What are your 10 essentials? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

#1 Replacement 40 gallon LRA main fuel tank. Hands down my favorite modification to the 100. It "fixes" what I consider the achilles heal of the 100 series: range. It requires no fancy bumper with a swingout, no high dollar roof rack, no lifting gas cans over your head, no potential thievery or forgetting the spout to a gas can. If I buy another 100 series, the big gas tank will be the first modification I do.
Isn't it illegal to add any additional gas tank devices? I was looking into this a while back and everything I read said it's illegal.

If you're on a budget all you need is some 33s, remove the factory running boards and rear mudflaps, and possibly trim your stock bumpers. You'll get through 90% of all trails that a built (not 3X locked) 100 will go through, sure you'll need to take it slower and be more cautious but totally doable.

Isn't it illegal to add any additional gas tank devices? I was looking into this a while back and everything I read said it's illegal.
I believe that it is only illegal in California because of its emissions policy. There are several shops in California that have developed a legal workaround and have the certification. I believe someone mentioned it in that thread posted earlier. I think it has to do with the evap systems and recirculation of unused fuel. Please check me as I am going from memory here.

That's the first I've ever heard carrying extra fuel is illegal. I suspect there could be some issue if you were carrying a can without a CARB stamp in some jurisdictions. The irony is LRA won't sell you an aux tank or replacement tank if you are from California.

I looked and looked and I swear someone posted on this forum about being a supplier of tanks for the VVTI years, I just can't find it though.
It was probably LRA, but I recall some posts about people having issues with the evaporative system, on US later models with LRA aux tanks.

Like this:

Or $10k or $5k or $2.5k of essentials?

We've had the family 100 series for a while now, and with a quiver of daily drivers, I'm looking to shift focus onto the LX to finally get some work done.

It got me thinking, with the incredible range of options for these trucks, and most normal humans not needing most of them, it might be useful to hear some opinions about what the more experienced owners feel are the things they use most of the time, and the ones that they do really deem essential. It also does not need to be "this will save your ass" type of add ons, it could be "this will really make your life better" parts (like an updated stereo). I like to plan, then shop slowly. I'd rather know what it's going to cost ahead of time, and pull in as much wisdom as I can to make better decisions.

I can already hear you all typing this part, so let me first say that this list should be presented with the assumption that all preventative and deferred maintenance has been done, and that the chinks in the 100 series armor have been dealt with. These are items that would be added above and beyond the normal operating parameters. And that the truck has a baseline of semi-aggressive tires.

Some background on our usage:

We have no intention of taking the truck to the Rubicon, or crossing deep rivers, or hammering it up boulders. USFS and off the map forest/logging roads, all seasons. In the past, mainly used for joy riding with my son, but would like to think about using it for overnights or longer during our ownership. I also use it to haul my dirt bike, but that setup is pretty dialed. I like the AHC, and intend on keeping it. Our truck is entirely stock on the inside, save for some weathertech mats, and a Scangauge. I typically carry a Garmin Inreach as well.

Mainly, I do not want to get stuck, without cell service, and have to hit the SOS button on the Garmin. And I also want the cockpit to be a nice place to be for extended periods of time. So, here is my list, or what I think it should be. What should be different, what would you do instead?

1. Traction Devices
  2. Winch Mount/Winch (for factory bumper)
  3. Modern Stereo
  4. Springs/Spacers/torsion bar adjustment/other to balance out AHC for below items
  5. Rear drawers/Storage
  6. Roof top tent
  7. Tablet mount/Tablet (for Gaia or other nav)
  8. Step sliders for ease of entry (small humans, short wife)
  9. Attic storage
  10. Extra "oh s***" reserve fuel storage (roof? rear?)

How far off base am I? What would you do different, remove completely, or laugh at?

It really is going to depend on how you use the vehicle. An item that I might find invaluable, could be utterly useless to you. The best advice I can give, is to get out and use the vehicle, address the shortcomings as you come across them.

It really is going to depend on how you use the vehicle. An item that I might find invaluable, could be utterly useless to you. The best advice I can give, is to get out and use the vehicle, address the shortcomings as you come across them.

Hey there! That's actually the point of the brief. I'm sure there are things that everyone has purchased with whatever hobby that they find to not be an effective use of funds. Items purchased but only realized later are not useful.

I ride mountain bikes, and always tell people that you can get into the sport for a lot less than you think, and to spend your smart money on safety equipment and gear that fits well and is comfortable, tires, and a bike that fits well above all else. Everything else is secondary.

I could go on and on about bike touring as well, items I've bought/brought but didn't end up using ever or needing.

Lots of smart people here on the forums who have more experience than I do out in the world using these trucks. Thanks everyone for the help so far!

Hey there! That's actually the point of the brief. I'm sure there are things that everyone has purchased with whatever hobby that they find to not be an effective use of funds. Items purchased but only realized later are not useful.

I ride mountain bikes, and always tell people that you can get into the sport for a lot less than you think, and to spend your smart money on safety equipment and gear that fits well and is comfortable, tires, and a bike that fits well above all else. Everything else is secondary.

I could go on and on about bike touring as well, items I've bought/brought but didn't end up using ever or needing.

Lots of smart people here on the forums who have more experience than I do out in the world using these trucks. Thanks everyone for the help so far!
W/r to MTB: I'm in that camp. Plan the rig around the hobby. I lucked out in that my old school 2006 specialized stumpy fits in the back (2nd row 60% seat removed).

I have purchased and plan to install the no-cut dissent rear rack ensuring that I have the options for exterior MTB rack.

Other than that, my LC fits the bill for anything I want to do....or used to be able to do :doh:

Learn to drive it. Mud holes are not your friend. Dont bounce the truck while wheeling. You dont need to spend $$$$ to have fun and not get stuck. Get suspension for the weight you will have.

Thanks for the interesting question, good string!

I'd add I've enjoyed the Veepeak OBDCheck BLE Bluetooth OBD II gadget paired with the OBD Fusion app. Get some additional metrics/insights on voltage and engine temp (among others) that give me a bit more peace of mind while roaming with the fam.

I think you’re missing my intended point…

There are things that I’ve added to my 99 LX (extra vehicle, and off road toy) that make perfect sense on that vehicle (rear locker, drawers, or winch for example), that would be a waste of money and unused on my DD 06 LX. The same could be said of things that I have added on the two LXs, when compared to my son’s LC.

Then again, I’m still perfectly happy riding a ~30 year old hard tail Yeti Pro FRO. If I were racing MTB, it probably wouldn’t make sense, but for my uses it does just fine.

If you were making a list of MTB essentials, would you start by recommending a $1k big box store bike, a $10k race bike, or asking how the end user was planning to use it?

You could probably do everything that I saw described in your original post with a stock vehicle. I might argue for a decent set of AT tires and the rocker panel protection of sliders. I’ve seen others state that sliders were the biggest waste of money, and excess weight, that they regretted most.

Last edited:
I think you’re missing my intended point…

There are things that I’ve added to my 99 LX (extra vehicle, and off road toy) that make perfect sense on that vehicle (rear locker, drawers, or winch for example), that would be a waste of money and unused on my DD 06 LX. The same could be said of things that I have added on the two LXs, when compared to my son’s LC.

Then again, I’m still perfectly happy riding a ~30 year old hard tail Yeti Pro FRO. If I were racing MTB, it probably wouldn’t make sense, but for my uses it does just fine.

If you were making a list of MTB essentials, would you start by recommending a $1k big box store bike, a $10k race bike, or asking how the end user was planning to use it?

You could probably do everything that I saw described in your original post with a stock vehicle. I might argue for a decent set of AT tires and the rocker panel protection of sliders. I’ve seen others state that sliders were the biggest waste of money, and excess weight, that they regretted most.

I guess that's my point then. I'm not looking to argue with anyone about this, especially so when I am asking for free advice. But that sort of information you provided in the last paragraph is what the intent of the thread was. In my original post I stated my intended use, and I was asking for advice on what people like to use, find a high value in, or hate that they purchased for a soft road family hauler, non-DD. Can the 100 do it just fine without anything added? Probably. But does something like an awning, storage boxes/drawers, or a winch (none of which I have ever used and are not insignificant costs), add a significant amount of benefit or piece of mind in the real world?

I appreciate the collective hive mind of well put together forums. I miss it from the early 2000's before everything migrated to FB and the s*** show that became. This forum is one of the last bastions i've found of that era and I've learned to read and respect what people say on here, as you all have much more knowledge around these trucks than I do.

Also, keep the rubber side down on the Yeti! Most people I see are way overgunned on the trails these days out my way, and there ain't nothing better than a hardtail on most days. I have a Honzo ST that I absolutely can't get enough of.

It was probably LRA, but I recall some posts about people having issues with the evaporative system, on US later models with LRA aux tanks.

Like this:

That's not the thread I'm thinking of but that definitely would be a nightmare to deal with. I was looking to replace the main tank. Meh, maybe carrying an extra 20L Scepter isn't the end of the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom