fj55 restauration - breaks - in UK (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi!

I am restring a FJ55 from 79/80 bought from Finland. I am sourcing parts now and I am at the breaks :)

I am trying to understand what wheel cylinders and drums I need. There are some on ebay australia and I also found some here: https://www.fjparts.com/wheel-cylinder-sets-c-23_416_61.html\

On the front one is 1 1/4(?) and on the back ones are 15/16(?). Know from where I get set to repair them or new ones?

Thank you!

IMG_20220924_183059.jpeg

Spector off road, Cool cruisers of texas, And several west coast parts suppliers can probably hook you up. I have never rebuilt cylinders, but many do. I believe the rebuild kits are still available. Try posting in the F55 section at the bottom of the forum pages, they will probably have some input for you.

Spector off road, Cool cruisers of texas, And several west coast parts suppliers can probably hook you up. I have never rebuilt cylinders, but many do. I believe the rebuild kits are still available. Try posting in the F55 section at the bottom of the forum pages, they will probably have some input for you.
Thank you! I though this was that section :)

lots of shared systems obviously, but some of the fj55 guys seem more active in that other area for what its worth. :beer:

Hi!

I am restring a FJ55 from 79/80 bought from Finland. I am sourcing parts now and I am at the breaks :)

I am trying to understand what wheel cylinders and drums I need. There are some on ebay australia and I also found some here: https://www.fjparts.com/wheel-cylinder-sets-c-23_416_61.html\

On the front one is 1 1/4(?) and on the back ones are 15/16(?). Know from where I get set to repair them or new ones?

Thank you!

View attachment 3122992
Years ago i rebuilt the drum brakes on my 12/74 FJ55. Found cylinder rebuild kits at my friendly local auto parts store. If i recall correctly, the 55 rear cylinders were larger than the 40 series cylinders. Also, front brakes on a 79/80 in the USA would be discs. If you are measuring the internal diameter of the cylinders you should be able to find the correct rebuild kits. The rear drums may be different 55 vs. 40 also, so measure those. Also, perhaps your drums can be "turned" as opposed to replacing...

Years ago i rebuilt the drum brakes on my 12/74 FJ55. Found cylinder rebuild kits at my friendly local auto parts store. If i recall correctly, the 55 rear cylinders were larger than the 40 series cylinders. Also, front brakes on a 79/80 in the USA would be discs. If you are measuring the internal diameter of the cylinders you should be able to find the correct rebuild kits. The rear drums may be different 55 vs. 40 also, so measure those. Also, perhaps your drums can be "turned" as opposed to replacing...
Thank you! Vey helpfull, will try measure and buy one kit and see how it goes. As per truning I think they are past that stage :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom