3FE Owners Check-In (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh BTW. I had my rig on stock gear on 33s 35s. 488 for 35s and 37s and now T- case with High range underdrive and 3:1 crawler gears. And I said this before and saying this again. Re-gearing is a must for the 3F-E when you upgrade to larger tires. 488 and 35 is a sweet spot, but 529 and 37 is honestly the best setup so far for me. I was able to gain 1-2 mpg w/ the T-case underdrive as the extra RPM keeps me in the power band between 2800-3500 rpm and i was able to keep it in OD, 65-70mph @ ~3k rpm. and not having to downshift to 3rd or 2nd, I regularly go on long trips with my brother's JKU, and i am dead even when comes to pulling steep grade even though his rig has 100 more HP on paper. We both on 37s and heavy...just food for thought...
Is gearing expensive?
I am kind of in the budget camp- but I still went for 33” tires. I did the T-case regear (hi gear under drive and low low gear)and it made a big difference.
I actually did it first on 31s and felt a big difference and then again felt the rig get peppier when I went to 33s.
T Case regear was the cheaper option rather than do differentials.
Also I was able to do the whole job myself.
Again my aim isn’t a rock crawling machine but a capable and good looking rig that doesn’t cost me $20k

Not scared many say not worth buying lt
I forgot to mention when I bought my FJ-80 it was rusted out because the PO ran tapwater and diesel oil in it for way too long, never fixed the vacuum issues, it was knocking and pinging from dirty cylinders / clogged injectors

and the timing was way off. Not many cars can handle that kind of stress. Even the FZJ!

You see the FJ-80 is like your lifelong fat girlfriend that wears flip-flops, walks a little slower, is always there for you, wants to go for hikes in the mountains and never says no to a quick smack on the butt.

The FZJ-80 is like a sporty spice prom queen that everybody wants to ride, demands constant gifts, foot messages, cuddling and she’s also more likely to leave you standing alone at the altar because she’s blowing some dude named head gasket. You get the point.

Last edited:
The FZJ-80 is like a sporty spice prom queen and everybody wants to ride, demands constant gifts, foot messages, cuddling and she’s also more likely to leave you standing alone on the aisle because she’s blowing some dude named head gasket. You get the point.
funny but true...

Not sure if I belong here or not? 80 series 3F-E in my FJ62 with a H55 and split-case behind it (And a few other mods such as boooost)

Have any pictures of your turbo manifold?
She's supercharged, bit of a list of components below. I'll get some proper pics over the weekend and post if you're interested (I don't like how the piping etc. looks and it's a pain to add engine oil and PS fluid, but haven't yet worked out a better way to do it...)

Eaton M90 - Buick 3.8 litre factory blower
generic intercooler and pipes, can't remember the dimensions
440CC injectors (1JZ/2JZ) part number from memory 23250-46100
Bosch '044' Fuel pump - external mounted
Wolf V500 ECU
LS coil packs - sequential ignition setup (she ran for a while with the factory distributor/coil etc, the LS setup is nice to have rather than neccessary)
Engine is stock from an FJ80, done 230,000 km, about 30,000 of these have been supercharged. Never been opened up, but good compression test (185, 182, 187, 190, 180,185, about 300m above sea level)
Multi rib belt with custom made crank pulley
custom mount etc. to hang the blower off the side of the 3F-E
Hurricane headers
Big donaldson airbox and Stainless snorkel

A few things to think about:
This would be very difficult to do without a body lift, it probably could be done if you could fit the blower lower but you'll run into alternator clearance issues.
An LS swap would make much more logical sense
We never got the 3F-E in a 60 series, only in 80s, and no smog stuff like cats, EGR etc.
A supercharged 3F-E barking through 6-2-1 headers and 2.5 inch exhaust with a resonator and lukey chambered muffler sounds mint
With the factory bypass valve connected to manifold vacuum (I think the Buick engine has a solenoid controlled by the ECU to operate this) I cruise at about 10 inches of vacuum, but the throttle pedal becomes like a 'boost switch' - as soon as vacuum drops slightly it shuts the bypass valve and you've got 8 psi of boost.
Throttle is quite touchy with the wolf, similar to a 12H-T diesel if anyone has ever driven one.

More pics to come

Last edited:
She's supercharged, bit of a list of components below. I'll get some proper pics over the weekend and post if you're interested (I don't like how the piping etc. looks and it's a pain to add engine oil and PS fluid, but haven't yet worked out a better way to do it...)

Eaton M90 - Buick 3.8 litre factory blower
generic intercooler and pipes, can't remember the dimensions
440CC injectors (1JZ/2JZ) part number from memory 23250-46100
Bosch '044' Fuel pump - external mounted
Wolf V500 ECU
LS coil packs - sequential ignition setup (she ran for a while with the factory distributor/coil etc, the LS setup is nice to have rather than neccessary)
Engine is stock from an FJ80, done 230,000 km, about 30,000 of these have been supercharged
5 rib belt with custom made crank pulley
custom engine mount etc. to hang off the side of the 3F-E
Hurricane headers
Big donaldson airbox and Stainless snorkel

A few things to think about:
This would be very difficult to do without a body lift, it probably could be done if you could fit the blower lower but you'll run into alternator clearance issues.
An LS swap would make much more logical sense
A supercharged 3F-E barking through 6-2-1 headers and 2.5 inch exhaust with a resonator and lukey chambered muffler sounds mint
With the factory bypass valve connected to manifold vacuum (I think the Buick engine has a solenoid controlled by the ECU to operate this) I cruise at about 10 inches of vacuum, but the throttle pedal becomes like a 'boost switch' - as soon as vacuum drops slightly it shuts the bypass valve and you've got 8 psi of boost.
Throttle is quite touchy with the wolf, similar to a 12H-T diesel if anyone has ever driven one.

More pics to come
I'm familiar with the M-90, it's a great supercharger for a diy boost setup. I'm super interested for pics whenever you get the time.

I'm familiar with the M-90, it's a great supercharger for a diy boost setup. I'm super interested for pics whenever you get the time.
It's pretty cluttered in here but here's a few pics. Please let me know if there's anything specific you want to see?

20220919_175119.jpg

20220919_175125.jpg

20220919_175129.jpg

20220919_175138.jpg

i was driving along and all of a sudden this appeared on my trailer.... at least that's what i told my wife lol. My 98 100 series was lonely so picked up this 91 for a song, 211k, runs and drives like a top other than the v belts squealing at me.

tan 2.jpg

tan 3.jpg

tan 4.jpg

tan 5.jpg

MAN THAT'S PRETTY! Looks to be in better shape then mine, someone loved it! What's your plans for it?
thanks man, ya it has been well cared for. I bought it from the wife of the original owner (who has unfortunately passed on) she told me some stories of how he love this cruiser so much the dog was only allowed to ride in his porsche 924 but not in the cruiser ( he didn't want to get the seat messed up ) lmao

as far as plans for it goes, really just going through an baselining it, taking care of all the little things and getting in perfect running order. Don't get me wrong it runs great but all the belts need to be done and i believe one of the idler pulleys is going bad (i'll tackle that stuff shortly) Tires need to be done due to dry rot and ill be rebuilding the birfs as they are starting to seep

I already have a pretty heavily built 100 series and i dont need 2 built trucks so this one will probably stay pretty mild, slightly bigger tire and maybe a small lift. Just keep it nice and enjoy it

and to have a :beer: for Ken the previous owner, a fellow cruiser head that has passed on, for keeping this truck nice for me to enjoy

Last edited:
thanks man, ya it has been well cared for. I bought it from the wife of the original owner (who has unfortunately passed on) she told me some stories of how he love this cruiser so much the dog was only allowed to ride in his porsche 944 but not in the cruiser ( he didn't want to get the seat messed up ) lmao

as far as plans for it goes, really just going through an baselining it, taking care of all the little things and getting in perfect running order. Don't get me wrong it runs great but all the belts need to be done and i believe one of the idler pulleys is going bad (i'll tackle that stuff shortly) Tires need to be done due to dry rot and ill be rebuilding the birfs as they are starting to seep

I already have a pretty heavily built 100 series and i dont need 2 built trucks so this one will probably stay pretty mild, slightly bigger tire and maybe a small lift. Just keep it nice and enjoy it

and to have a :beer: for Ken the previous owner, a fellow cruiser head that has passed on, for keeping this truck nice for me to enjoy
Sounds like you should built this up for a trail rig as 80s are much more comfortable on dirt and not so much in highway manners (compared to 100s anyways)
But what a beauty. congrats.

Sounds like you should built this up for a trail rig as 80s are much more comfortable on dirt and not so much in highway manners (compared to 100s anyways)
But what a beauty. congrats.
i completely agree with you..... my wallet does not lol

this isnt my first 80 and i'm well aware that it would out drive my 100 7 days a week and twice on sundays, we will see where the build goes

nice. have you dyno the rig? numbers?
She was dynoed with the blower and stock ignition system, I haven't run yet with the sequential LS setup, and only on 95RON fuel so scope for more timing with 98RON or E85 or something.

102 RWKW and 410 RWNM on 35" Baja Claws, I'm sure there's a lot more in it, just a matter of getting the time to strap her down again!

EDIT - the above figures don't sound like much, but I can assure you, it's a massive difference. Speed-wise, she's fairly level, maybe slightly slower than a mate's remapped and exhausted VDJ79 dual cab, also on 35s. I'd say 0-60mph 10-12 seconds, I need to do a run.

Last edited:
How much did u get it for
ultimately the long story goes as followed

i had seen this 80 sitting at a local repair shop for about a month. i finally called them to see what was going on with it. the shop said it had come in for a new sunroof glass and the owner was supposed to supply the part, they did release the owners phone number to be because they did believe she was interested in selling it. Well i called and left a voicemail and about a week later i got a call back, the owner and i spoke in lengths about the truck and the other vehicle she had. She said that she was getting up in age and she wasn't going to get to the vehicles that were in the barn and was interested in selling everything, she really didn't have the expertise to list them in front of the right audiences either. Well it turned out that in the barn there was an 73'porsche 911T targa, 88" porsche 924, 59 BMW R69S motorcycle, 76 R90E BMW motorcycle and an 85' K100RS BMW motorcycle. We came to an agreement that i would help her sell off the vehicles for a commission.

i quickly found a buyer for the 924 and one of the bikes. we are currently in the process of getting the 911T prepared for a BAT auction. After the sale of the first 2 vehicles she sat me down to speak about my commission for helping her get her barn cleared out. well that commission happen to be this 80 series! By the end of it i will have a TON of hours cleaning this barn out and selling off all these vehicles so my time is not free. She was very excited about the fact the Cruiser was going to someone that would love it as much as her Late husband did. I'm really enjoying doing some "automotive archeology" pulling these cars out and giving them a new chance at life. Overall the whole experience has been surreal and i was blown away that she wanted to give me the cruiser as payment for all the work, i tried to offer her some cash for it and she firmly told me NO and that i didn't understand how much this is helping her.

Moral of the story is treat everyone with kindness and respect, good things will follow

ultimately the long story goes as followed

i had seen this 80 sitting at a local repair shop for about a month. i finally called them to see what was going on with it. the shop said it had come in for a new sunroof glass and the owner was supposed to supply the part, they did release the owners phone number to be because they did believe she was interested in selling it. Well i called and left a voicemail and about a week later i got a call back, the owner and i spoke in lengths about the truck and the other vehicle she had. She said that she was getting up in age and she wasn't going to get to the vehicles that were in the barn and was interested in selling everything, she really didn't have the expertise to list them in front of the right audiences either. Well it turned out that in the barn there was an 73'porsche 911T targa, 88" porsche 924, 59 BMW R69S motorcycle, 76 R90E BMW motorcycle and an 85' K100RS BMW motorcycle. We came to an agreement that i would help her sell off the vehicles for a commission.

i quickly found a buyer for the 924 and one of the bikes. we are currently in the process of getting the 911T prepared for a BAT auction. After the sale of the first 2 vehicles she sat me down to speak about my commission for helping her get her barn cleared out. well that commission happen to be this 80 series! By the end of it i will have a TON of hours cleaning this barn out and selling off all these vehicles so my time is not free. She was very excited about the fact the Cruiser was going to someone that would love it as much as her Late husband did. I'm really enjoying doing some "automotive archeology" pulling these cars out and giving them a new chance at life. Overall the whole experience has been surreal and i was blown away that she wanted to give me the cruiser as payment for all the work, i tried to offer her some cash for it and she firmly told me NO and that i didn't understand how much this is helping her.

Moral of the story is treat everyone with kindness and respect, good things will follow
Great story. Makes the owning of the thing more meaningful too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom