For Sale Specter off-road soft top — FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40GURU

Supporting Vendor
Threads
My client bought this soft top from Specter and it simply does not fit the car which has the factory bows.

They do not accept a return as it has passed their 30 days return policy.

Anyone can suggest what soft top year might this fit? Were any model came with shorter bows? The client is looking to sell if anyone could suggest what model it might fit. Thanks in advance for assistance. Cheers.

Car is 1976 with factory bows.

76CE6C48-3A83-4A7B-B2BF-6DB5EC555488.jpeg

355B4D37-5A6B-4F83-862F-AFE48461DBC0.jpeg

3D9F3176-3117-4083-9EB8-962CF9AC18D6.jpeg

8F303DC6-913A-4D4C-B3E9-E2A0B04E76A9.jpeg

Last edited:
Spector isn’t helping? Just curious if they know who ordered it and or what the measurements are they should be able to tell?

what year truck, and what year bows? also, are they OEM bows? From what you can see in the pics, I'm guessing aftermarket, as the rear bow looks flat on top, rather than curved. If aftermarket, confirm the height on them. Also, if aftermarket, or "old" style bows, they are wider at the top & a soft top built without any natural stretch (like real canvas), and built around late model bows, simply won't fit. It will look a lot like what you are dealing with there.

Last edited:
Spector isn’t helping? Just curious if they know who ordered it and or what the measurements are they should be able to tell?
No — he has been communicating with Specter for quite a while. They’ve pretty much said it’s for FJ40 and a product they’ve been selling for a long time. Additionally, the have been just using the 30 day return policy as the basis for not accepting the issue.

They stopped responding after my client tried to see whether they can assist with identifying whether the top could be for another model / year.

Last edited:
That's really concerning they would not stand behind a item that looks like it has some defective fitment issues.
I assume you have tried all the tricks of heating stretching ect.?
Correct.

what year truck, and what year bows? also, are they OEM bows? From what you can see in the pics, I'm guessing aftermarket, as the rear bow looks flat on top, rather than curved. If aftermarket, confirm the height on them. Also, if aftermarket, or "old" style bows, they are wider at the top & a soft top built without any natural stretch (like real canvas), and built around late model bows, simply won't fit. It will look a lot like what you are dealing with there.
1976. The bows are factory — OEM.

1976. The bows are factory — OEM.
Sorry, going to need pics, and hopefully even measurements to confirm. Unless your customer can guarantee that they are original to the truck & he's owned it/them the whole time, then there is always some question. For instance, why are they black? Pics of the main bow & rear bows, as well as a measurement of the height of the rear bow from top of truck lip to top of bow, in the center of the tailgate. Then a measurement of the spreader bars, or the distance from main bow to rear would also be helpful.

The same measurements of the soft-top would be helpful too.

Sorry, going to need pics, and hopefully even measurements to confirm. Unless your customer can guarantee that they are original to the truck & he's owned it/them the whole time, then there is always some question. For instance, why are they black? Pics of the main bow & rear bows, as well as a measurement of the height of the rear bow from top of truck lip to top of bow, in the center of the tailgate. Then a measurement of the spreader bars, or the distance from main bow to rear would also be helpful.

The same measurements of the soft-top would be helpful too.
He has owned this truck for more than 30 years after he bought it from his friend who acquired it brand new. All the bows are factory and he has painted them in black.

Front does look bunched up? Did you slide the correct loop through the channel? Pull it back off the channel and show how it’s installed! I doubt its the top or bows. Here is mine( ocd top, but you can see how tight it is to the channel.

3F0DE056-14C5-4B7A-95A6-29B568F0DAC9.jpeg

He has owned this truck for more than 30 years after he bought it from his friend who acquired it brand new. All the bows are factory and he has painted them in black.
Honestly, are you actually trying to solve the problem, or just looking to sell the top? How about just a couple pics of the main bow to confirm that it is for a late model truck? Specifically if it's profile matches the late model doors or if it is straight. We produced a soft top for a customer a while ago that wasn't aware that his bows were early/straight bows. Our top fit his truck almost exactly the same as your pics. That's why I'm asking.

Can he confirm that his bows are adjusted all the way in to make them as short as possible front to rear? I don't think he'll gain enough to make it work, but he might if his bows are as long as they can get right now. He could gain 3cm's or so which can have a big impact on fitment.

Honestly, are you actually trying to solve the problem, or just looking to sell the top? How about just a couple pics of the main bow to confirm that it is for a late model truck? Specifically if it's profile matches the late model doors or if it is straight. We produced a soft top for a customer a while ago that wasn't aware that his bows were early/straight bows. Our top fit his truck almost exactly the same as your pics. That's why I'm asking.

Can he confirm that his bows are adjusted all the way in to make them as short as possible front to rear? I don't think he'll gain enough to make it work, but he might if his bows are as long as they can get right now. He could gain 3cm's or so which can have a big impact on
Selling will be a bonus but honelsty he just wants a top to finish up his project, hence, my other wanted thread. If he can make this one works, even better. I have asked him to send measurements.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Selling will be a bonus but honelsty he just wants a top to finish up his project, hence, my other wanted thread. If he can make this one works, even better. I have asked him to send measurements.

Thanks for your input.
Height is 33 inches/840 mm from top of back tailgate.

Last edited:
Height is 33 inches/840 cm from top of back tailgate.
Thanks! We're within a cm (assuming 840 is mm, not cm's) on that measurement of our bows. they are a bit shorter, but nothing that would make this big of a difference.

What about side to side on the rear bow (outside edge to outside edge) about 3cm's below where the spreader bars connect it to the main bow? We've got 61inches/155cm's.

Then, can he measure the main bow, where the door brackets connect to it. Top of the over door brackets, outside edge to outside edge? Ours is roughly 61.5inches or 155cms. If those all match up relatively closely, we can measure the soft top. IF you can confirm that top is off spec, can he dispute the charge since Specter isn't working with him?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom