Introduction and Grumpy FJ40 Adventures (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm extra good at buying cheap POS and mashing them together with too much money :rofl:.

Take your time and find a good one. I've worked on and seen WAY too many South American specials that looked about like that yellow one. They never turn out well.

I would 100% buy from someone on here that is trustworthy, or find an original less molested one to fix up.

My 2 cents: Take your time. Read and linger on the forum and absorb. Keep an eye on the classified section here. There are plenty of horror stories of folks who have gotten burned from Ebay. I believe that you will be far happier in the long run when you find an original unmolested specimen or one that a MUD member has done a good honest job with all of the mechanicals.
Welcome to the madness. This 👆👆 read, don’t rush in.. This group knows their shiet. Check the FAQS, rebuilds etc… you will find one. 🍺

Twice the price of this truck for sale in classifieds if you like mustard yellow....

If you're paying $40k for an FJ40, it needs to be perfect. Too many well kept trucks that aren't hiding things for much less money are available.

Don't get caught up rushing into buying something overpriced. Take your time and physically look at a bunch of trucks. Prices are going to do nothing but come down here over the next year as folks feel the squeeze of the current administrations poor economic policies and these toys need to be sold for actual needs like food and fuel.
So, seriously, this is a good starting point? I'd much rather have a good basis vehicle and spend the difference in getting her right. I don't have the knowledge base in this arena to be competitive.

There is a local Land Cruiser club in Birmingham, Dixie Land Cruisers. I’m not sure how many 40’s are the club but they are a good group of folks. I can probably get you a phone number for a member I know. They also have a page in the clubhouse section of Mud.

So, seriously, this is a good starting point? I'd much rather have a good basis vehicle and spend the difference in getting her right. I don't have the knowledge base in this arena to be competitive.
From my end of the computer it looks like one worth investigating further compared to the ones that you posted previously. A user earlier commented it had a fiberglass tub. That means original sheet metal replaced for some reason, chances are rust issues. That would warrant looking into the condition of the frame and rest of the remaining sheet metal very thoroughly. The seller is a member here so you may ask them some question in their sale ad, or reach out to them privately. Do you require a hard top? Because that truck doesn't come with one.

No matter the truck, you'll be spending money on it post purchase. The only way to get one that is really really close to needing nothing is to have one of only a handful of reputable shops build you a truck that is 100% mechanically sound. To do that, you're looking at spending twice your budget and that doesn't include any body restorations, just purely mechanical systems rebuilds (engine & systems, trans, t-case, axles & brakes, electrical). Even then, most of these old inline 6 engines are a crap shoot based on age, use, maintenance history, and who has touched them in the past. You could buy a $70k restored truck with a "rebuilt" 2f and have it blow in the first 1,000 miles. You could buy a $15k 50 year old survivor truck with original F engine and have it outlast your lifetime with proper maintenance.

It is my opinion that you can buy a very solid FJ40 for under $15k and tinker on it as you see fit and have a nice truck for well under your budget. I know its a fact because I've done it with two of my FJ40s in the past year.

Personally I would keep the search more local, unless you just have to have one now. If you had to have one now, I would only be looking at trucks in AZ, NV, or CA to try and buy as rust free truck as possible. Rust spots in the rear sill or rocker panels wouldn't concern me if the paint is original. What you don't want is a truck with frame issues due to rust, or a truck that needs front fenders, rear wheel wells, quarter panels, and floor pans - basically any truck that has lived its life anywhere in the mid west or east coast. If you are OK being patient, I would look on craigslist, facebook, and offer up every single day within a 100 mile radius of your home, and look at as many as you can tolerate to understand more about these trucks.

Check it…Offer 22k fly and drive home.

My 2 cents: Take your time. Read and linger on the forum and absorb. Keep an eye on the classified section here. There are plenty of horror stories of folks who have gotten burned from Ebay. I believe that you will be far happier in the long run when you find an original unmolested specimen or one that a MUD member has done a good honest job with all of the mechanicals.
Agree 100% and I am so glad I waited for the right one. There are quite a few overpriced FJ40s out there, people seem to think they are made of gold; don't indulge their delusions of grandeur. If I had to start over again, I'd find something around $20k that needed a little work, invest a couple thousand into fixing it up yourself while you're learning about it and use the rest of your budget for gasoline as you're driving the crap out of it. Good luck Grumpy!

Last edited:
OK, is there anyone on here that knows someone in, or near, Huntington Beach, CA that could check out a FJ40 for me? I've spoken to the owner and might make an offer on one of the ones that was recommended in this thread. I don't know how this works but I could compensate for time.

OK, is there anyone on here that knows someone in, or near, Huntington Beach, CA that could check out a FJ40 for me? I've spoken to the owner and might make an offer on one of the ones that was recommended in this thread. I don't know how this works but I could compensate for time.

I'm pretty close.

FYI, the seller of that 40 just bought some wheels from me a couple weeks back. I'm not super local to him and he used a co-worker to pick them up from me, but the transaction was perfect. I wouldn't hesitate to do a transaction with @IconTacoma. His '75 really does look super clean and I'm surprised it has lasted this long for sale. It would be at the top of my list if I was looking for an FJ40 to have as my only toy. I don't have the bandwidth to make it out to HB to look at it with my current commitments unfortunately, but it looks like Jorge has you hooked up to take a look at it!

FYI, the seller of that 40 just bought some wheels from me a couple weeks back. I'm not super local to him and he used a co-worker to pick them up from me, but the transaction was perfect. I wouldn't hesitate to do a transaction with @IconTacoma. His '75 really does look super clean and I'm surprised it has lasted this long for sale. It would be at the top of my list if I was looking for an FJ40 to have as my only toy. I don't have the bandwidth to make it out to HB to look at it with my current commitments unfortunately, but it looks like Jorge has you hooked up to take a look at it!
I just got off the phone with Jorge and he and Andrew are going to coordinate a day to do it. Thanks for your help and I think you are right; both guys seem first rate to me.

Out of the 2 that one seems the most interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom