Window Stuck Halfway Down, Can any Indy Shop Fix? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, the front passenger window became stuck halfway down near the beginning of a 8 hour road trip this past Friday (thankfully it was somewhat warm). Neither the driver master switch console nor the front passenger switch can move the window up or down anymore. The window had been running very slow up and down so I assume it's the motor/actuator itself rather than a switch issue?

I'm not mechanically inclined enough nor do I really have the time to fix myself, my general question is do y'all think any normal independent shop can fix this kind of issue? Would a Toyota dealership fix/service this?

I'm fairly new to the car (about 10k miles since I got it) and also fairly new to my location so I don't have a great grasp of the mechanic options yet.

Hello, the front passenger window became stuck halfway down near the beginning of a 8 hour road trip this past Friday (thankfully it was somewhat warm). Neither the driver master switch console nor the front passenger switch can move the window up or down anymore. The window had been running very slow up and down so I assume it's the motor/actuator itself rather than a switch issue?

I'm not mechanically inclined enough nor do I really have the time to fix myself, my general question is do y'all think any normal independent shop can fix this kind of issue? Would a Toyota dealership fix/service this?

I'm fairly new to the car (about 10k miles since I got it) and also fairly new to my location so I don't have a great grasp of the mechanic options yet.
Odds are it's a combination of the main control switch (they are known to fail and NO switches will work if the main doesn't)

Oh, you didn't accidentally push in the CHILD switch to stop windows from working did you?

It's on the front edge of the master switch. If depressed, nothing works.

It could also be a motor failure, but they'll run SLOW and creep for years before they actually fail.

The answer is YES, anyone can do it, but so can you. Don't be surprised at a $500 bill to do this and only if it's to swap a switch (many here use SwitchDoctor with OK results)
If it's a motor, you can double that.

If the window is showing no movement and no noise from a motor whatsoever, then it's likely something electrical or the switch thing per bilt.

If the motor is in operation and the window is just stuck, you likely have a dislodged glass or glass that's been pushed out of position. Plenty of threads on how to go at it yourself. It's not fun, will take some time on first go, but if I can do it, so can anyone else with the time/will/motivation.

I'm sure any mechanic can do this, but if they're not familiar with the 80, they'll charge you for that time and may well break some bits/bobs and not tell you about it. I have trust issues along this front for good reasons. Have fun!

Last edited:
It's definitely not the child lock. Can the master switch partially fail? The driver side front window still works fine going up and down. Why I think it may be the motor is because the window did run extremely slow leading up to the failure, and the entire time since I've owned the vehicle (since early summer).

It's definitely not the child lock. Can the master switch partially fail? The driver side front window still works fine going up and down. Why I think it may be the motor is because the window did run extremely slow leading up to the failure, and the entire time since I've owned the vehicle (since early summer).
Yes, it can be the master switch and still be only one window that does not work.

My master was bad and I tore apart the LR assembly, swapped switches, the whole 9 yards, only to figure out it was the master switch. That seems to be the first thing to go on these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom