Front axle shaft install support piece fell out of place, now loose inside housing. How to approach this problem? With photo. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

baldilocks

Battle Ground, WA
GOLD Star
Threads
While doing a simple oil seal replacement on the front right I discovered this:
AEF18FC0-E0D2-4584-BA66-9EDA8A6FE870.jpeg
I am able to put it back into it’s proper place but fit is loose which is no good.

My initial inclination was toward mangling it enough to remove it through the end of the housing but I think that, without it, axle shaft installation would wreak havoc on the integrity of the oil seal. How important is this part? Has anyone reseated it with success?

View attachment 3121072 I am able to put it back into it’s proper place but fit is loose which is no good.

My initial inclination was toward mangling it enough to remove it through the end of the housing but I think that, without it, axle shaft installation would wreak havoc on the integrity of the oil seal. How important is this part? Has anyone reseated it with success?
In my opinion, I would realign it and tack weld it back into the housing. I like it in there because it allows the seals to not take the brunt of the installation rubbing and scraping during installation and if the wheel bearings happen to come loose, it helps keep the axle from completely eating the seals.

If that’s on the long side I’d make every attempt to salvage it. If it’s on the short side I would make ever attempt to salvage it.

It aids with installing the axle shaft and helps protect the seal from getting damaged while installing the inner shaft and restricts the gear lube from overwhelming the seal.

I made a slide hammer thing and have driven a few back in place. Your’s sounds like a couple of tacks would take care of it.

What I ended up doing was flaring the outside lip a little bit in three places, turned it around opposite side outboard and pulled it back in place using a combination of my fingers and then a pair of 90* needle nose piers that I was able to hook it and pull with. A few taps with a drift and it remained in place.

Tack welding it without removing the knuckle ball would be a very tough thing to do. I did consider JB Weld, Loctite, or red FIPG. I have time to contemplate this issue because I discovered a considerable scratch on the seal surface of the RCV axle shaft. It’ll be several days before I see the new inner shaft so I could mess with it more but probably won’t bc I already drove a new seal in and my real desire right now is to pull the transfer case and install high range under drive gears that will arrive soon.

Last edited:
View attachment 3121072 I am able to put it back into it’s proper place but fit is loose which is no good.

Only when I have cut off knuckle balls have I messed with them but I have removed them and then reinstalled before welding the knuckle ball back on.

Cheers

There's a set of definitive answers, if I've ever seen one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom