Programed with an Autel TS 601 TPMS reader twice a year when I switch snows to summer A/T's ect. No one messes with my lug nuts and I don't have to drop it off for a day or couple of hours and hope it didn't get buggered. Lock your glove box. Some tire places with a shop like to ck your cabin filter.

VERY IMPORTANT- Check your lug nuts for a tapered contact surface matching the steel wheels. My OEM lug nuts for my 2011LC will work with both aluminum and steel wheels. Aluminum use self centering with a floating washer and steel wheels have a tapered shoulder at the contact point. If you have after market wheels and or lug nuts, you had better check before preceding and then you will want to carry the correct ones just for the spare. Torque spec is different for steel wheels but that's up to you on the side of the road.

I had multiple total tire failures with my 80 series so I quit using Cooper tires, now all is well again. I won't leave home with out a spare. Do the math or like me, have some one else do the math.
Thanks I have the same Autel TPMS tool and do my own swap summer and winter. Thanks for the reminder about lug nuts. I’d have to get an extra set for the Steele spare.

Here are my winter (lower) and summer (higher) lug nuts.

6C4F4ED0-DD74-4E05-9F95-45821AA9AE42.jpeg

Good call on the correct lugs. I have five spare RW lugs in the tool compartment in case I go "fudge" from A Christmas Story with mine during a spare changeout.

thanks for the replies. I’ll keep my summer spare for now and just more regularly check AK list, CL, FB marketplace. I reached out to this guy and offered him $75 for a steel rim with a 9 year old tire, he said no…

View attachment 3141672

NO LOW BALLERS I KNOW WHAT I HAVE.

But on topic to your thread, I just figured out that the TPMS system doesn't work at all with just 4 wheels - I'm also in the process of looking for a mismatch spare as I plan on rotating 4. It completely bricks the system and renders it useless for the 4 working TPMs. What a stupid design...

It may not work woth four tpms, but if you put a fifth one in a pressurized pvc tube, the system doesn't know it is being tricked. I ran for months with all five tpms sensors in a container I made for this purpose with parts from the hardware store.
4BA5CCB0-A5B8-4B40-BF60-951437FF70D2.jpeg

(There definitely aren't drugs in this container!)

View attachment 3141672
With all the Tundras on the Peninsula that have been converted to bro trucks I would have to think there are lots of takeoff aluminum rims available. Maybe check with some Toyota dealers or tire retailers to see if they have any? They had to go somewhere.

This the TPMS sensor you use?

Autel TPMS Sensor (315MHz + 433MHz) MX-Sensor Programmable Universal Specially Built for OEM Sensors Replacement (Metal Valve Screw-in) https://a.co/d/8ZjuKVZ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom