Winch Size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One other experience with a mud recovery. Buried the 80 to the frame in thick, concrete like silt. Several attempts to snatch recover couldn't even budge the truck. A recovery from the rear was unsuccessful. The other truck that was with me did not have a winch so we didn't want to send them around me and risk getting them stuck as well. There was nothing to hook a winch to for a front recovery and we sat in the riverbed for almost 3 hours before another vehicle happened to come along on the opposite bank in front of us. We flagged them down and asked to use their truck as a winch anchor. A bit of digging to give the front tires some room to climb rather that plow the mud and the 9500lb ComeUp popped the truck out easily with a straight line pull.

Mud recoveries can definitely be harder pulls than rock crawling recoveries because of the suction and resistance in the mud. This is why having a pulley block (or two) for a double or even triple line pull can be very valuable. Having quality recovery gear (not cheap amazon Chinese knockoffs) that are rated correctly is also important.
IMG_6908 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_6907 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_6918 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

First picture looks like the wall, 2018 Cruise Moab I ran the trail with you, we were the only ones to make it up unassisted
That’s where I snapped my first nitro rear shaft back in 2017. The wife and I were alone. My Warn HS9500i handled the pull in single line configuration no problem but that was far from the hardest pull I’ve done with it. I actually toasted that winch in deep snow prior to that in 2015. It would heat up, stop working, and then work again after cooling down. I should have used a snatch block because I had to spin the 80 on a dime. Again, I was alone, which is why my winch has to work. I repaired that winch and since then I am much more inclined to use a snatch block.

If I ever buy another winch it will definitely be an M12,000. If you have ever seen the difference in the size of the internal parts when comparing Warn’s three 12,000lb winches you would know why. The VR12 is made overseas and has the wimpiest internals, the Zeon is made here but it’s internals look small sitting beside the guts out of an M12 also made here. You get what you pay for in most instances.

My first winch was an Engo 10,000 with synthetic line. I did not purchase this winch so much by choice but it came new in the box with my green 94 purchase (RIP). That Engo seemed to pull fine but sounded like it had rocks inside it. About the tenth time I went to use it, again during winter, the brake mechanism broke and jammed the drum. It wanted to go but couldn’t. I was alone that day too. That’s when I bought my current Warn on CL. It sounds like a sewing machine by comparison.

The Engo guys are about 30 minutes from my home over in Vancouver, WA. I called them up like 4 years after that winch brake broke and long past the warranty period. They had me bring the winch to them and they replaced the brake with an upgraded unit and gave me a new wire rope because the synthetic line had gotten hot and literally melted together. No more synthetic line for me. It also seems to abrade on rocks whereas the wire rope can take a beating at the cost of extra weight but I’m not racing.

So if anyone wants an Engo 10k I have one sitting on the shelf now, probably 3 years, ready to astound you with its impression of a rock grinder while it’s pulling your junk to safety. Actually, I added grease to the gears and it’s not so loud as it was out of the box.

For an 80; 12,000 or even bigger.

Not sure where you head that. They are all feet down design, but the motor/clutch can be rotated on most models to make them feet forward. They often recommend feet forward so that the forces on the mounting bolts is in line with the bolts rather than putting them in shear.
Thanks for the clarification...I guess with all of the sites, forums, etc. that I was going through, I came up with this "fact" that must have been hearsay. I may have also wanted a reason to discount the ComeUp not fitting in my application as the 12.5 Seal is 24.2", and that would be a very tight fit in my available space....would be my first winch choice for sure, but not from any personal experience at this point.

Hydraulic 12k winch, I have the Milemarker but others are around and some with faster linespeeds. 100% duty cycle, OEM power steering pump does an ok job but adding a larger cooler and more fluid volume to the system never hurts. (I would like to run a different pump in the OEM location and hydro assist one day.)

Was stuck in the mud up to the bumpers and actually stalled the winch out. It was raining and was trying to get out in a hurry and all it did was make my truck into a plow by pulling it straight through the mud. It did end up stalling out so had another truck pull me out from the rear with a pto winch. I have installed a throttle lock since then, to keep the rpm up which isn't a bad idea for any type of winching needs.

Solar is definitely an issue, especially for synthetic line. The buggy is almost never kept outside, and I usually have room in the shop for the 80 too. BJ74 is a garage queen.

Ya learn a lot in 30+ years of wheeling...and I've made my fair share of mistakes :)

Glad you touched on it too - and why I did that sun-shield for the spool on my exposed M12K Warn

Sampson rope who make the Blue Steel lineup is very clear about UV damage to the line -I forget the tech name for it, but they all suffer if you don’t do some basics to keep it protected & expect more than ~3yrs from it.

Hydraulic 12k winch, I have the Milemarker but others are around and some with faster linespeeds. 100% duty cycle, OEM power steering pump does an ok job but adding a larger cooler and more fluid volume to the system never hurts. (I would like to run a different pump in the OEM location and hydro assist one day.)
AS far as I know there is no other pump fore the 1FZ that would go in the the OEM location.

The OEM pump is barely adequate for hydro assist as is and to my knowledge can not be modified for more power 🤷‍♂️

One other experience with a mud recovery. Buried the 80 to the frame in thick, concrete like silt. Several attempts to snatch recover couldn't even budge the truck. A recovery from the rear was unsuccessful. The other truck that was with me did not have a winch so we didn't want to send them around me and risk getting them stuck as well. There was nothing to hook a winch to for a front recovery and we sat in the riverbed for almost 3 hours before another vehicle happened to come along on the opposite bank in front of us. We flagged them down and asked to use their truck as a winch anchor. A bit of digging to give the front tires some room to climb rather that plow the mud and the 9500lb ComeUp popped the truck out easily with a straight line pull.

Mud recoveries can definitely be harder pulls than rock crawling recoveries because of the suction and resistance in the mud. This is why having a pulley block (or two) for a double or even triple line pull can be very valuable. Having quality recovery gear (not cheap amazon Chinese knockoffs) that are rated correctly is also important.
IMG_6908 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_6907 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_6918 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr
The only time I have broken gear is doing mud extractions. Not knowing any better most of that gear was from the local hardware store. Now my gear is all rated at double my winch capacity and sourced from quality retailers that rate the working load and failure load.

AS far as I know there is no other pump fore the 1FZ that would go in the the OEM location.

The OEM pump is barely adequate for hydro assist as is and to my knowledge can not be modified for more power 🤷‍♂️
THE best place ti out anche hydraulic puma dedicaded is the PTO .
there you can puma all day long at the speed you want .
very easy fitting .

8274s go on FJ40s 🙂
And some 80’s as well..😉
286BF414-0129-426C-ABF1-DE527C9D42FB.png

If the car is not running a big pull will dry batteries in 10/20 seconds .
and after you might be out , but with a dead battery and dead car .
I will "risk" a PTO any day on this .
but we are all different :cool:

Not sure where you head that. They are all feet down design, but the motor/clutch can be rotated on most models to make them feet forward. They often recommend feet forward so that the forces on the mounting bolts is in line with the bolts rather than putting them in shear.
I just wanted to follow up on this...oh yeah, congrats on being the SOLO tester! I thought that I had read somewhere that the Comeup was a foot forward only mount, but it looks like what I saw was a manual for the 12.5's which do specifically say in the manual that they are foot forward only. Here's the installation guide with mounting options listed that show foot forward for the 12.5's and up only (but I haven't seen a SOLO install guide to confirm on that one). That said, I think I'm going to grab the 9.5 Seal for my 80 is it's a really tight fit between my frame rails where I want to put it...and I appreciate your input and real world reviews!

And this version stating "foot forward mounting only" in the mounting instructions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom