Looking for battery recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Costco, replace ever 2 years for free. Ill never buy a battery again lol.

You sir, are why Costco battery warranties are no longer 42 months. Unless you're joking then I take it back. :flipoff2:

I’ve been using a group 27 X2 Power battery with good results for the starter battery. The last one lasted about 5 years.

I hear there are new lithium iron phosphate batteries that are capable of starting and can draw 90% of total capacity without damage. Good for multiple days of running a refrigerator or lights. They deal with heat much better than Lithium Ion batteries and don’t have thermal run away issues.

I currently using a none starting LiFePO4 battery for the house battery and really like it’s capacity. They are more expensive than a gel lead acid battery, but are more versatile.

While you’re in there, consider adding a
Land Cruiser Products additional hold down to add strength and solid hold for your battery. I use the LCP battery bracket with the stock bracket.

View attachment 3116066

View attachment 3116067

View attachment 3116068
Another thumbs up for the X2. I have been running them for the past few years in all my vehicles. I really like them. They have zero issues, on the real cold (-20) mornings in MT starting up.

I’ve been using a group 27 X2 Power battery with good results for the starter battery. The last one lasted about 5 years.

I hear there are new lithium iron phosphate batteries that are capable of starting and can draw 90% of total capacity without damage. Good for multiple days of running a refrigerator or lights. They deal with heat much better than Lithium Ion batteries and don’t have thermal run away issues.

I currently using a none starting LiFePO4 battery for the house battery and really like it’s capacity. They are more expensive than a gel lead acid battery, but are more versatile.

While you’re in there, consider adding a
Land Cruiser Products additional hold down to add strength and solid hold for your battery. I use the LCP battery bracket with the stock bracket.

View attachment 3116066

View attachment 3116067

View attachment 3116068
Those multi-port battery connectors look pretty handy for a clean wiring setup. Where'd you get 'em?

As other posters have said, no battery will work well in the low use conditions you describe. I drive my 80 about every 2 weeks, and I keep it on this trickle charger whenever it's parked:
Amazon product ASIN B07W3QSMF9I'm expecting to get the full 5 years out of my XPower 27F dual purpose battery from Batteries Plus. It cost $379, but it's a beast and has never let me down on many solo desert trips where I am running my fridge.

I can. Will it damage the battery? I’m open to getting a battery maintainer. My neighbor hasn’t run a maintener longer than 7 days. So not sure if it will be detrimental to the battery health.
No it won’t. That’s exactly what they are intended for. You can disconnect the battery like said above but then it will reset everything when you go to start it up. I have run a maintainer on my 80 for weeks at a time when I couldn’t drive it.

No it won’t. That’s exactly what they are intended for. You can disconnect the battery like said above but then it will reset everything when you go to start it up. I have run a maintainer on my 80 for weeks at a time when I couldn’t drive it.
Thank you for this info. I’ll just get a costco 27F battery and a maintainer.

I'm a big fan of Deka/Penn Mfg. batteries. Batteries Plus carries them under the Duracell brand, and regularly has sales.

AGM has been discussed on here before and supposedly the slight lack of voltage from our charging systems means you actually lose a significant percentage of total capacity. If you want every amp hour, you better read up on that.

Personally, I'm running a wet cell primary and an AGM aux battery and it's been fine, but I don't push any limits.

For extended absences, put some kind of trickle charger on. Wired, if you're indoors, or throw one of those small solar panels on the dashboard if you're parked outside. Unless there's something wrong with your wiring, that should be enough to keep your batteries charged.

On the subject of chargers, the Harbor Freight high-frequency one has really impressed me.

Those multi-port battery connectors look pretty handy for a clean wiring setup. Where'd you get 'em?
Slee Offroad has them. We’ll made with tons of connection points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom