Recommendations for front skid plate? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Show me what u got!
My OEM plate fell off after going in for a cheapo oil change (yes, i know). Time for the shop to buy me a new skid plate. What should i get?

ARB's are a good, relatively low-cost option for an everyday GX. I've had mine on for around 18 months. They have some battle scars but have protected my GX well while off-roading.

There are other options that are more robust, but they also cost and weigh a lot more (and aren't really necessary unless you are rock crawling).

ARB's are a good, relatively low-cost option for an everyday GX. I've had mine on for around 18 months. They have some battle scars but have protected my GX well while off-roading.

There are other options that are more robust, but they also cost and weigh a lot more (and aren't really necessary unless you are rock crawling).
I like my asfir. It’s aluminum and pretty light but still 1/4” thick and held up nicely on some recent rock crawls. Still have access to diff and sump drains and can get the oil filter off for changes (though it does get a bit sloppy).

I like my asfir. It’s aluminum and pretty light but still 1/4” thick and held up nicely on some recent rock crawls. Still have access to diff and sump drains and can get the oil filter off for changes (though it does get a bit sloppy).
the hardware does stand out so it’s not perfectly flush and I guess that could be a problem if you’re sliding over stuff a lot but for a replacement of oem on a moderate wheeler, I’m satisfied.
C26640A4-56AC-47B3-B34A-AAB3985D80B4.jpeg

Show me what u got!
My OEM plate fell off after going in for a cheapo oil change (yes, i know). Time for the shop to buy me a new skid plate. What should i get?
Did it fall out because the bolt holes were stripped/rusted? I have had to repair three of my six skid plate mounts with helicoils.

Did it fall out because the bolt holes were stripped/rusted? I have had to repair three of my six skid plate mounts with helicoils.
Same here. I drilled out mine and retapped them once with M6 bolts. Then those broke so I redrilled and retapped as M8X1.25 bolts - broke again. I finally welded some new M8x1.25 nuts to some bent steel flat stock and welded that to the top of the core support, and they've been good since!

FYI the oil can be changed with the ARB skids without removing them, including the filter (I sliced up an old 5-quart oil jug and use it to route spillage into a pan). I also added a Fumoto drain valve with makes draining the oil out of the engine super-easy, and it's high enough above the skidplate that it is protected.

Differential, transfer case, and transmission fluid changes do require moving the rear portion of the ARB skid (which comes off pretty easy).

I am in the same position. Bolts broke off in the frame and I've not had my engine skid on for a while. Been eyeing the ARB but I need a KDSS friendly option.
Like others have said, the ARB should do just fine. I don't wheel or rock crawl much so I don't need the weight of steel or the price. Sounds like you're in the same boat.

Right now I am running stock ones and I was thinking of getting the ARB ones because you get a lot of plate for your money so a lot of coverage. However, I wonder are they much better than the OEM? What's the difference in thickness I don't even know honestly but I am assuming it would be an upgrade, however is it sufficient for overland/ expedition use? Frankly If it can not take much of a beating as it is thinner then is it even worth putting up? Still looking into all of the options.

They are at least twice as thick as OEM and can take much more abuse IMO you'd only need a thicker plate if you are rock crawling.

Right now I am running stock ones and I was thinking of getting the ARB ones because you get a lot of plate for your money so a lot of coverage. However, I wonder are they much better than the OEM? What's the difference in thickness I don't even know honestly but I am assuming it would be an upgrade, however is it sufficient for overland/ expedition use? Frankly If it can not take much of a beating as it is thinner then is it even worth putting up? Still looking into all of them
Yes they are better than OEM . Yes they are thicker . Yes they are an upgrade . Yes there is beefier HD options out there .

Last edited:
Or you live on the east coast where most of the trails are very narrow and full of rocks so anything but the easiest trails all but require thick skid plates and a good set of sliders...

Or you live on the east coast where most of the trails are very narrow and full of rocks so anything but the easiest trails all but require thick skid plates and a good set of sliders...
Plenty of very tight, narrow trails, steep trails here in MO with lots of sharp rocks. My ARBs have bent but not broken, and that's with me coming down hard on a rock in Moab and dragging the GX across stuff on the skids around here.

However I think your wheeling falls into the rockcrawling/heavy offroad style - in which case, yes beefier skids are a good investment.
20221005_155945.jpg

Yeah once you get into the Appalachian mountains the rocks are something else. You're guaranteed to have a bunch of hard hits and drag belly all the way from front to back in places. I basically don't have any paint on the bottom of my skids at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom