CSF Radiator Woes (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For all the new people -- regardless of how poor you might feel -- only use OEM radiators (apparently the Koyo is good too).

I purchased a CSF radiator last winter and have been running it since. It seems to work for most types of driving, and I only see issues with the temp heading past 210 and up to 220, when I'm on steep/long hill climbs.

Based on my research, I don't think adding something like an aux fan to the rad will help much in this regard.

Curious if anyone had installed an aux fan, and seen lower coolant temps. I have 93 with a digital gauge, so I know the truck typically runs around 190. Only on hill climbs do I have this issue, and it usually doesn't happen till after 4k feet of the climb. The recent trip I just did in mammoth (CA), I had to pull over twice and pop the hood to cool the engine.

If anyone has any ideas that could push my temps down (outside of getting a Koyo or OEM rad) please send them my way.
I'm going to try different oil in he clutch and see if that helps at all.

Best,
Chris

My advise is get rid of your CSF and go with OEM or Koyo since they are still available for your 1fz-fe. Don't mess around with changing clutch fluid or adding aux fan when your radiator is not adequate in cooling your rig under load. I had the same issue and the only solution unfortunately is to replace the CSF with a Ron Davis. Problem solved and been 4 yrs with zero cooling issues.

My advise is get rid of your CSF and go with OEM or Koyo since they are still available for your 1fz-fe. Don't mess around with changing clutch fluid or adding aux fan when your radiator is not adequate in cooling your rig under load. I had the same issue and the only solution unfortunately is to replace the CSF with a Ron Davis. Problem solved and been 4 yrs with zero cooling issues.
I was waiting for someone to tell me this is my only option, thank you sir. Do you know where I could source the Ron D. Radiator from? Remember everyone, CSF = s***. well built, not well designed for what the truck requires.

TYC-1918 in your future?

Is the issue about price for,the replacement radiator? I went with a TYC-1918 several years back when doing coolant system overhaul (*that turned into new OEM short-block,...), but the radiator has been exactly what I wanted for $280 shipped, and looks very close to Toyota OEM apart from the pre-installed foam strips, which are required to keep airflow going through the radiator and not around it.

The Ron Davis is a one-and-done solution, but well over $1k. I considered it, then the disposable nature of radiators where I live (AZ Sonoran desert).

Koyorad 1918 $370 on Amazon bought 2 years ago and very happy with it.

2BC2CB0C-ACD4-48FC-8398-87B962D15EC8.png

I was waiting for someone to tell me this is my only option, thank you sir. Do you know where I could source the Ron D. Radiator from? Remember everyone, CSF = s***. well built, not well designed for what the truck requires.
Call Ron Davis. They are pricey, around $1,500 with a long lead time. If you can still get OEM , TYC or Koyo, I would go that route.

it usually doesn't happen till after 4k feet of the climb

What gear are you in? The torque converter won't lock up until 3rd, and an unlocked torque converter generates a ton of heat. I know people here advocate letting the engine rev out in 2nd to climb hills, and I do it too, but I wouldn't advise it without a temperature sensor like you have.

'93, w/ S/C, ~35k (or a bit more, can't remember anymore) fluid in the blue fan clutch, water pump overdrive pulley, 175°F T-stat, lives in the Phoenix area. We've had the Koyo in it, but replaced it with a TYC. The core on the TYC is thicker than the Koyo. Seems to me that MUD generally thinks the TYC is too cheap. We're happy how it has worked for us - where the 4-year old Koyo went to 216°F, the TYC (same fan clutch setup) was 20°F cooler. If I see 208°F, it's on a restart after I parked the truck during a long hill climb on the trail - i.e. heat soak after turning the engine off. And perhaps I should mention that this truck doesn't like the 2nd gear 5k rpm approach on hills.

I've had a CSF in my 80 for several years and I agree - it sucks.

I ran Dusy Ershim about 2 weeks ago. You have to climb nearly 4000ft over 15 miles to get up to Shaver Lake. The outside temp was around 70F, and I made it about halfway before I had to crank the heater up. Luckily there were enough breaks in the climb so I didn't have to pull over and cool down.

I do have an aux fan, which I turned on, but I can't say it did anything in this situation.

What gear are you in? The torque converter won't lock up until 3rd, and an unlocked torque converter generates a ton of heat. I know people here advocate letting the engine rev out in 2nd to climb hills, and I do it too, but I wouldn't advise it without a temperature sensor like you have.
I think second at like 2k-2.1k about

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom