Maricopa County Emission Testing (Required Equipment for pre-OBD2) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good question - are you still running a cat & vapor canister? If so I would guess you'd probably pass. I'm going to have a similar question/test/answer when I go to smog my 83 pickup with a 99 3RZ swap. My guess is it will pass with no issue, but I'm planning for most (if not all) of the 1999 emissions components.
Yes on the Cat and Vapor canister

Good question - are you still running a cat & vapor canister? If so I would guess you'd probably pass. I'm going to have a similar question/test/answer when I go to smog my 83 pickup with a 99 3RZ swap. My guess is it will pass with no issue, but I'm planning for most (if not all) of the 1999 emissions components.
My 87 4runner with a 3rz passed every time without issue, they never said anything about it not being a 22re. Obviously not toyota guys....

My 87 4runner with a 3rz passed every time without issue, they never said anything about it not being a 22re. Obviously not toyota guys....
How much of the 3rz emissions do you have installed? Details would be really helpful as I haven't finished the install. I have cat already, but was planning to delete EGR and maybe some of the evap stuff if it would pass without.

@sjpitts My time has come for the Cruiser to be registered in Maricopa County. I ended up chickening out and registering as a classic car. :) Even though I had heard from others that they didn't think they would visually inspect the engine bay, I just didn't want to deal with trying to add back the PAIR system.

I can say that the website information for classic car registration for Maricopa County is a bit of mess. So I called the MVD office directly to get the scoop. Guy straight up told me that all I needed was proof that the vehicle was insured under a classic car policy along with an Az driver's license and they would waive emissions. I can say that we successfully got back from the MVD moments ago and that's exactly what happened. Total cost was $71 for 5 years.

As far as insurance requirements go, when I swapped it over to classic car they said they might get in touch with me to get pictures of the Cruiser in the garage. That was weeks ago and they still haven't.

For those that may be a little irked thinking I'm skirting the system, for our situation right now, insuring the Cruiser as a Classic Car moving forward is pretty appropriate. I work remote and don't drive it much anymore. Our primary vehicle is the 200. Over the last 2 years, I've only driven the Cruiser 3k miles. And 1k of that was driving from Oregon to Arizona.

Hope that helps make things more clear for folks on insuring and registering a classic car in Maricopa County.

Can't all this nonsense be avoided by simply registering it in a county that doesn't deal with testing? That seems much easier and simpler.

Can't all this nonsense be avoided by simply registering it in a county that doesn't deal with testing? That seems much easier and simpler.
Some people prefer to obey the law - however stupid it may be.

Quote/Posted by User? :rimshot:
I'm in! :cheers:

Last edited:
@sjpitts My time has come for the Cruiser to be registered in Maricopa County. I ended up chickening out and registering as a classic car. :) Even though I had heard from others that they didn't think they would visually inspect the engine bay, I just didn't want to deal with trying to add back the PAIR system.

I can say that the website information for classic car registration for Maricopa County is a bit of mess. So I called the MVD office directly to get the scoop. Guy straight up told me that all I needed was proof that the vehicle was insured under a classic car policy along with an Az driver's license and they would waive emissions. I can say that we successfully got back from the MVD moments ago and that's exactly what happened. Total cost was $71 for 5 years.

As far as insurance requirements go, when I swapped it over to classic car they said they might get in touch with me to get pictures of the Cruiser in the garage. That was weeks ago and they still haven't.

For those that may be a little irked thinking I'm skirting the system, for our situation right now, insuring the Cruiser as a Classic Car moving forward is pretty appropriate. I work remote and don't drive it much anymore. Our primary vehicle is the 200. Over the last 2 years, I've only driven the Cruiser 3k miles. And 1k of that was driving from Oregon to Arizona.

Hope that helps make things more clear for folks on insuring and registering a classic car in Maricopa County.

What insurance do you have? I just called mine (USAA) and they will not cover it as a classic car since I plan on taking it off road.

Sean

What insurance do you have? I just called mine (USAA) and they will not cover it as a classic car since I plan on taking it off road.

Sean
I'm currently on Safeco. They didn't even ask me what I planned on doing with it. Just wanted to know what I valued it at, how many miles I planned on driving each year and to confirm it was garaged.

Sean
I have Farmers, with an agent that wheels a big asset jeep hard!

Sean

Are you sure they understood? Your 60 is a regular motor vehicle, and it is registered to travel on regular roads. There should be no difference between your 60 and every other jeep/SUV/truck out there. It sounds like maybe the agent was confused and thought you were trying to register something like a dune buggy or side by side that is not a normal vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom