Suggest the easiest way to fix my hacked up exhaust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some idiot appears to have cut out the cat, welded in some tubing, welded up the bunfs for the o2 sensors and left them dangling. How tf am I gonna fix this without spending a fortune? Generic cat and have a shop weld in a wye pipe and some bungs? That's all I can think of

F79125AB-3146-4284-94F4-B33353BE9CBA.jpeg
B96CDDD6-D2D5-42DA-BFA2-075FB22EA234.jpeg
AB3D5EDF-0F79-4533-B6E2-8E54C1E9E526.jpeg
9B44F301-1906-4C30-84B5-D691DB1F7910.jpeg

The best thing is to swap in a first gen cummins to avoid ever needing a cat ever.

When logic says that's not reasonable, maybe some magnaflow aftermarkets. though you may want to just take it to a shop and replace more than a few feet of pipe on that while your at it.

How tf am I gonna fix this without spending a fortune?
1. Drink a beer.
2. Zip tie the loose wires to the frame.
3. Have another beer.
4. Order a scan gauge.
5. 3rd beer.
6. Install the scan gauge and ignore/clear the po420 codes.

Options will depend on local emissions regulations. I have no clue how this works in Honolulu, but here, you would need to weld in new cats and o2 bungs and make sure it clears all obd codes and ECU reads "ready" in all categories. Even if you don't do everything by the book or you don't have emissions regulations in your locale, I would still recommend putting cats in just to reduce the lawnmower stank and not fork up our air quality any worse than it already is.

You're acting like this is a surprise to you, did you not inspect the vehicle when you bought it? Or did a thief really weld in straight pipes for you? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

AB3D5EDF-0F79-4533-B6E2-8E54C1E9E526~2.jpeg

@philip g OMFG

The weld in the center of the bung isn't the end of the world, since you could always drill it out, but can you salvage any threads on those studs?

I have a full oem exhaust I’m getting ready to sell. Pm me if you’re interested. It’s in great shape with brand new o2 sensors.

The best thing is to swap in a first gen cummins to avoid ever needing a cat ever.

When logic says that's not reasonable, maybe some magnaflow aftermarkets. though you may want to just take it to a shop and replace more than a few feet of pipe on that while your at it.
This truck ain't worth the time or expense. Too much rust

1. Drink a beer.
2. Zip tie the loose wires to the frame.
3. Have another beer.
4. Order a scan gauge.
5. 3rd beer.
6. Install the scan gauge and ignore/clear the po420 codes.
It's a obd1
I have no idea what not having the sensors reading actually does to the obd1 cars

Last edited:
It's a obd1
I have no idea what not having the sensors reading actually does to the obd1 cars

Either makes it run lean or rich basically. Same as lots of other little parts under the hood that are almost 30 years old and not working properly.

Seriously just zip tie the wires up and forget about it unless you want to spend $$$$$$ on parts to save $ on .3 extra mpg's.

Unless you have some kind of emissions to pass. Than you will need to get everything sorted.

I didn't ask for advice to spend $15k on a cummins swap when all it needs is a few hundred bucks in exhaust work.
Definitely wouldn’t be that much.

Regardless, your easiest route is to put the 02’s in the header. Get rid of the PAIR. You can use a 95-97 coolant hard line, or just use a coolant hose to get around where the PAIR was. Harness is long enough to reach there. Should run like a top with no CEL.

If you want to do it ‘right’ it won’t be a few hundred. It’ll be be a few thousand. Those cats aren’t cheap.

I have a full oem exhaust I’m getting ready to sell. Pm me if you’re interested. It’s in great shape with brand new o2 sensors.
What year truck are you pulling the exhaust from?

91-92 is one style
93-94 is another style
95-97 is the last style and most available.

What year truck are you pulling the exhaust from?

91-92 is one style
93-94 is another style
95-97 is the last style and most available.
He's a 95+
What I don't know is if you got the entire system if it would be usable from the exhaust manifold back and you plugged the o2 bugs and move the sensors

Definitely wouldn’t be that much.

Regardless, your easiest route is to put the 02’s in the header. Get rid of the PAIR. You can use a 95-97 coolant hard line, or just use a coolant hose to get around where the PAIR was. Harness is long enough to reach there. Should run like a top with no CEL.

If you want to do it ‘right’ it won’t be a few hundred. It’ll be be a few thousand. Those cats aren’t cheap.
I don't think my harness is long enough. The connection is down by the resonator. But I can extend them a d see if a shop can weld in a cheap generic cat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom