1978 FJ40 First Steps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I’m in SC and I recently acquired a project. I wrapped up a boat restoration and documented the process on thehulltruth.com and was blown away by the advice and resources that were offered by the community. I guess I’m pursuing that here for this project. I’ve followed along on Facebook pages and this seems like a solid community. So here it is,
I have a 1978 FJ40, my goal is to get it safely drivable and restore it in “tiers” I’d like to get access to the frame and make sure it’s safe and worth restoring. I’m in my 30s with a toddler and safety/longevity is priority. I’ve pulled the engine but I’ve set it to the side now while I focus on the frame. I’ll document as I go and look forward to advice and experience.

78423BFA-F4AD-496C-B58B-81C742D6C203.jpeg

F85F591C-109B-44D6-9782-ADA30FBB2558.jpeg

Whew, that's some project you're taking on, brother. You gonna pull the body to get at that frame? Seems like a little welding will be required here (and there... and there) Welcome to Mud! :flipoff2:

Looks like a fun project! Hope the frame is solid. As mentioned, looks like most original engine bay equipment is there. That’s a great start! Definitely will need a sandblast cabinet! You can do it keep after it. Great wealth of knowledge here. ‘78 is a great year! 🍀

I need those dollies

if the rest of the frame is looks like your engine bay then it's fine. Get it running and driving safely and reliably first and then worry about everything else later.

if the rest of the frame is looks like your engine bay then it's fine. Get it running and driving safely and reliably first and then worry about everything else later.
I believe you’re right, I didn’t get much time to work on it but I looked at the parts of the frame I could get to easily, everything looks like it’s just surface rust on the frame. I’ll need a new battery tray and whatnot but that seems minor.

52FC927E-9FD0-4D5C-879D-0B0CC2BA0E7B.jpeg

E705DA3D-06E0-4D50-B975-7289B816F8C1.jpeg

38BF6629-A603-4ECC-AE07-9025F42FE7D0.jpeg

looks better then my 71 that I daily drive!

What month? I have 1/78 and am rebuilding mine too, mine is not stock, it was modified just after the warranty ran out with a V8 in the early 80's, fiberglass body in the early 90's, I painted and went over it in 2000, and now a total rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom