Installed a 4Runner clutch pedal in my '97 LX-454 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I needed a clutch pedal assembly in my 1997 Lexus LX-450.
Since I am poor and I think I'm rather clever, I bought a clutch pedal assembly from a pull-n-save yard out of a 1999 4Runner (P/N 31310-35050) for $18.00.
There is already a spot for a clutch master cylinder on the firewall (with two mounting studs and the top brace nut) in the 1997 LX-450.
I just had to drill out a center hole for the piston rod.
I bought a new clutch master cylinder assembly for $50 from NAPA (NCF 72315). It is a 5/8" bore.
This is sufficient to drive the 7/8" slave cylinder (P/N 31470-60230) I have set up on the 14" Valeo ceramic button clutch (I hope).
The fluid lines (both hard and soft) cost about $20. The DOT 3 fluid, about $8.
Essentially, for less that $100 I now have a clutch pedal in my LX-454.
Of course, I probably have abut $400 of labor ($600, including the Guinness) in bending and fitting the pedal assembly, but I tend to write that off as "therapy".

IMG_4787.JPG

I will bite, what makes it a 454 instead of a 450 and why do you have a clutch?

I will bite, what makes it a 454 instead of a 450 and why do you have a clutch?
When my baby blew a head gasket at 315K miles it was almost half as cheap (not easier) for me to build up a 7.4L GMC (430 HP, 575 ft/lb torque) and an Eaton FS6406A six speed manual transmission I had lying around than it was to rebuild the Toyota 4.5L to 300 HP and rebuild the A442F transmission.
I help build trails in Colorado and I need a triple locked AWD vehicle to to tow ~6000 lbs. in the high mountains in all weather, all trail conditions.
The (C6500) Budweiser delivery truck donor has a 17" flywheel and a 14" ceramic button clutch, so I need a pedal (although I really want a duck clutch lever $$$$).
My LX-450 now has a 454, hence the LX-454 designation.
I also call it a GMLC, for GM powered Land Cruiser.
I just got it running with the original PCM and fly-by-wire throttle and I'm about to test the custom coupling we machined for the FS6406A/HF2AV transfer case marriage.
If that works I'll get the driveshaft lengths corrected, it will be ready for a test drive and I'll dial in the differential ratios and tire sizes just in time for snowboard season.
if not, I'll be building up a 4L80E to handle the torque and using my Mark's adapter.

PNUC1799.JPG

A thing of beauty!

Nice !

when I see that it makes me wonder why they never put a V8 in them originally
Well, apparently Toyota had a bunch of forklift engines lying around back then!
It was a great improvement over the 2F, you simply can't tow in the mountains at highway speeds with it.
A five or six speed would have been the game changer. The automatic gear ratios just limit 45-60 mph ability under load.
The Eaton has a 9.0:1 first gear and a 1:1 sixth gear.
My 1994 went 350K miles before it blew the head gasket. Can't hardly complain about either of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom