Any Vise Collectors Here? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

with a mill should not be too difficult to cut a a groove or shelf, thread a couple of holes and put some jaw inserts in, actually

What can you vise guys tell me about this one.

IMG_1655.jpg
IMG_1657.jpg

"keystone" Hollands. These are "through the bench" mounts. Nice old combination vise easily over the century mark. These are also notable for their arched dynamic slide. If the pipe jaws are there, it is a great find. Rarer still is the bottom handle (under the bench) that would secure the swivel. these are often gone from older vises for some reason.

Last edited:
Thanks, no pipe jaws or bottom handle. Handle something like this?

View attachment 3059893
Yes. These are rare because the are hammered tight for (in your case) CENTURIES and are cast and not made for that abuse. I’ve seen old Reed bottom handles fetch twice what the vise makes.

Just saw something interesting. You know how Snap-on stuff is crazy expensive? Well, I saw a 6" Snap-on vise for sale with the usual Snap-on high price compared to similar more pedestrian items. But this one does look an awful lot like a Wilton Bullet. In which case the crazy Snap-on price would perhaps be a good deal for a Wilton bullet.

Do you know if Wilton made bullets for Snap-on?

added: yup, looks like it did. This one is a 1760. What is that worth in used but decent condition (paint worn but metal does not look much gouged)?

Last edited:
yes, just about, not as pretty though, and 1760. But looks like it's already gone. Looks like it was priced too low. Should have moved on it.

@e9999 The "Tradesman" line of Wilton (1740, 1745, 1750, 1760, 1780) are fantastic home use Wiltons. In the late 90s-2010(ish), they licensed their vise to Snap-On, NAAPA, and a couple others. These will still have Made in USA cast on the left side but a flat area where Wilton would be cast on an older vise, to facilitate the new distributor.

what would a snapon1760 in good mechanical but only fair cosmetic condition be worth, for next time?

what would a snapon1760 in good mechanical but only fair cosmetic condition be worth, for next time?
I'd say a good working 1760 is 200-250 in your pocket.

^ Good to know, I would have guessed more. Thanks.

Got ahold of TWO Reed 106 vises. One is a 4 hole “R” series and the other is a “big logo” 106 on an incredible stand! The vise stand combo is 643 pounds!

E8F4AFB1-C4F9-40B4-A5A9-1262EADF1AE6.jpeg

21E72EF9-0DA7-49CC-B992-8EC2A2B75F97.jpeg

09AC332A-51E1-4516-8AEA-E0C30BD6DF1A.jpeg

Looking at a decently clean Reed 4C with pipe jaws. Only thing it's missing the swivel base, how much value do those add. He's asking $600 but maybe that could be a negotiating point but not sure if this is reasonable already. Bent handle also

00o0o_byk1ofDG0lKz_0CI0sR_1200x900.jpg

you guys are all in the better-wear-titanium-toe-boots class...

us in the lowly sub-100 lbs class can only look on with envy.... cuz clearly having to buy a 600 lbs vise is a formidable reason to buy a forklift too...

(and I would love to get a forklift...)

@bhsdriller $600 is about what I'd ask if it were mine (I'd also take 500). Make sure that isn't a weld near the bottom of the static (probably just slag but...). The good thing is any 6" Reed swivel will work 206 or 4C. A complete 4C in good condition is an EASY $1000 these days.

@bhsdriller $600 is about what I'd ask if it were mine (I'd also take 500). Make sure that isn't a weld near the bottom of the static (probably just slag but...). The good thing is any 6" Reed swivel will work 206 or 4C. A complete 4C in good condition is an EASY $1000 these days.

Thanks I don't think it's a weld but would check it close if I went to look at it

Screenshot 2022-09-01 075822.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom