My speedometer started working again, but on its own... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DKM

Threads
Hadn't been driven in a couple of years before I bought it, got it running, been enjoying driving it. When I first started driving it, the speedometer bounced all over the place. The guy who helped me get it going again said the thing wants to be driven, so try to drive it around the neighborhood at least every few days. As I have driven it, the speedometer has calmed down and has settled in to where it's pretty spot on. Is this just because the transfer case fluid (as was all other fluid) was changed and that somehow did the trick?

The bounce is usually a twisting cable, after they get used they might be ok, usually once twisted they will stretch and the bounce is permanent or it is a gear slip in the rudection unit if you have one.

I had a bouncy cable on mine, all I did was unsleave the cable from its housing, clean and oiled. It's been steady ever since. Perhaps yours had some dirt buildup and knocked itself loose as you were driving. Easy fix if it were to start happening again

I had a bouncy cable on mine, all I did was unsleave the cable from its housing, clean and oiled.
I do this on every new cable and every used cable when I work on one. So I guess, every cable…. I put some sheen bearing grease in my palm and run the cable through that as I resheath it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom