This is bad, Right? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ElPolloBlanco

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
instagram.com
Did a leak test. It turned green. What’s up with that?

C9F5FFBA-BB28-49C5-BAC3-0B3A5143D428.jpeg

It means your coolant is Irish! Yay! for you.

On another note, you can also test your exhaust to see if it turns completely yellow.

Pretty sure you know what that means. If not maybe you shouldn’t be doing a leak test.
Maybe you’re in denial. So here you go:

If the liquid has changed color from blue to yellow or green - it means that the head gasket or the cylinder head is damaged.

Maybe you’re in denial. So here you go:

If the liquid has changed color from blue to yellow or green - it means that the head gasket or the cylinder head is damaged.
Totally in denial. How much is a head gasket job these days?

As much as you want to spend! But can be done for under $1500 if doing work your self and having a machine shop do the head. My shop does heads for $700 to resurface and theee way valve grind, new valve guide seals.

BB542AA2-3470-409C-85BF-7350E4DE9796.jpeg

No expert on anything, but many factors. Why did the gasket fail, is there other damage, how much “while you’re in there” work does it need, are you doing it yourself or paying someone, etc.... basically 4 digits, but the first number is definitely variable...

Last edited:
Do you have green coolant? It can get pulled into the tube if there is not enough room in the radiator when you test.
Red. It was dark outside when I did the test. I’m gonna confirm the fluid level and pull some out and retest. I ran across a thread somewhere on the inter webs that said even a drop can contaminate the sample.

As much as you want to spend! But can be done for under $1500 if doing work your self and having a machine shop do the head. My shop does heads for $700 to resurface and theee way valve grind, new valve guide seals.

View attachment 3120084
Who dosen't love a head gasket job?
Or, better yet, do a complete engine rebuild, that IS too much fun!

Who dosen't love a head gasket job?
Or, better yet, do a complete engine rebuild, that IS too much fun!
I don't have the time to do it. It's a very busy time of year for me with work. Gonna have to farm this out out. Might as well get the rear main taken care of as well. Engine is at 185k so a reasonable rebuild probably wouldn't hurt from a preventative standpoint. Gonna call Georg today and see if I can get it in with them up in Stockton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom