New to me BJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FDo5g

GOLD Star
Threads
Greetings,

I recently acquired this 1978 BJ40 with a 3B engine and started working to get it on the road. Little did I know that the vehicle would spend the next eight months in and out of five different shops, working on electrical problems, fuel, leaks, oil, leaks, etc. I think I finally have had upon the resource that I’ve been lacking this whole time when I logged into ih8mud!

I look forward to getting to know the other long-suffering FJ/BJ 40 enthusiasts!

90496066-092B-412A-BA6F-05C8CEC4B73E.jpeg

97671916-6C96-40AE-B146-3779EAF00B9A.jpeg

4F01803A-7022-4AE4-8440-BE4E6B7173B4.jpeg

367E9285-23EB-4C84-9955-2F614E43C6DC.png

3AE4D192-4361-4953-81FA-DEC6027BF8DF.jpeg

C51B8959-2CCE-41EB-AFC9-20F9FA351688.jpeg

7B14CFD6-A650-4D86-90B7-8C9F9DF67E50.jpeg

@FDo5g Congrats and Welcome !!

Nice Rig,

Don't suffer !, ultimately enjoy ;)

too bad you didn't look here before your purchase.

lots of good info and knowledge here.

do you have a plan to replace the rear shackles?

Tell me your thoughts about the rear shackles. Are you suggesting that I put on smaller shackles and re-shape or replace the leaf springs?

Generally aftermarket extended shackles offered are no more than 2" over stock and some times shorter. I believe stk shackle length is about 2 3/4". Yours appear to be about a foot over stk. These are dangerous. Most folks purchase lift springs and extended shackles to achieve the lift they desire. Your front ones are scary and dangerous. I bet it drives twitchy. I'd park it until the suspension is corrected.

Last edited:
Generally aftermarket extended shackles offered are no more than 2" over stock and some times shorter. I believe stk shackle length is about 2 3/4". Yours appear to be about a foot over stk. These are dangerous. Most folks purchase lift springs and extended shackles to achieve the lift they desire. Your front ones are scary and dangerous. I bet it drives twitchy. I'd park it until the suspension is corrected.
That is super helpful advice - new leaf springs or reshape the ones I have?

My guess is that you have stk springs and someone cheated by making and adapting those shackles so the tire would fit. I would opt for some decent lift springs, shocks, bushings and the proper extended shackles if you want to run those tires and rims.
What size tires are they?

Curious, wasn't it Vintage Off Road before? First time I actually looked to see where it is actually located. Driven within a quarter mile many times.

My guess is that you have stk springs and someone cheated by making and adapting those shackles so the tire would fit. I would opt for some decent lift springs, shocks, bushings and the proper extended shackles if you want to run those tires and rims.
What size tires are they?
I ordered the OME 2 inch light lift kit - will post pictures when it is installed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom