Builds Do I have your attention.... I call it VERA. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Speaking of flying by the seat of my pants…. Needs to think about where the gas filler is it going to be. Plan on making a custom tank about the same location as the 80 series was, however can be 7 inch longer now as well as taller under the bed. The filler is going to be so high it really could be on either side.

Thoughts?

I would rather not put the big bump in the back of the bed for the filler neck if possible; however not willing to give up on too much capacity.

Speaking of flying by the seat of my pants…. Needs to think about where the gas filler is it going to be. Plan on making a custom tank about the same location as the 80 series was, however can be 7 inch longer now as well as taller under the bed. The filler is going to be so high it really could be on either side.

Thoughts?

I would rather not put the big bump in the back of the bed for the filler neck if possible; however not willing to give up on too much capacity.
Why not do it like the 57 Chevy? Behind the left taillight.

I'd use the stock location in the cab corner and run a pipe down inside the cab, then out the rear wall into the tank.

I'd use the stock location in the cab corner and run a pipe down inside the cab, then out the rear wall into the tank.
This is what I'm doing on mine

That is why we ask questions here.... great ideas. I need the line to the tank to be as high as possible to get a larger tank.... the bottom of the bed is about 10" higher than the bottom of the cab.... I wonder if I could turn immediately out the back of the cab with a flexible line and into the tank.3

UPDATE.. looks like I could use original location, go down inside the cab and then turn about where the reiforcement section is and that is that would put me out right about the bottom of the bed. Will try to get a picture.

Last edited:
Left foot, right foot, just keep going…. Cut the flares a little wider than I want for test fit, will probably cut them back another inch. From the heavens above, Chef keeps helping many projects along…. Those flares came off of his Fj40. @Sherpa @tornadoalleycruiser @orangefj45

9E6B7B8B-20C4-450C-9D42-536E82E21FD0.jpeg

42320722-D1CB-4D21-9D0B-42F8E82BC74A.jpeg

9B253126-B954-4C0F-A388-2AA1C480D6CA.jpeg

D02A5C7A-6ABA-4DFF-8522-95A2C055423D.jpeg

ED2F069D-916B-45A6-8D12-5ADE91BA4840.jpeg

5330CB72-69E3-41ED-8C7E-19D75DE871D3.jpeg

Last edited:
So glad his / now my FJ40 has the ability to be recycled..

That is why we ask questions here.... great ideas. I need the line to the tank to be as high as possible to get a larger tank.... the bottom of the bed is about 10" higher than the bottom of the cab.... I wonder if I could turn immediately out the back of the cab with a flexible line and into the tank.3

UPDATE.. looks like I could use original location, go down inside the cab and then turn about where the reiforcement section is and that is that would put me out right about the bottom of the bed. Will try to get a picture.

Looks like it’s about 6 inches difference in height. So I would want the top of the pipe exiting the cab to be where my screwdriver is

8687AD99-AA40-4C67-824D-A05BC10C12CF.jpeg

EDF0CB91-2021-457B-A705-C802E6ED8C18.jpeg

This is what I'm doing on mine
@Ragnaroek

Ok, I need your help with how to make this.... I am thinking that I want a neck to go down from the OEM location, then another neck that turns 90 degrees out the back of the cab. I assume that should be made from some sort of metal... copper or brass or the like with a flange to mount to the cab -- also need vent pipe as well.

Then have a flex line connecting the stock pipe to this section.

@cjmoon -- didn't you have a beading tool for larger pipe?

pipes... source....

Captursse.JPG

So… trying to find widths at tread for 37” tires. Not something they list. The ones I have found is normally about 10 1/2 inches wide. Anyone know of a website that might have this information? @Flatlanderfj40

Also figured out I need a set of 17” rims as there are a lot more 37 inch tire options.

The cardboard strapped to the tire represents if it is truly 12 1/2 inches at the tread.

C5A4409A-56C3-4081-8756-1FE5AE6C7B36.jpeg

BEF32AE9-0B93-45FB-975B-4B8CA037ABA9.jpeg

A stock 80 wheel is zero offset and 41/2" back space on a 16×8" wheel and I see that's what your test wheel is.
Most 37 x12.50 x 16 tires have a tread width 10.50" to 11" and on the stock wheels they would rub on the frame at full stuff.
So whell I was looking for 17" I wanted a 31/2 to 33/4" back space wheel so the tires would clear the frame..

With so many variables it would be nice to have your Wheel and Tire combo before finalizing everything.

I know you had a 80 before so you may know all this if so disregard.

It also allows you to run a Curry Rock jock rear sway bar up out of Harm's
Way.

By the way it's looking good, nice work.
Another great build!

Last edited:
A stock 80 wheel is zero offset and 41/2" back space on a 16×8" wheel and I see that's what your test wheel is.
Most 37 x12.50 x 16 tires have a tread width 10.50" to 11" and on the stock wheels they would rub on the frame at full stuff.
So whell I was looking for 17" I wanted a 31/2 to 33/4" back space wheel so the tires would clear the frame..

With so many variables it would be nice to have your Wheel and Tire combo before finalizing everything.

I know you had a 80 before so you may know all this if so disregard.

It also allows you to run a Curry Rock jock rear sway bar up out of Harm's
Way.

By the way it's looking good, nice work.
Another great build!

Thanks for the compliment...

The nice thing about this bed is that the wheel wells are a little over an inch inside of the frame, so where our 80's typically rub is on the tub above the frame, and that is now not an issue, so I think I can keep with the same wheel backspacing. Of course not a common backspacing, so this may be fun search.

11 inch tread looks like a good plan; however, you raise a good point that I need to make sure my axle is centered with the current panhard -- likely not. I will order a DIY kit from Slee for front and rear, as I am not sure what lift I will be having on this -- depends on the final stance.

@Ragnaroek

Ok, I need your help with how to make this.... I am thinking that I want a neck to go down from the OEM location, then another neck that turns 90 degrees out the back of the cab. I assume that should be made from some sort of metal... copper or brass or the like with a flange to mount to the cab -- also need vent pipe as well.

Then have a flex line connecting the stock pipe to this section.

@cjmoon -- didn't you have a beading tool for larger pipe?

pipes... source....

View attachment 3121290
My current plan is to use mild steel pipe, route it as you say as my primary tank is just behind and at the same height as the rear of the cab. I will figure out the routing, weld it all myself, then have the final product cad plated like the original lexus filling pipe was on my my secondary tank. Flex rubber lines will connect the stock filler to the new pipe and then from there to the tank.

That's just my current plan and thinking. It might change, but only if I can find a length of fuel rated rubber hose with 2 90° bends in it.

Depending on the width of the rim you choose plan on the 37x12.50 being pretty close to 12.5” wide. At least Goodyear list the MTR as such.

BTW, version 3 of the MTR will be released in fall 2023 I’m being told.

After kind of flares off Sandblast at the back of them again to get in all the nooks and crannies and as all these fenders were used did a lot of straightening. Make templates from the good ones and then beat them all into submission. In case anyone ever does this, to get the length of them all the same with the curved plane used my templates with a scribing point to get the exact dimensions

1148E7F0-D5A5-4450-A7BB-3A0463000FE9.jpeg

C829D761-33C4-4131-ABBA-D65C0A2E04F3.jpeg

8C7B3300-BF36-4427-AA78-D4D09069392C.jpeg

91181354-FC16-465E-97E1-C5CFF13DC2D9.jpeg

As Julia Child would say … And wallahhhhh….we have the chicken

5E38419E-DF11-4060-A735-7C56710ADB03.jpeg

F3FBBE56-B1A9-433B-AB6A-8AF1547BE594.jpeg

0068978B-886D-4A57-9721-EAA05A8BD058.jpeg

Tried to order stuff from CruiserParts for the first time.... this is what I found in my email almost two weeks later....

1664823249199.png

Tried to order stuff from CruiserParts for the first time.... this is what I found in my email almost two weeks later....

View attachment 3130753
I'd say ship the parts back to them on their dime and they can keep them.

It's not your fault they can't get an invoice right if that was the advertised or agreed upon price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom