Axle Knuckle Pushing Wheel Right? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welcome to the community J. Your 80's previous life was rough. You should be good to go for many more miles now.
Here's more of a break down of what was causing it to pull right.
The bearings, TRE's and knuckles were worn for a typical 265k mile 80 but wasn't causing the issue in question.
The right rear lower control arm was bent enough to make the right side 1/4" shorter both bushings were mush from extended neglect.
The call was made to replace the rear lower control arms with Dobinson adjustable ones. Excellent quality and a direct replacement.

View attachment 3123982

View attachment 3123983
Glad to have the privilege to know you now and have had your expertise on this truck! You are seriously awesome

Glad to have the privilege to know you now and have had your expertise on this truck! You are seriously awesome
That used to be my 80. Did you just buy it? The guy i sold it too said he would never sell it. Those are slee radius arms. It ran really well when i sold it. Its purely an adventure truck. Ill see if i can find a pic of it from when i had it. I bought it to flip it, but I had thought about keeping it.

Here is a pic of it from when I had it.
1664713348808.png

I fixed it up a bit while I had it. Replaced the rear main, put some bushings in the suspension, replaced the mirrors, fixed up the interior a little(it was really bad), got the lockers working, did a bunch to the engine(I was really happy with how the engine ran)I waterproofed all the wiring, put a second row seat in it off of Craigslist because it didn't have one. It has 5" ome competition springs. It drove down the road nice when I had it. The guy I bought it from used it really hard and had maaco paint it. The guy that bought it from me used it for wheeling and daily driving. I lost touch with him a year or 2 after I sold it.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of it from when I had it.
View attachment 3129527
I fixed it up a bit while I had it. Replaced the rear main, put some bushings in the suspension, replaced the mirrors, fixed up the interior a little(it was really bad), got the lockers working, did a bunch to the engine(I was really happy with how the engine ran)I waterproofed all the wiring, put a second row seat in it off of Craigslist because it didn't have one. It has 5" ome competition springs. It drove down the road nice when I had it. The guy I bought it from used it really hard and had maaco paint it. The guy that bought it from me used it for wheeling and daily driving. I lost touch with him a year or 2 after I sold it.
Did the locker lights flash red but still actually work? That's what they do now. Lights flash red when rear or front/rear are locked, but seem to be working properly. This is the same truck! Ole boy I bought it from told me only other owner besides him was his best friend that bought it brand new and then died in a motorcycle accident, so now he had had it since and used it as an adventure crawler! LOL I wondered how much he was BSing me. Good to hear your confidence of the engine. Sounds good and runs good. Just did a quick test trip to Dalhart yesterday and got 15.3 mpg and temps stayed good. PO dicked around with the wiring on some things so some of it is pretty hillbillied, but overall it's good.

Did the locker lights flash red but still actually work? That's what they do now. Lights flash red when rear or front/rear are locked, but seem to be working properly. This is the same truck! Ole boy I bought it from told me only other owner besides him was his best friend that bought it brand new and then died in a motorcycle accident, so now he had had it since and used it as an adventure crawler! LOL I wondered how much he was me. Good to hear your confidence of the engine. Sounds good and runs good. Just did a quick test trip to Dalhart yesterday and got 15.3 mpg and temps stayed good. PO dicked around with the wiring on some things so some of it is pretty hillbillied, but overall it's good.
Huh...weird he told you that. The guy I sold it too was probably in his 30s, last I heard from him was quite some time ago. I bought it from an acquaintance who wheeled it a lot and wanted to start fresh with a new Tacoma which he did although it cost him like 70k. But that's another story. The locker lights worked properly after I was done with them. Solid red when locked, so who knows what happened, probably not a hard fix. I sold it when I was doing a bunch of work to my fj40 and that pic I posted is in my build thread for my fj40. I think it was around 2016. I had it for like 6 months. I did a lot to it and bought it purely to fix and flip. It barely ran when I got it and I did some fairly unique stuff to get it to run how i wanted. I recognized it in your sig pic from the red teq stickers I had put on it, no other 80 has those. It was coming together well to the point I wanted to keep it and I almost did, but I really wanted a LS swapped 80 to tow my fj40. I never did get into the birfields. The rear control arms were not bent when I had it. If the guy after me didn't mess with the mechanicals too much and it still runs well it's worth keeping. If I kept it I would have continued fixing the interior, I would have cut off the trail gear sliders, welded in new rockers and a new quarter panel, paint it nice back to red, and put some nicer sliders on it. Anyway its your truck now and look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Huh...weird he told you that. The guy I sold it too was probably in his 30s, last I heard from him was quite some time ago. I bought it from an acquaintance who wheeled it a lot and wanted to start fresh with a new Tacoma which he did although it cost him like 70k. But that's another story. The locker lights worked properly after I was done with them. Solid red when locked, so who knows what happened, probably not a hard fix. I sold it when I was doing a bunch of work to my fj40 and that pic I posted is in my build thread for my fj40. I think it was around 2016. I had it for like 6 months. I did a lot to it and bought it purely to fix and flip. It barely ran when I got it and I did some fairly unique stuff to get it to run how i wanted. I recognized it in your sig pic from the red teq stickers I had put on it, no other 80 has those. It was coming together well to the point I wanted to keep it and I almost did, but I really wanted a LS swapped 80 to tow my fj40. I never did get into the birfields. The rear control arms were not bent when I had it. If the guy after me didn't mess with the mechanicals too much and it still runs well it's worth keeping. If I kept it I would have continued fixing the interior, I would have cut off the trail gear sliders, welded in new rockers and a new quarter panel, paint it nice back to red, and put some nicer sliders on it. Anyway its your truck now and look forward to seeing what you do with it.
Yeah, he was really trying to sell me on it, I think. Potato Launcher showed me why he was trying to sell it. I'll find the pic and post here. I had both knuckles rebuilt, and birfs were all good, thankfully. I am hoping to enjoy it for many years to come! To be frank, if I don't decide to swap the engine on this one after a while and basically keep it forever/as long as it will stay together, I am not even sure what other vehicle I would snag to use replace it. Maybe one of those new Ineos Grenadiers. But I plan on keeping it for the long haul!

This is why he was in such a hurry to get it sold. Knuckle collapsed on him on the trail because he never maintained the meat and potatoes of the suspension and steering. Of course, he never mentioned this, and I was too ignorant to tell or ask. He wheeled it VERY hard. Had the sway bars off full time so he would get more travel from suspension for crawling. Bushings in just about everything were shot. Driver side knuckle was pissing grease. All is well now, though. It is under much better ownership now!

123_1.JPEG

This is why he was in such a hurry to get it sold. Knuckle collapsed on him on the trail because he never maintained the meat and potatoes of the suspension and steering. Of course, he never mentioned this, and I was too ignorant to tell or ask. He wheeled it VERY hard. Had the sway bars off full time so he would get more travel from suspension for crawling. Bushings in just about everything were shot. Driver side knuckle was pissing grease. All is well now, though. It is under much better ownership now!

View attachment 3130487
Well thats a bummer. Yeah you can't just wheel stuff and not maintain it.

Well thats a bummer. Yeah you can't just wheel stuff and not maintain it.
Any particular info I should know about this rig? You said you had to do some interesting things on it to get it to run smoothly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom