Gaging interest: New OEM OBD1 engine harness (modified) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

Feeling the plight of our 93-94 brothers who can't buy a new harness when the EGR cooks theirs (NLA), and having both a '94 and '96 harness in the shop, I got to thinking.
After spending a few hours comparing the two harnesses side by side and looking through the schematics for both, I can say with some certainty that a harness conversion is not too far fetched.
It isn't a small amount of work, and quite a bit of repinning/splicing would need to be done, and the color codes wouldn't all necessarily match the FSM (a conversion chart would be supplied), BUT there is a lot that wouldn't have to be touched and the later harness has all but 7 of the connectors that the earlier one does. The big question, of course, comes down to cost. new harnesses aren't cheap and I would be adding a fair bit of of my own work on top of that to make the conversion.

What would you be willing to pay for a brand new harness made by Toyota and modified to fit the 93-94 models? How many 95-97 owners are investing in new OEM harnesses while they are still available? I've invested in some nicer electrical tools, and would be willing to invest more to make this every bit as reliable as one would expect from the factory. Just want to get a feel for the market before diving in too deep.

Feel free chime in with questions or concerns or thoughts.

Thanks,
Drew

I'm interested. The harness on my '94 is still working fine, but I have little doubt that it's on borrowed time and will fail me at some point.

No idea about a price that I'd be "willing to pay". I suppose that when my harness gets cooked, I'll be in the position of a beggar that can't be a chooser.

I paid Wiregap $600 for a spliced Toyota harness on my Celica. I provided both harnesses that got spliced. That is the pro-level price IMO. Not exactly apples to apples.

How many hours of work would it take to modify the newer model harness to fit the earlier models??

I paid Wiregap $600 for a spliced Toyota harness on my Celica. I provided both harnesses that got spliced. That is the pro-level price IMO. Not exactly apples to apples.

Yeah hopefully not, otherwise there would be no business case seeing as you'd be hard pressed to find a 95-97 harness for that much to begin with. Good feedback to have though

How many hours of work would it take to modify the newer model harness to fit the earlier models??

Hard to tell without doing it at least a couple times and working out the kinks. The first few will take a lot.

If and when I have harness problems I think I would be more likely to restore my existing harness than install a modified 95+harness. Most harnesses' only real wear is at the connectors. The terminals and wires themselves are in good shape, at least on mine.

IME the wire insulation on an old engine harness gets brittle with age/heat and develops cracks especially close to the connectors or at any bend. It often isn't apparent or doesn't show up until you move the wires from their static installed position.

Point is, sooner or later owners of the early models (and later models) will all need a new harness.

@60 toy ota : maybe build a couple harnesses (learning/testing phase), slap a price on them and see how fast they sell. IMHO they will sell, just a question of time and money.

Last edited:
The 95-97 80 series engine harness is around $700+ (Wits-End). A new engine harness for the 93-94 would at rate at least that much.

I got my 97 harness new from partsouq under $400 It’s $550 on Toyota parts deal. Lest say 8 hours labor at $60 a hour ($480) $100 in parts. $1000-$1400 sounds about where u would be at!!!

Beat me to it:

Smart shopper price for the later model harness with a discount, closer to $500.

Reasonable price for a modified harness is ??, depends on how long it takes, what the OP wants to get paid for his time, and what the market will bear.

Last edited:
I received a OBD1 engine harness from a fellow mudder. The plan is to fabricate new harnesses using this as a template.

Challenges are finding all connectors. Some are available and some are proving to be a challenge. I’m hearing the same old line that we are all hearing about all things….”due to Covid……”.

Wires coded correctly is not an issue it’s just the plastic connectors as pins are readily available.

So it’s on the back burner till the affects of Covid diminish 🤦‍♂️

I received a OBD1 engine harness from a fellow mudder. The plan is to fabricate new harnesses using this as a template.

Challenges are finding all connectors. Some are available and some are proving to be a challenge. I’m hearing the same old line that we are all hearing about all things….”due to Covid……”.

Wires coded correctly is not an issue it’s just the plastic connectors as pins are readily available.

So it’s on the back burner till the affects of Covid diminish 🤦‍♂️
Where are you sourcing Sumitomo wiring?

Where are you sourcing Sumitomo wiring?
Wire is wire, there are multiple suppliers who will color code wires to spec, if you order enough.

Ultimately I would like to source tinned wire, but this is not as easy in more than 2 color coded wires.

So far my harness is holding up. would I be interested in a new one yes, I plan to keep the truck tell I can't drive any more.
Do I think your going to get a bunch of mud members to jump on the band wagon at a unknown price no.
I think you would have to build a few to come up with a price, I'm sure they would sell.

All,

Feeling the plight of our 93-94 brothers who can't buy a new harness when the EGR cooks theirs (NLA), and having both a '94 and '96 harness in the shop, I got to thinking.
After spending a few hours comparing the two harnesses side by side and looking through the schematics for both, I can say with some certainty that a harness conversion is not too far fetched.
It isn't a small amount of work, and quite a bit of repinning/splicing would need to be done, and the color codes wouldn't all necessarily match the FSM (a conversion chart would be supplied), BUT there is a lot that wouldn't have to be touched and the later harness has all but 7 of the connectors that the earlier one does. The big question, of course, comes down to cost. new harnesses aren't cheap and I would be adding a fair bit of of my own work on top of that to make the conversion.

What would you be willing to pay for a brand new harness made by Toyota and modified to fit the 93-94 models? How many 95-97 owners are investing in new OEM harnesses while they are still available? I've invested in some nicer electrical tools, and would be willing to invest more to make this every bit as reliable as one would expect from the factory. Just want to get a feel for the market before diving in too deep.

Thanks,
Drew

Minimum $1500-2000 to make it worth your while. Minimum.

You'll get 75 people who are "interested" and "ready to pay" when you are ready to sell.

Then crickets and you spend the rest of your life trying to get your time and money back.

BTDT.

In any event, good luck. Hope the above scenario does not become yours.

:cheers:

$ 1000 to1500 hundred seem a bit high to modify the harness, but I’m just a dumb ass hick, so what do I know !

In any case thanks for trying to help out the Mud Community !!

The scenario that OGBeno paints is not far from the truth 😉

All,

Thanks,
Drew
Quick answer to your question re: newer (OBD2) harness, I bought one last year for my LX450 rebuild project. Expensive, but no regrets

$ 1000 to1500 hundred seem a bit high to modify the harness, but I’m just a dumb ass hick, so what do I know !

In any case thanks for trying to help out the Mud Community !!

The scenario that OGBeno paints is not far from the truth 😉
The whole harness will need to be skinned of oem tape and loom. Im unsure of the exact differences but crimping, cutting, de-pinning and re-pinning is a very substantial amount of time, plus recovering with loom and re-taping.

When you consider most obd I harnesses are perfectly serviceable, it doesn’t make alot of business sense. Most restorations that would care enough about something like this are using the arguably neater obd II trucks or engine swapping.

Anyone that needs to rebuild or repair their harness or build a brand new one, there’s enough info on mud to do this kind of work yourself. Buy the connectors, crimpers, and wire. 4rcustomswire can make you any kind of colored wire with stripe you want.

I just rehabbed mine with new OEM connectors, any suspect wiring got stripped out and replaced with sections of the same gauge and color-coded wires that I cannibalize from my spare harness bin (got me a spare harness at the pull n pay)

Here's your guide to all the connectors part numbers that you didn't know existed, but probably should've. So download it. Oh and yea I started to get after the bookmarks on this one too, that'll help you navigate around.

Attachments

• Wire Harness Repair Manual (RM1022E).pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 41
I just rehabbed mine with new OEM connectors, any suspect wiring got stripped out and replaced with sections of the same gauge and color-coded wires that I cannibalize from my spare harness bin (got me a spare harness at the pull n pay)

Here's your guide to all the connectors part numbers that you didn't know existed, but probably should've. So download it. Oh and yea I started to get after the bookmarks on this one too, that'll help you navigate around.
Do you by chance have the list of connectors you bought?

I pretty much have a list, it would be nice to have a comparison just to make sure.

Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom