Stock height springs for an FJ60 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not sure if you saw the post about the tie rod ends, but I had posted the wrong link (for right and drive). Updated the link, but here it is for reference: Tie Rod End Kit - Fits 8/80'-90 60/62 Series Left Hand Drive - https://cruiserteq.com/tie-rod-end-kit-fits-8-80-90-60-62-series-left-hand-drive/
I did. I didn’t order tie rod ends I had already replaced mine. I didn’t bother to look but I saw that mud member mention they where for right hand drive.
Thanks

I stumbled on this thread because I was curious if anything was available between stock and 2". @jawbone did you get the General Springs? I'm not opposed to a lift but don't really need it. More interested in ride quality / comfort.

I ended up cancelling the order for my front springs from General Springs. Fronts were still back ordered in late May after placing order in early Nov '21. They did ship the rears, so I am selling those and going with Dobinsons, I think. Also, really poor communication and customer service - they frequently didn't bother to answer my emails, and getting the refund wasn't easy.

I stumbled on this thread because I was curious if anything was available between stock and 2". @jawbone did you get the General Springs? I'm not opposed to a lift but don't really need it. More interested in ride quality / comfort.
What's wrong with your stock springs? If there are broken leaves, you should be able to source a replacement from a MUD member or one of the many Cruiser vendors.

What's wrong with your stock springs? If there are broken leaves, you should be able to source a replacement from a MUD member or one of the many Cruiser vendors.
No broken springs. My original springs look ok from what I can tell. I was just curious as to what options exist as I’m due for steering and suspension maintenance anyway. Toying with the idea of a little bit of lift and interested in ways to improve the ride of a 62 that spends its time on the pavement.

No broken springs. My original springs look ok from what I can tell. I was just curious as to what options exist as I’m due for steering and suspension maintenance anyway. Toying with the idea of a little bit of lift and interested in ways to improve the ride of a 62 that spends its time on the pavement.
Some people will tell you that a lifted 62 will ride better than stock. Hmm, perhaps. Color me highly skeptical. You've got a truck with two solid axles and leaf springs in every corner, so it's never going to ride great. That said, I was satisfied with the ride of my 62 with stock springs, small lift shackles and OME shocks. If you have an opportunity to drive someone else's 60 with a different suspension setup, that could be helpful.
SOR's comfort ride suspension might be the lowest aftermarket lift available. With their price, it better have a decent ride!

That’s a good suggestion and in line with what @cruisermatt was suggesting we do when I drop it off to him in a couple weeks. I need new shocks and steering stabilizer anyway, so do new shackles & bushings while I’m at it. Definitely not expecting a 200 series ride, but my previous 60 before this 62 came with an OME setup from a PO (not sure what “duty”) and it was a better ride than my current 62. That could have been just been due to the newer shocks on the OME setup.

I have a stock height 60 and one with OME heavy springs. The stock height is far better in terms of pavement manners. I am really debating whether I ever want to lift it.

Years ago I purchased two front springs from this place:

They fit perfectly and worked out well. Just another option you may want to try if other suppliers are not able to ship.

I ended up cancelling the order for my front springs from General Springs. Fronts were still back ordered in late May after placing order in early Nov '21. They did ship the rears, so I am selling those and going with Dobinsons, I think. Also, really poor communication and customer service - they frequently didn't bother to answer my emails, and getting the refund wasn't easy.
I only received just the rears from this company.
What pita and the fronts are still on BO till who knows when.?
Not happy at all with them.

Cancelled order with General Springs of KS, which couldn't get the stock-height fronts after nine months. Then ordered fronts from SD Truck Springs, which also couldn't get them after a month, so I ordered fronts and rears from Dobinsons. All shipped within a couple days. Springs look way beefier and better than the rears I got from GS, and service couldn't have been better. Thx David!

I removed one leaf from the front (now 5) and one from rear pack (now 6) so as not to go up so much. These are suppose to lift 1 3/4"so hopefully I end up about 1 1/2" or so higher with one leaf removed.

The General rear springs measure 46" eye to eye, and the Dobinsons measure 44. Not sure if I should be worried about that.
Will post update with pix after the install.

IMG_8477.JPG

Cancelled order with General Springs of KS, which couldn't get the stock-height fronts after nine months. Then ordered fronts from SD Truck Springs, which also couldn't get them after a month, so I ordered fronts and rears from Dobinsons. All shipped within a couple days. Springs look way beefier and better than the rears I got from GS, and service couldn't have been better. Thx David!

I removed one leaf from the front (now 5) and one from rear pack (now 6) so as not to go up so much. These are suppose to lift 1 3/4"so hopefully I end up about 1 1/2" or so higher with one leaf removed.

The General rear springs measure 46" eye to eye, and the Dobinsons measure 44. Not sure if I should be worried about that.
I got the heavy kit from Dobinsons, seems like nice stuff. I realize you aren't planning to lift yours much, but my only disappointment with getting Dobinsons is they didn't say anything about front axle shims, drive shaft angle, drive shaft length, or the rear brake LPSV height. All stuff I had to get figured out later and with multiple trips to the install shop. So be sure you're prepared for those items if they need to be addressed. My rear axle definitely changed position, I had to shorten the driveshaft by about 3/4 inch. The much improved ride is/was worth it. I went for the IMS shocks.

Last edited:

View attachment 3072516
Did Dobinsons give you guidance on which leaf to pull?

Last edited:
Just said pull one leaf. Will confirm with them about which one, now that you mention.

@toy_tek are you saying I may need to adjust driveshaft length with this modest lift? How would I even do that?

Just said pull one leaf. Will confirm with them about which one, now that you mention.

@toy_tek are you saying I may need to adjust driveshaft length with this modest lift? How would I even do that?
I'm saying it could be a possibility, you won't know until you get ready to re-install the driveshaft. It didn't cross my mind that it could be required so I'm mentioning it to you to be aware of the possibility. I had to get mine shortened at a driveline shop. Maybe you'll get lucky.

I can't imagine you'd need to change the driveshaft length. People put the OME 2-3" lift on these trucks every day and most require zero additional modifications. Cruiser Outfitters doesnt even typically recommend using a longer rear brake hose (tho I did).

Also, as the OP of this thread... I just finished putting my 60 back together, and not having any options for stock height springs, opted for the standard OME light/medium lift (2-3"). It definitely looks good, but getting in and out (and putting kids in car seats) is tough.. I still wish there were stock height spring options. Maybe I'll try removing a leaf or two some day. This is it with 33" KO2s:

33.jpg

We are 1-2 months out of having new stock height springs, made in Japan for the 40/41/42 and 60/61/62 platforms. Very excited to see how these work 😎😎

EDIT: SOLD

Selling the stock height leafs I bought (fronts from SD, rears from General Spring.) Part #s: 90-105 rears, 90-102 fronts. Five-leaf fronts, six-leaf rears. These are an exact fit to the OEM springs. Bought these new because I wanted to keep my 1983 FJ60 at stock height, but later changed course and bought Dobinsons with a lift.

Brand new front and rear Spectre Off Road axle bolts I can include.

Asking $650 USD for the set of four. Willing to ship but buyer pays shipping, FedEx or Purolator.
EDIT: SOLD

Here's some pix with the Dobinsons installed, and one of the spring set for sale.

IMG_8502.jpg

IMG_8500.jpg

IMG_8494.JPG

IMG_8840 2.JPG

IMG_8683.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom