CDL low range not turning off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As posted in the A-Trac thread, I finally took the old girl off road proper this weekend and played with a few settings and techniques, even managed a winching or two!

But one thing I noticed while trying out the various low range and high range options is thag my CDL is working fine in high range (ie I can turn it off and on) but in low range its always on. I think I read in the other thread that CDL and A-Trac is counter-productive since I want the system to manage all 4 tyres.

Any tips on what I can try to get the CDL turning off in Low range? There is lots of talk about reversing to unwind the CDL, how far are we talking? Would that be the problem even if I'm not seeing it in High range?

PS 2004 Landcruiser which I've heard is different to the pre-2000 100 series.

So it engages itself when you shift to low range, or it won’t disengage when in low? Are you trying to unlock when stopped? It should work either way, but if you are rolling in a straight line you might have better success.

BTW, ATRAC doesn’t know or care if you have the center diff locked. CDL provides you 50% power to the front and back. With it locked one spinning tire won’t take all the power. I spend most of my time offroad with it locked.

The CDL is not cosmic. It is an electric solenoid that moves a “collar”, locking two shafts together in the transfer case.

I just noticed you’re from down under. I wonder if your truck has a different configuration than ours. If the CDL comes on by itself that is like 98-99s here. There is an easy mod that you can do to get rid of that feature.

It’s the pin-7 mod you need. I believe Australia requires this mod for all years (with Full Time 4wd). The location of the connector will be different as well since its RHD vs LHD.

It’s the pin-7 mod you need. I believe Australia requires this mod for all years (with Full Time 4wd). The location of the connector will be different as well since its RHD vs LHD.
Sounds like another weekend job! But at least I know I'm not too crazy and it's definitely a thing.
Now to work out where the connector actually lives. The ECU is definitely on my passenger's side, so hopefully it's behind that.

So it engages itself when you shift to low range, or it won’t disengage when in low? Are you trying to unlock when stopped? It should work either way, but if you are rolling in a straight line you might have better success.

BTW, ATRAC doesn’t know or care if you have the center diff locked. CDL provides you 50% power to the front and back. With it locked one spinning tire won’t take all the power. I spend most of my time offroad with it locked.

The CDL is not cosmic. It is an electric solenoid that moves a “collar”, locking two shafts together in the transfer case.
And yes as soon as I pull the High Low lever the CDL light comes on.

I'm liking where this conversation is heading that the AU versions have it full time for low range, and that I can do an relatively easy fix to get the selection back. You are probably right that I'm stressing over nothing because when I'm in Low the probablilty is near 100% that I'm off road anyway. The fix will probably end up on the low priority list until I have a quiet weekend, but I at least know what I need to do, and also that my truck isn't broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom