FJ80 vs FZJ80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

*That* is your aesthetic standard?!

Yes. All the G wags I adore esp the IFS new body. Only the classic Defenders I covet such as this one.

Screenshot 2022-09-16 10.11.23 AM.png

Well engines like the 1UZ and 1GR have Al blocks and they don't give anything up on the 1FZ in terms of reliability. I get that cast iron blocks are stronger, but that's only a factor under high boost. So I wonder why they insisted on keeping the iron block when switching to Al heads, knowing the dissimilar expansions could cause HG issues.
Im gonna guess that they couldnt fit or didnt want to go thru the expense of making the 1uz work in the engine bay. The 1gr came out after 1993. Going with a straight six and doing baby steps to satisfy customer requirements and minimize costs is the primary goal IMHO. Maybe at first they just wanted to add more valves to the 3fe but didnt have the room.

Dear ih8mud Forum,

First time/Newbie buying a Toyota Land Cruiser. I've always wanted to have one and deciding between a Model 80 vs. Model 100. I am checking out a 1992 Land Cruiser with 240K miles. It's advertised with a FJ80 engine. In my research, most people say go with the FZJ80 engine since it has more horsepower and slightly better gas mileage. Is this true?
Also the Series 80s seem to be the most sought after models, i.e., their prices are appreciating faster compared to the Model 100s. Any advice here is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
OP, what is your plan for the vehicle and what is your budget?

3fe power, AC on, into the wind, full tank and hot…. Yeah baby this old girl is hot! Unfortunately she doesn't blow….wait maybe thats a good thing???

View attachment 3121017
Your idiot temp gauge looks a lil suspect. It is creeping past half mark...what temp did your aftermarket temp gauges tells ya? Are you sure this is not a 1fz or your going downhill w/ those speed? lol

Last edited:
Your idiot temp gauge looks a lil suspect. It is creeping past half mark...what temp did your aftermarket temp gauges tells ya? Are you sure this is not a 1fz or your going downhill w/ those speed? lol
Oh its good to see ur not done with the post yet Marco lol. Nope not a 1fz, she’s in the driveway waiting for a new
its good the see your not done with this post yet Marco lol. Nope thats a 3fe going down hill with a tail wind and getting towed by a 1fz, lol. Actually my 1fz is sitting in the driveway waiting for a TYC 1918, and shes squirting water after i ride her because she also gets hot… but in a bad way, see pic. So new orings are required on the thermo bypass tube. I have kept the HG from blowing up by putting in water wetter (every FZJ owner should do this by the way) to decrease the surface tension and bubble cavitation at the HG junction.

49CB49DE-8957-4487-A90A-D0D6C61201E6.jpeg

Oh its good to see ur not done with the post yet Marco lol. Nope not a 1fz, she’s in the driveway waiting for a new

its good the see your not done with this post yet Marco lol. Nope thats a 3fe going down hill with a tail wind and getting towed by a 1fz, lol. Actually my 1fz is sitting in the driveway waiting for a TYC 1918, and shes squirting water after i ride her because she also gets hot… but in a bad way, see pic. So new orings are required on the thermo bypass tube. I have kept the HG from blowing up by putting in water wetter (every FZJ owner should do this by the way) to decrease the surface tension and bubble cavitation at the HG junction.

View attachment 3121074
Oh I am not done....can't be missing all the fun.
The only time i use water wetter is in my FD3Ss....and my e36 track car.
Wankel engines don't blow apex seals, it is the HEAT that kills the engine. Much like the 1FZ-FE. The only difference is, 1FZ-FE is SLOW, Wankel is not... Funny how they make fun of older slower vehicles but secretly admiring V8s.
Good stuff.

3fe power, AC on, into the wind, full tank and hot…. Yeah baby this old girl is hot! Unfortunately she doesn't blow….wait maybe thats a good thing???

View attachment 3121017
I can hear the gas needle free falling to empty. Gotta love r12 though. My AC almost spits ice cubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom