How to tell a 60 head vs 62 head? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't know the difference and there is conflicting info from the seller. Any other observations? Thanks guys.

Screenshot_20220923-195013.png

Screenshot_20220923-194949.png

Screenshot_20220923-194935.png

That's not a 3FE head.

This may help.

This may help.
Perfect! The intake ports.. I somehow forgot. Thank you.

Perfect! The intake ports.. I somehow forgot. Thank you.
Blow your head up dude?

Eventually I’ll take the head off this spare 2F I have and get rid of it. Not sure when I will find the time though.

Blow your head up dude?

Eventually I’ll take the head off this spare 2F I have and get rid of it. Not sure when I will find the time though.
Nah, just that flicker on the vacuum gauge. Being she's my daily, makes more sense to get a used head and drop it off at the machine shop than to pull the head and do the same. Start out with new valve guide seals, check warpage, etc.

Have it pressure checked before anything else.

Ordered Friday, delivered today. That doesn't happen in Moab. Anyway, it looks to be in good shape but I won't have time to do a straight edge across it until this evening. The oil galley has been done. Spark plugs even look good. But what should I expect a 35 year old block of cast iron look like? I don't see any sludge build up. A little carbon deposit in the exhaust ports and on the valve heads but nothing I wouldn't expect.
I got to find a automotive machine shop in Grand Junction. If any of you have a recommendation, please!
Have it pressure checked before anything else.
Thanks. This is where they put a vacuum on it to see how well the valves are fitting?
This is not going to be a high performance build. Just back to stock specs unless there is some special valve upgrade I should consider.

Ordered Friday, delivered today. That doesn't happen in Moab. Anyway, it looks to be in good shape but I won't have time to do a straight edge across it until this evening. The oil galley has been done. Spark plugs even look good. But what should I expect a 35 year old block of cast iron look like? I don't see any sludge build up. A little carbon deposit in the exhaust ports and on the valve heads but nothing I wouldn't expect.
I got to find a automotive machine shop in Grand Junction. If any of you have a recommendation, please!

Thanks. This is where they put a vacuum on it to see how well the valves are fitting?
This is not going to be a high performance build. Just back to stock specs unless there is some special valve upgrade I should consider.
We, the Land Cruiser driving public, want photos!

This is where they put a vacuum on it to see how well the valves are fitting?
I believe Matt is referring to pressure testing the coolant passages to make sure there aren't any cracks that render the head scrap.

I'd recommend searching the 40 and 60 sections for posts by FJ40Jim that contain "chevy valve". You can step up to slightly larger valves that allow the existing seats and guides to be machined to fresh without needing to replace them.

If you aren't scared to work with a die grinder / carbide burr and some mini sanding drums, you can improve flow behind the valves where the cast and machined portions of the bowl meet, and the seat insert meets the machined surface. This will even (and slightly improve) intake flow between cylinders as variation in the casting from cylinder to cylinder likely has left the head with poorly shaped areas behind a couple valves.

If you look in this thread, you'll find some of my experience with spiffying up a 3FE head a dozen or so years ago. There's a bit of valve info, though I think the particular valves I used are disco'd, and some port/bowl shape info starting at post 64.

It would go in a solvent tank and put pressure to the combustion chamber. I just had a head with a 7" long crack along the coolant passage that wasn't visible to the eye

As far as I know 61040 is the 60 2F head. I HAVE read some of Jim C’s posts on this a while back and he really goes into detail.

Watched a video and decided to try this. I filled the intake and exhaust ports with water to see how well the valves seat.
IMG_20221008_144330057.jpg

Notice intake valve leaking on #3?
IMG_20221008_144323934.jpg

And again exhaust on #5 and intake on #6.
Just a simple test to prove to myself that it needs a valve job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom