Carry a lot of extra weight and looking for better daily driving ride quality.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, I know there are endless threads about shocks/springs but they're all really about lifts, wheeling and littered with dead links and NLA options. Mine is a bit different as I'm carrying a bunch of extra weight but I'm looking for a softer ride, better ride quality for daily driving. I've attached a pic you'll have to excuse my half banana ignorance I'm not sure what the previous owners slapped on there, hell it could be stock. I'm carrying an ARB front, NWTI rear, sliders and a baja roof rack which are all very heavy.....the ARB front is actually the lightest of all of them by far, although the baja rack might go soon as I just don't like the look and it has crap functionality because it's so tall. But that's that's a whole other thread, what I'm looking for is better ride quality, she feels super solid but she hits bumps really hard. I'm not expecting her to drive like my old 2020 GX but we can definitely improve I believe.

What cost effective setup would you guys suggest for someone carrying some extra weight but looking for better ride quality? Mind you I'm not doing any wheeling I gave up on that pretty much I made her too pretty for it, I'm talking daily driving ride quality.

IMG_8572.jpg

What cost effective setup would you guys suggest for someone carrying some extra weight but looking for better ride quality?
*Call* Dobinsons. 305-424-8353

If you're not having the low rider look (nose higher than tail) then the first thing I would try is upgrading to some decent quality shocks. Old Man Emu or Icon Vehicle Dynamics make some good shocks for stock height trucks that won't break the bank. I also recently helped a buddy put the Dobinsons IMS shocks on his rig and they rode really nice. If you wanted used, I just pulled off a set of Icon 2.0 series shocks that will work with no lift that I plan on selling.

After that I would consider replacing your suspension bushings (radius arms, Control arms, panhard-rods). It's a bunch of work but if yours are original they are probably hard and passing more shock than new ones would.

Also be sure your tire pressure is right, over inflated tires will make a harsh ride. Don't run around with max PSI in them. Should be around 40psi if I recall.

If you are leaning towards the rear then you probably need a set of heavy rated springs in the back. Dobinsons as mentioned or Old Man Emu both make those.

Thanks for the reply fellas, my apologies for not replying sooner my business has been completely kicking my ass. At what point do you say "hey the extra income isn't worth it"......sorry that's WAY off topic.

Anyway, back to looking for a softer ride.

@gummycarbs electronically controlled sounds expensive....who was messing with those?

What do you think of the pic @Pascoscout am I leaning too much? I just took the heavy ass baja rack off and I think it's worse than it was but not too crazy.....I wish I knew what springs/shocks on there right now instead of just assuming they are stock and swapping them out. Definitely going to change some of the bushings, been reading a lot about that thank you. I'm running 285/75/16 at well under 40psi....like 34psi actually.

Considering that the fender flares and bumpers are not stock what points on the truck should I be measuring to see how much I'm leaning?
IMG_8585.jpg

Springs are done. Your 1st pic shows maybe 1" between the rubber bump stop and the axle coil seat. Bit of a bump and you're on the bump stop. Probably the same on the other side and the rears are likely not much better.

Shock in the first picture looks stock/original.

There's at least one thread with pretty comprehensive coverage of various springs and shocks and other things to spend $ to $$$$.

cheers,
george.

Springs are done. Your 1st pic shows maybe 1" between the rubber bump stop and the axle coil seat. Bit of a bump and you're on the bump stop. Probably the same on the other side and the rears are likely not much better.

Shock in the first picture looks stock/original.

There's at least one thread with pretty comprehensive coverage of various springs and shocks and other things to spend $ to $$$$.

cheers,
george.

Thank you sincerely George!

So I'm looking for springs and carrying extra weight and not looking for a lift, everyone just goes with OME stock height right? Also looking for shocks obviously, need to research that.

As for rubber, Pasc suggested radius arms, Control arms, panhard-rods.....anything else that would be essential? Not looking to crazy with it just wanted to get her buttoned up a bit.....I know you can get real silly with the bushings if you want to.

OME use to be the bees knees. Their lower cost shocks are pretty stiff.

These days there's many options out there for little more money and better ride. As post #2 suggests, a call to dobinsons and I agree. Also as per post #7, wouldn't hurt to get your 80 weighed. Then you can provide some numbers to folk like dobinsons along with your desired height (stock height or a little lifted etc) and they can suggest some coils and shocks to go with them.

Yesh, rubber is likely old and needing a refresh. Certainly the control arm rubber (each end), panhard rubber (each end) needs looking at and definitely sway bar rubber. Sway bars do a fair bit of work even on smooth roads and the rubbers crack and compress and just plain age out.

Not offroading, then P rated tyres will give a better ride than LT, especially D or E load range etc. Around 35psi is a decent city/hwy pressure.

cheers,
george.

OME use to be the bees knees. Their lower cost shocks are pretty stiff.

These days there's many options out there for little more money and better ride. As post #2 suggests, a call to dobinsons and I agree. Also as per post #7, wouldn't hurt to get your 80 weighed. Then you can provide some numbers to folk like dobinsons along with your desired height (stock height or a little lifted etc) and they can suggest some coils and shocks to go with them.

Yesh, rubber is likely old and needing a refresh. Certainly the control arm rubber (each end), panhard rubber (each end) needs looking at and definitely sway bar rubber. Sway bars do a fair bit of work even on smooth roads and the rubbers crack and compress and just plain age out.

Not offroading, then P rated tyres will give a better ride than LT, especially D or E load range etc. Around 35psi is a decent city/hwy pressure.

cheers,
george.

Thanks George I appreciate it a lot, looks like I'll be giving dobinsons a call and start digging for part numbers on partsouq and amayama for some rubber......I swear the money I spend on this truck 🤦🏻‍♂️

Thanks for the reply fellas, my apologies for not replying sooner my business has been completely kicking my ass. At what point do you say "hey the extra income isn't worth it"......sorry that's WAY off topic.

Anyway, back to looking for a softer ride.

@gummycarbs electronically controlled sounds expensive....who was messing with those?

What do you think of the pic @Pascoscout am I leaning too much? I just took the heavy ass baja rack off and I think it's worse than it was but not too crazy.....I wish I knew what springs/shocks on there right now instead of just assuming they are stock and swapping them out. Definitely going to change some of the bushings, been reading a lot about that thank you. I'm running 285/75/16 at well under 40psi....like 34psi actually.

Considering that the fender flares and bumpers are not stock what points on the truck should I be measuring to see how much I'm leaning?

I usually measure from the center of the wheel hub to the lip of the fender to get an idea of difference front to rear. In my opinion your measurement should be slightly longer in the rear. This allows for a little more weight to be added before your truck levels out. I don't care for the ride when the front is higher than the rear. From the picture it looks to me like you are level or maybe just a bit leaned to the back.

I agree the springs and shocks look stock. You should probably go with some stock height springs if you aren't wanting to lift it. You're going to end up with a slight "lift" anyway because the newer springs. If you go heavy rated you may end up with even more "lift". I would only do heavies in the rear if it were me.

I run Icon springs in the front (3" lift) and like the ride, soft and flexible. I originally had the matching set in the rear when I just had the rear bumper. As I added more weight the Icons got too soft and did not hold the weight well. With the bumper, drawers (and gear inside) and my fridge I was leaning to the back over an inch. I recently swapped the rears for a set of Dobinsons 2.5 inch lift springs and now I am riding with about a 1" lean to the front which is perfect for me. The Dobinsons ride great but the 2.5 in lift springs ended up netting me almost 4 inches of lift even with the weight I have. It seems to be common with the Dobinsons that they net more lift than they are stated for. Not sure if that would apply to their stock height offerings but just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
Dobinson IMS or MMR shocks, pair with the right springs, rides like a Cadillac on pavement and great on dirt and rocks. And i am sure my rig is heavier than yours.

Thanks Marco I appreciate the shock suggestion, trying to decide between the OME and Dobinson stock height springs....

electronically controlled sounds expensive....who was messing with those?

I think this is the thread:

Alright so talked to Dobinsons and apparently they don't carry any stock height springs which will work with the extra weight, the lowest they have is 1.75".

So looks like perhaps I'm stuck with OME 861/862 in regards to springs which kinda sucks because I know they're stiff and I'm looking for daily driving ride......

What do you guys think?

Looks like you not carry much extra weight.
If you third row seats have been removed then your probably close to stock.
You need to get you rig Weighed

Last edited:
Did they ask you how much extra weight you were carrying.
The 80 can carry 7 people that’s a lot of weight.
There no lift springs need to be able to handle that.
YouTube 24/7 and look at what those boy carry that’s extra weight.
Believe me you truck is not carrying extra weight.

Most overweight rigs Have dual batteries a winch on the front double swing out in the back with extra fuel /water cans and a over sized spare tire
A ARB fridge, drawer systems full of recovery gear and extra parts and tools a roof rack with a roof top tent on it.
And on board air System just to name a few.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom