What are your 10 essentials? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Or $10k or $5k or $2.5k of essentials?

We've had the family 100 series for a while now, and with a quiver of daily drivers, I'm looking to shift focus onto the LX to finally get some work done.

It got me thinking, with the incredible range of options for these trucks, and most normal humans not needing most of them, it might be useful to hear some opinions about what the more experienced owners feel are the things they use most of the time, and the ones that they do really deem essential. It also does not need to be "this will save your ass" type of add ons, it could be "this will really make your life better" parts (like an updated stereo). I like to plan, then shop slowly. I'd rather know what it's going to cost ahead of time, and pull in as much wisdom as I can to make better decisions.

I can already hear you all typing this part, so let me first say that this list should be presented with the assumption that all preventative and deferred maintenance has been done, and that the chinks in the 100 series armor have been dealt with. These are items that would be added above and beyond the normal operating parameters. And that the truck has a baseline of semi-aggressive tires.

Some background on our usage:

We have no intention of taking the truck to the Rubicon, or crossing deep rivers, or hammering it up boulders. USFS and off the map forest/logging roads, all seasons. In the past, mainly used for joy riding with my son, but would like to think about using it for overnights or longer during our ownership. I also use it to haul my dirt bike, but that setup is pretty dialed. I like the AHC, and intend on keeping it. Our truck is entirely stock on the inside, save for some weathertech mats, and a Scangauge. I typically carry a Garmin Inreach as well.

Mainly, I do not want to get stuck, without cell service, and have to hit the SOS button on the Garmin. And I also want the cockpit to be a nice place to be for extended periods of time. So, here is my list, or what I think it should be. What should be different, what would you do instead?

1. Traction Devices
  2. Winch Mount/Winch (for factory bumper)
  3. Modern Stereo
  4. Springs/Spacers/torsion bar adjustment/other to balance out AHC for below items
  5. Rear drawers/Storage
  6. Roof top tent
  7. Tablet mount/Tablet (for Gaia or other nav)
  8. Step sliders for ease of entry (small humans, short wife)
  9. Attic storage
  10. Extra "oh s***" reserve fuel storage (roof? rear?)

How far off base am I? What would you do different, remove completely, or laugh at?

#1 Replacement 40 gallon LRA main fuel tank. Hands down my favorite modification to the 100. It "fixes" what I consider the achilles heal of the 100 series: range. It requires no fancy bumper with a swingout, no high dollar roof rack, no lifting gas cans over your head, no potential thievery or forgetting the spout to a gas can. If I buy another 100 series, the big gas tank will be the first modification I do.

First mod would be tires. But seeing you already have those I would next go to sliders. That's the one piece of hardware that always gets used. Bumpers, if damaged, can always be replaced later. Rocker panels not so much.

I just purchased an 06. This is my sub $5,000 priority list

1. Tires (BFG 275/70/182) - $1600)
2. Lift (Removed Running Boards) - $0
3. Audio (Ordered USA Spec BT-45 for Streaming) - $200
4. Sliders (Just ordered MTs) - $1600
5. Actuator Motors - $25

We've had the family 100 series for a while now, and with a quiver of daily drivers, I'm looking to shift focus onto the LX to finally get some work done.

It got me thinking, with the incredible range of options for these trucks, and most normal humans not needing most of them, it might be useful to hear some opinions about what the more experienced owners feel are the things they use most of the time, and the ones that they do really deem essential. It also does not need to be "this will save your ass" type of add ons, it could be "this will really make your life better" parts (like an updated stereo). I like to plan, then shop slowly. I'd rather know what it's going to cost ahead of time, and pull in as much wisdom as I can to make better decisions.

I can already hear you all typing this part, so let me first say that this list should be presented with the assumption that all preventative and deferred maintenance has been done, and that the chinks in the 100 series armor have been dealt with. These are items that would be added above and beyond the normal operating parameters. And that the truck has a baseline of semi-aggressive tires.

We have no intention of taking the truck to the Rubicon, or crossing deep rivers, or hammering it up boulders. USFS and off the map forest/logging roads, all seasons. In the past, mainly used for joy riding with my son, but would like to think about using it for overnights or longer during our ownership. I also use it to haul my dirt bike, but that setup is pretty dialed. I like the AHC, and intend on keeping it. Our truck is entirely stock on the inside, save for some weathertech mats, and a Scangauge. I typically carry a Garmin Inreach as well.

Mainly, I do not want to get stuck, without cell service, and have to hit the SOS button on the Garmin. And I also want the cockpit to be a nice place to be for extended periods of time. So, here is my list, or what I think it should be. What should be different, what would you do instead?

1. Traction Devices
  3. Modern Stereo
  4. Springs/Spacers/torsion bar adjustment/other to balance out AHC for below items
  5. Rear drawers/Storage
  6. Roof top tent
  9. Attic storage

How far off base am I? What would you do different, remove completely, or laugh at?

1. Yes and/or lockers depending on budget
2. Yes, hidden front winch is the best solution without going full front bumper replacement if you travel solo.
3. Yes, Nav delete for the ****ing win
4. I had to do springs for the 700# of camping gear and family, the lift looks nice too, but mainly functional.
5. I went with storage boxes, drawers are heavy, expensive, and for me, would not have been that functional.
6. Roof top tents have to be one of the biggest scams out there (bring the hate, I don't care), most people, especially families would be much better served with a gazelle or similar ground tent. Also root top tents eliminate your ability to load up the roof, which would not work for all the gear I have to bring for my family to camp.
7. Yes, an ipad mini/ipad in a cheap amazon mount on the dash with gaia and a little bluetooth gps beacon is perfect for navigating.
8. Yes, WKO makes great step sliders while still being functional and look great.
9. Can't ever have enough storage space, I guess.
10. I went rear bumper for fuel and water storage, triple jerry can. The water was 100% necessary, the fuel I hope never is necessary but it's cheap insurance and might help someone else on the trail.

11. Upgrade headlights if yours suck like my 2002 LC's did. Bi-xenon projectors are great and the retrofit wasn't that hard.
12. Fridge/Freezer Combo with slide, this is the single best upgrade I made that keeps my wife and kid loving to camp.
13. Roof rack and roof storage system (front runner or similar).

1665828496964.png

1665829234056.png

Last edited:
Drawers are heavy- I prefer storage bins. But…I did build a small cabinet to hold my “kitchen”. It’s seriously convenient and I love how easy it is to be up and cooking. I don’t have an 270 awning yet, but it’s on my short list. Think really hard about the practicality of a roof top tent before spending the money - I see way more negatives than positives.

41F0726A-F3F2-498C-8D41-CC96A8D07C21.jpeg

For my personal use #1 has been drawers. Drawers hold a massive amount of crap, keep it all out of sight and make a great sleeping platform. I’ve been on the road for nearly a year now and couldn’t imagine doing it without my drawers.

A mountain bike. When camp is set up my truck is pretty much locked down and I still have wheels to get around.

Tailgate storage. Relatively inexpensive for a huge gain in storage space.

Modern head unit with navigation. Life got soooo much easier when that went in.

270° awning, it massively increases my living area. I don’t use it all the time but when the sun is burning you or it’s raining it is an absolute lifesaver.

USB rechargeable bug zapper and fan/light combo. Less than $20 each and was a game changer this summer.

I don’t have sliders and haven’t needed them for what I do. They’re on the list though, would be nice for steps and insurance if I do something stupid. Same with a winch.

Fridge is my next priority. F**king around with ice every other day in a Yeti absolutely SUCKS.

On board air is also very high on my want list. The ability to air down and smooth out the ride for those long dirt roads adds a ton of comfort. I could also think of dozens of other uses for air.

For my personal use #1 has been drawers. Drawers hold a massive amount of crap, keep it all out of sight and make a great sleeping platform. I’ve been on the road for nearly a year now and couldn’t imagine doing it without my drawers.

A mountain bike. When camp is set up my truck is pretty much locked down and I still have wheels to get around.

Tailgate storage. Relatively inexpensive for a huge gain in storage space.

Modern head unit with navigation. Life got soooo much easier when that went in.

270° awning, it massively increases my living area. I don’t use it all the time but when the sun is burning you or it’s raining it is an absolute lifesaver.

USB rechargeable bug zapper and fan/light combo. Less than $20 each and was a game changer this summer.

I don’t have sliders and haven’t needed them for what I do. They’re on the list though, would be nice for steps and insurance if I do something stupid. Same with a winch.

Fridge is my next priority. F**king around with ice every other day in a Yeti absolutely SUCKS.

On board air is also very high on my want list. The ability to air down and smooth out the ride for those long dirt roads adds a ton of comfort. I could also think of dozens of other uses for air.
This list is spot on. Also, do tell more about this super fancy bug zapper awesomeness. Need to add an LRA 40 gallon to this list as well.

Amazon product ASIN B0998D5GRQ
My biggest regret is buying a late 100 primarily because the 40g tank (or aux tank) is not an option.
Really? I was under the impression it was a replacement for the OEM tank so the aux is not necessary. And thanks for the link a couple of these are going in the cart now.

Really? I was under the impression it was a replacement for the OEM tank so the aux is not necessary. And thanks for the link a couple of these are going in the cart now.

LRA doesn’t offer anything for 100’s built after May 2004.

LRA doesn’t offer anything for 100’s built after May 2004.
Well, that is a big ole bunch of garbage. Someone should sue them.

#1 = tires
#2 = steel/aluminum front bumper, because it doesn’t take much of an animal to obliterate the plastic bumper cover and bust your radiator, leaving you stranded.
#3 = sliders
#4 = winch
#5 = beer/whiskey/etc. of your choice

#1 = tires
#2 = steel/aluminum front bumper, because it doesn’t take much of an animal to obliterate the plastic bumper cover and bust your radiator, leaving you stranded.
#3 = sliders
#4 = winch
#5 = beer/whiskey/etc. of your choice
Does #5 really belong on the list as it is mandatory like gasoline? Can't get too far without either. :rofl:

Does #5 really belong on the list as it is mandatory like gasoline? Can't get too far without either. :rofl:
I concur…but sometimes stating the obvious is necessary 😬

I concur…but sometimes stating the obvious is necessary 😬
Touche' as Pappy fills out the above-listed budget nicely. Perhaps Louie if you're feeling fancy like high-octane non-ethanol fuel.

1. Traction Devices
  3. Modern Stereo
  5. Rear drawers/Storage
  6. Roof top tent
  9. Attic storage

Yep, pretty great 10. Nice touch of upgrading suspension although AHC. I also like thinking about traction devices rather than the tow ropes and soft shackle stuff I've been focused on. I guess I always picture the Cruiser doing the rescuin' rather than bein' rescued.. good thinking on the opp side.

Touche' as Pappy fills out the above-listed budget nicely. Perhaps Louie if you're feeling fancy like high-octane non-ethanol fuel.
I’m a scaliwag - Jack it is. Might can run the 2uz on it if hard up for cash, too.

Reactions: GTV
I looked and looked and I swear someone posted on this forum about being a supplier of tanks for the VVTI years, I just can't find it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom