Builds BurntToast's FJ62 Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Updates today are infrastructure and prep.

Spare 50A 220v breaker and an extra 6ga Romex lead to a 6-15R installation. Always good to have my pops in the shop teaching me a thing or two. This should be plenty for any welder purchases in my future.

DC1A07E2-8AED-4AE1-9247-033CE808804B.jpeg

69567A6C-05EC-4E4A-97C6-1DD75FF509B9.jpeg

Everything is ready for taillight rehab, led kit from Digi-tails, new covers and gaskets

7B604D8D-7E4E-4F23-BA61-3FE65DC9E4BB.jpeg

Lastly is prep for repaint of the first of many plastic and metal trim parts. Like I said in the beginning, chrome for me belongs on very very few vehicles made after 1970. This isn’t one of them.

I’ll be doing some experiments with Cerakote on plastic and metal substrates.

8E69CCF5-4F64-425C-ADB7-24491935BF14.jpeg

7024A93F-59F1-4C89-9C9C-2DB209429731.jpeg

Great point. I found similar rust on mine under these caps, mostly pass. side. I had wet carpet there intermittently and finally noticed the rust stain draining from this cap. It's a very hidden rust area on these trucks. Any idea from where and how it collects water??

Need to scrape it out vacuum it out and fill it full of CorrosionX or something similar.
If I had to guess, maybe bad drip rail sealant leaking down the A pillar, stuff seeping in from the fenders or bad rear hood seal or spray from the wheels getting in if the fender seals are removed 🤷‍♂️

Received some sandblasted hinges on eBay, so I hit them with self etching primer and some duplicolor bty1578. We shall see how much of a pain in the ass these will be to swap

1D7189D4-411C-4480-B416-A9D9EAFD804F.jpeg

F82906DC-1038-4A36-89E6-DD1835E31163.jpeg

591100E0-B874-4E50-9EFB-0FF1CF7BEAA4.jpeg

Worked some to install the digi-tails. I didn’t like approximation of the parallel placement of the adhesive brackets so I 3d printed a fixture to have a common datum.

B123BA19-1D6B-4B8A-9179-6833E91AE055.jpeg

9547A46F-2C72-4D36-8887-40E2F670C54E.jpeg

Also put some heat shrink the connectors, as they clip very poorly.

I would rather have some sort of bolted design for these, along with some more robust connectors.

72A1E6CA-8417-455A-9A95-CC99819FCD08.jpeg

0BDBA7E4-C572-4C94-B87B-8A05C6D7DD55.jpeg

New LEDs on the right vs old left

B3C6BEB0-CF8A-4389-B2A3-C560429D4CA1.jpeg

Prep for engine removal, draining the engine, transmission and tcase
19DCC8B2-11FF-4684-AA26-C4CEFF6EC890.jpeg

Some metal shavings on the transmission plug
57DE8CA9-0FAE-464E-AA5A-C8BA980C5BA8.jpeg

Any idea what the hell this rats nest will bring?
B2D4BD25-A733-4308-B2DB-3A238A10452A.jpeg

A good friend of mine had a donor FJ for a project he was working on and I picked up some parts he had laying around. Windshield, new dash pad, door cards that don’t suck, snorkel, etc.
CA7C3C9D-5F79-4622-B766-82B1FCDFC51E.jpeg

87F96F1E-FA97-49F6-82A9-FE9012CFCBF4.jpeg

Also cruiserparts 2/2 with the only place I could find this damn window
6C61BF92-AFB7-4EA0-ADF8-B515C271CF31.jpeg

That rat nest is your NSS and reverse light wiring. It actually looks quite original. Be careful with everything there and just clean the grime off it.
What are your engine/transmission plans?

That rat nest is your NSS and reverse light wiring. It actually looks quite original. Be careful with everything there and just clean the grime off it.
What are your engine/transmission plans?

Roger will do.

Ly6/lq4 or similar and a 6l80 (or whatever I find that’s reasonable). Maybe throw a mild truck cam into it before I stuff it into the FJ. Finding options that run locally is my biggest issue so far

Roger will do.

Ly6/lq4 or similar and a 6l80 (or whatever I find that’s reasonable). Maybe throw a mild truck cam into it before I stuff it into the FJ. Finding options that run locally is my biggest issue so far
Nice, we have a FJ62 6l80e build on deck here so look out for swap products for it in a few months

Today was removal of old sound deadening/jute/etc. 25lbs of dry ice, a gallon of isopropyl alcohol, and a few flat head screwdrivers. Wife was kind enough to help, she likes demo style projects

Beginning

B10C45EF-3226-450B-9030-117DD07CCC62.jpeg

During

5C02E753-551B-4B24-92AE-2B1214E83D7B.jpeg

Final product after a vacuum and simple green/drill brush. Not perfect but all the underlayment and anything loose is gone.

AFF1C2CE-87A8-4628-BB5D-FBEBD99B2B10.jpeg

8C7AC7FC-4308-4760-BE98-C8503FA7A6BA.jpeg

Next is picking what to put down. Noico? Dynamat? Seems like a sound deadener first then a foam/vinyl after.

Carpet has been shipped. Thanks @dnp !

Forgot to add, anyone use these? Flares, 60 Series Landcruiser Flares, Sahara Style Wheel Flares – By FRP - https://siegeoverland.com/collections/frp-flares/products/flares-60-series-landcruiser-flares-sahara-style-wheel-flares-by-frp

Always wanted the elusive flares

Last edited:
Today was removal of old sound deadening/jute/etc. 25lbs of dry ice, a gallon of isopropyl alcohol, and a few flat head screwdrivers. Wife was kind enough to help, she likes demo style projects
Wow. This is a job I am both excited and afraid to start. Yours looks immaculate!

Beginning

View attachment 3129105

During

View attachment 3129106

Final product after a vacuum and simple green/drill brush. Not perfect but all the underlayment and anything loose is gone.

View attachment 3129109
View attachment 3129110

Next is picking what to put down. Noico? Dynamat? Seems like a sound deadener first then a foam/vinyl after.

Carpet has been shipped. Thanks @dnp !

Forgot to add, anyone use these? Flares, 60 Series Landcruiser Flares, Sahara Style Wheel Flares – By FRP - https://siegeoverland.com/collections/frp-flares/products/flares-60-series-landcruiser-flares-sahara-style-wheel-flares-by-frp

Always wanted the elusive flares
Floor looks REALLY good and clean!

You're going to be blown away by how much difference your new carpet is going to make! To say it's transformational is a bit of an understatement.....especially if yours was like so many of ours whose carpet was dirty / tattered / faded!

@BurntToast : You did a spectacular job removing the old carpet and bitumen and you'll be pleased with your new carpet.

I bought my carpet in early 2021 from DNP and at the time he provided a tip sheet which recommended 80mil Noico as the best value. My OEM bitumen and floor was in great shape, so I left the bitumen intact and covered that with the 80mil followed by 157 mil Siless closed foam liner. You have to make sure this is cut back around the doors, seat mounts and other tight spots so the carpet lays smooth into those areas, but this extra padding has a nice feel and (along with new door rubber) made a HUGE difference. I only used Noico in the doors.

@BurntToast : You did a spectacular job removing the old carpet and bitumen and you'll be pleased with your new carpet.

I bought my carpet in early 2021 from DNP and at the time he provided a tip sheet which recommended 80mil Noico as the best value. My OEM bitumen and floor was in great shape, so I left the bitumen intact and covered that with the 80mil followed by 157 mil Siless closed foam liner. You have to make sure this is cut back around the doors, seat mounts and other tight spots so the carpet lays smooth into those areas, but this extra padding has a nice feel and (along with new door rubber) made a HUGE difference. I only used Noico in the doors.
Thanks!

Yup noico/Kilmat is the plan on floor and doors. Then something like SecondSkin closed cell foam/MLV over the floor pre carpet.

I am really looking forward to the final product, heard nothing but good reviews doing this replacement.

Now I just need to find suitable front seat replacements. My oem foam and covers are beyond toast

FYI...you can drill 1/2" to 3/4" diameter holes into the bottom of the expensive SOR seat foam to make it tolerable if you want to go the OEM-like route. Maybe better to just get different seats if you are looking for comfort.

FYI...you can drill 1/2" to 3/4" diameter holes into the bottom of the expensive SOR seat foam to make it tolerable if you want to go the OEM-like route. Maybe better to just get different seats if you are looking for comfort.
I have seen that option but like you said needs work to make them not super hard.

8A97A795-C43E-4A69-85C7-A22F0C0CDE1D.jpeg

Maybe recoverable. But I want something comfortable. Maybe BMW seats, Scheelman would be awesome but they cost more than I paid for this truck….

I have seen that option but like you said needs work to make them not super hard.

View attachment 3133652

Maybe recoverable. But I want something comfortable. Maybe BMW seats, Scheelman would be awesome but they cost more than I paid for this truck….
I’ve been looking into a set of these…

I’ve read good things about them but I haven’t checked out a set in person. Some pros are they’re suspension seats, adjustable and they can be customized to match the interior nicely. If anyone has experience with them maybe they can chime in. Scheelmann are reeeaallly nice though.

I’ve been looking into a set of these…

I’ve read good things about them but I haven’t checked out a set in person. Some pros are they’re suspension seats, adjustable and they can be customized to match the interior nicely. If anyone has experience with them maybe they can chime in. Scheelmann are reeeaallly nice though.
I like those too, I’m just struggling for something that is 75% of scheelmann in the used market maybe. They look so perfect in a truck, still torn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom