Blower motor / ac problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I’m having issues with my blower motor. I’ve been looking on here at potential fixes. It trips the CB with the ac on. Initially it was perfect, then it went to over the third highest setting would trip now it’s over the second setting, it’s a new blower motor. I checked the a pillar ground. It appears fine, no sign of corrosion. I understand there is a plug under the dash that has been known to have a bad connection but I don’t know where it is, the one photo I could find I couldn’t reference anything in the pic well enough to find it. Every time it trips, the wires around the blower motor aren’t hot but the CB gets hot. If it means anything my compressor is brand new and it doesn’t cycle, it just runs constant. Thanks in advance for any help

The cause is something is drawing far too many amps. While the compressor shouldn’t be an issue, it’s worth figuring out how many amps it’s pulling. I believe the rear blower is a part of this circuit, don’t be afraid to check that as well.

The cause is something is drawing far too many amps. While the compressor shouldn’t be an issue, it’s worth figuring out how many amps it’s pulling. I believe the rear blower is a part of this circuit, don’t be afraid to check that as well.
There is another thread discussing about this same issue with CB breaking... Resistor is also a suspect. I will try to replace parts from low cost and I have ordered a new resistor... This blower fan setup should be no where close to 30AM... heat could generate even at 15A to trip the CB... Just my enough understanding to be dangerous...

I couldn’t find a multi meter that would test up to 30 amps. You may have to test each part individually and add it all up
you would probably need some kind of attachment that clamps around a wire. The multimeter would measure mV which is then converted to Amps. I have a cheap one like the one linked below from Amazon. I haven't used it too much but it does seem to work. I think the trick is teasing out the suspect wire to get the clamp around it. If you go this route make sure you get one that measures DC amps--some just measure AC amps.

Amazon product ASIN B0015S9SWW

Have you checked you resistor? They get old and crusty and do strange things, like your Mom!
Dyno

I might have to try that, it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve had a bad resistor. Where is it?

its right here my friend :

1659728213279.png

1659728225715.png

1659728240135.png

I’ll have a look at the air box for it. Does anyone know what the resistance readings should be?
trouble shooting guide just say's to check for continuity. I think the normal failure is to have an open circuit on one or more settings.

1659739974528.png

I forgot to attach the wiring diagram on an earlier post, but I made that change.

Hi There,
@2mbb I am grateful for your kind help.

My elementary understanding of electronics is rusty at best... Following is my logic:
A few members replied to me that replacing 30A in-line fuse instead of the CB will hold the blower fan at the highest speed.
If that is the case, the issue can't be high current that is causing the CB to break. It has got to be the heat from high resistance in the path.

That is why I am going to replace the Blower Resistor (#2 in ED) first. With that being said, I am unsure and may be I need to replace all the wires.
Also, what about the Fusible Link? Don't they known to degrade overtime and I am going to replace it... even if CB issue is not solved, I consider as a PM.

I shell attempt this coming Sunday! **fingers crossed*

I don’t think a bad fuseable link would blow the circuit breaker.

The trouble shooting guide in the Toyota manual says if the circuit breaker is tripping, replace it. You could replace it with another breaker or a fuse. Fuses cannot be reset so if you go that route have some spares. Fuses and spares my have different reaction times and some fuses may not be suitable for this application.

I don’t think a bad fuseable link would blow the circuit breaker.

The trouble shooting guide in the Toyota manual says if the circuit breaker is tripping, replace it. You could replace it with another breaker or a fuse. Fuses cannot be reset so if you go that route have some spares. Fuses and spares my have different reaction times and some fuses may not be suitable for this application.
Hi 2mmb,
I have replaced it with two brand-new CB's.
Both tripped... Luckily the CB's are reset-able through the pin-hole... Definitely not the CB and can't be 30A current... It has got to be the heat generating in the line... and my guess is from the increased resistance.

Why do you say it can’t be 30amp current? If you are convinced the circuit breakers are good then the should not open until 30amps is flowing and it will get hot. I’m pretty sure the CB is really a thermal switch.

Why do you say it can’t be 30amp current? If you are convinced the circuit breakers are good then the should not open until 30amps is flowing and it will get hot. I’m pretty sure the CB is really a thermal switch.
... my reasoning is that there are members who jump the CB with 30A in-line fuse... So I thought that it must be the heat that is kept tripping the CB... In that case, wouldn't that be heat which is current-squared x resistance...

All that said, I don't have actual reading of the current across the CB... but it appears to be less than 30A. :confused:

I replaced the CB and the Blower both and it's still blowing (though it takes longer)

The wires at the blower and the CB get really hot.

The Fuse hack just makes my skin itch, So I"m going to replace the resistor pack, and see if that fixes it.
I'm beginning to suspect I need to cut the plugs off the wires and splice a bit further back... either oxidation in the plug, or the wires exposed inside it.
Mark has a Denso blower as well as the NOS blower resister (I got both). Blower works great, but did not fix the issue for me (did for my brother but he used the cheap 4 seasons on that doesn't blow as hard, that may be what fixed it.)

There is a video walk through of replacing the resistor

I replaced the CB and the Blower both and it's still blowing (though it takes longer)

The wires at the blower and the CB get really hot.

The Fuse hack just makes my skin itch, So I"m going to replace the resistor pack, and see if that fixes it.
I'm beginning to suspect I need to cut the plugs off the wires and splice a bit further back... either oxidation in the plug, or the wires exposed inside it.
Mark has a Denso blower as well as the NOS blower resister (I got both). Blower works great, but did not fix the issue for me (did for my brother but he used the cheap 4 seasons on that doesn't blow as hard, that may be what fixed it.)

There is a video walk through of replacing the resistor

what is the part number on that resistor? I did the inline fuse hack a few years ago. Mine would actually trip the CB after being on 3 or 4 for a bit. I have not had any problems and I do use my AC a lot here in Texas but I have noticed the wires at the blower do get hot. Did replacing that resistor pack help with that as well?? By the way, our trucks look like twin brothers.

what is the part number on that resistor? I did the inline fuse hack a few years ago. Mine would actually trip the CB after being on 3 or 4 for a bit. I have not had any problems and I do use my AC a lot here in Texas but I have noticed the wires at the blower do get hot. Did replacing that resistor pack help with that as well?? By the way, our trucks look like twin brothers.
It's Nos Toyota in a box marked denso from Mark...

It's Nos Toyota in a box marked denso from Mark...

this is the 1st ever and ONLY currently 60 61 62 HVAC Blower Resister ( anything ) Tech Video that exists globally it this time .....

= its WELL filmed , well edited and production was by the FSM 100% correct ......!

you should be proud :)

most excellent work here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom