Front windows rattle and off track at the top corner.....just added video to confirm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, my front windows are rattling when they are opened less than half way, more than half way open and no rattle. Drivers side is worse than passenger side but they both do it. Also when rolled up they don't sit properly, the top rear corner is off and air comes in, I can push it back into place by applying pressure when rolling it up. Going to get the door cards off and take a look, hoping maybe someone has dealt with this before and can provide some guidance.....hoping it's just a matter of tightening everything up in there

Thanks!

You need new rubber; it's called window channel run:
1664121458157.png

1664121506259.png

1664121565483.png

PartSouq lists it for $55, but they only have the right side currently. Shipping for something this light shouldn't be much. You might save $10.

You also probably need the insert in the lifting frame; it called front door glass channel filler:

1664121739178.png

1664121810850.png

You need new rubber; it's called window channel run:
View attachment 3123571

View attachment 3123575

View attachment 3123577

PartSouq lists it for $55, but they only have the right side currently. Shipping for something this light shouldn't be much. You might save $10.

You also probably need the insert in the lifting frame; it called front door glass channel filler:

View attachment 3123591

View attachment 3123595

Thank you, was hoping to avoid that haha

The rattling I could see that being the culprit but would that account for it being of track in the corner?

Pull the door card and check the regulator is adjusted properly. One of the screws allows for some adjustment which if loose may be the cause of your rattle and might also be the cause of your mis-alignment

Thank you, was hoping to avoid that haha

The rattling I could see that being the culprit but would that account for it being of track in the corner?
Yes, to both.

Thanks fellas, don't have slow windows and I figured the window being off track may lead to a different culprit than the runs. I'll open it up and tighten things down but looks like the consensus is that it is indeed the runs....

I love you guys and calling me a half banana mechanic would probably be generous but I just gotta confirm here....

I opened her up and made a video, you guys are saying the window runs are what is causing it to be loose like this? Just want to be sure before I throw more parts and time at it....

You could try cleaning and lubing the window runs before throwing a bunch of money at the problem. If the runs haven't been cleaned in the last 25 years they are probably filthy. I clean mine every year or so with Clorox wipes and then lube with 3M silicone paste. The windows aren't the fastest but they go up and down. Any silicone grease or dielectric grease would work. May not solve your problem but it doesn't cost that much to try.

You could try cleaning and lubing the window runs before throwing a bunch of money at the problem. If the runs haven't been cleaned in the last 25 years they are probably filthy. I clean mine every year or so with Clorox wipes and then lube with 3M silicone paste. The windows aren't the fastest but they go up and down. Any silicone grease or dielectric grease would work. May not solve your problem but it doesn't cost that much to try.

I'll try that thank you, but I don't have slow/stuck windows....my old truck did I know what that is like. They are just loose and off in the corners....

I opened her up and made a video, you guys are saying the window runs are what is causing it to be loose like this?

At first, I thought you didn't even have any window runs. I'm skeptical that your window is even seated in the glass channel (the thing that connects the glass to the regulator arm).

Pull your door card and plastic liner off and inspect. It's maybe a half hour job.

At first, I thought you didn't even have any window runs. I'm skeptical that your window is even seated in the glass channel (the thing that connects the glass to the regulator arm).

Pull your door card and plastic liner off and inspect. It's maybe a half hour job.

Hi Gummy, yea I did when I took the vid. I definitely have runs in there and she's on there as normal as far as I can tell.

You're saying from the video it looks like I don't have runs? As in they are that worn out?

Hi Gummy, yea I did when I took the vid. I definitely have runs in there and she's on there as normal as far as I can tell.

You're saying from the video it looks like I don't have runs? As in they are that worn out?
No, I'm saying that the clunking was so bad that I didn't think you had them until I saw the rubber strips on either side.

Your window isn't attached properly. Either it's come out of the glass channel or, as others have said, the regulator assembly isn't screwed down. You shouldn't be able to see the edge of your glass like you can in the video.

Since this appears to be a front window, maybe your window has slid forward in the channel enough that the back edge is barely contained within the channel run.

This gets confusing because there are two channels being talked about: the window run channel that goes up the sides and the glass channel that supports the glass from the bottom.

This is the glass channel (or channel sub-assembly), and it has a rubber insert that grips the window glass:

6990160010.jpg

This is the door glass run (or door glass channel run, or window channel run), it's the seal inserted into the perimeter:
6814160010-0.jpg

The window glass needs to be positioned into the channel at the bottom according to the FSM:
Toyota-94LCFSM-FrontWindowGlassPosition.png

No, I'm saying that the clunking was so bad that I didn't think you had them until I saw the rubber strips on either side.

Your window isn't attached properly. Either it's come out of the glass channel or, as others have said, the regulator assembly isn't screwed down. You shouldn't be able to see the edge of your glass like you can in the video.

Since this appears to be a front window, maybe your window has slid forward in the channel enough that the back edge is barely contained within the channel run.

This gets confusing because there are two channels being talked about: the window run channel that goes up the sides and the glass channel that supports the glass from the bottom.

This is the glass channel (or channel sub-assembly), and it has a rubber insert that grips the window glass:

6990160010.jpg

This is the door glass run (or door glass channel run, or window channel run), it's the seal inserted into the perimeter:
6814160010-0.jpg

The window glass needs to be positioned into the channel at the bottom according to the FSM:
View attachment 3125709

Thanks gummy, yea I'm really not thinking this issue is caused by the window runs. I had her opened up a couple nights ago, I guess I should do that again and take a closer look.

So pretty much measure it out to see if it has slid over too much?

Thanks gummy, yea I'm really not thinking this issue is caused by the window runs. I had her opened up a couple nights ago, I guess I should do that again and take a closer look.

So pretty much measure it out to see if it has slid over too much?
The rattle is 100% caused by the rubber being old and hard. If you pull that rubber out it will maintain its form. New window rubber will not. You absolutely need new rubber, the regulators might just need adjustment.

@Francis K looking at it again with fewer beers in me, it really looks like the outer lip of the window channel run is completely missing.

The area circled in yellow looks like bare metal. The area circled in red is what both sides should look like.

I maintain that the edge of the glass should *not* be visible, as traced by the green line.

LCWindowChannelRun.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom