About rebuilt PS pumps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy-

Its time to refresh a weeping PS pump that is starting to whine. I dont have a press, nor the time to devote to rebuilding it myself...

RA has rebuilt units for less than 100$ that look pretty decent. There are 2 brands: Cardone and BBB Industries. I know nothing about either.

Anyone had experience (good or bad) with either of these companies? Any reason I shouldnt buy one of these? Or, is there a better rebuilder I am not considering?

What would you do if you were me? Any advice?

Last edited:
I watched a Youtube video of a guy replacing the fzj80 PS pump. He mentioned having a couple aftermarket pumps fail, finally went OEM.

I think the general recommendation here on MUD is to spring for the much more expensive Toyota pump. That was my choice.

The rebuilt pumps have an issue because there is a plug with an O-ring that is never part of the replacement and there are no replacement parts from Toyota. Absolute Wits' End makes an emergency plug for that location that I would HIGHLY recommend obtaining and carrying in the truck if you choose to go with a rebuilt option. It is known that these plugs will blow out at a random time and immediately puke out all your PS fluid making steering very difficult.

When these units are rebuilt, the housings are "hot tanked" and this may degrade the plug and or O-ring so the failure will be more prevalent.

I know of one person that had theirs fail and they had to continue to drive with no PS pump oil for 3-4 hours, made it off the trail and home, however, I am not sure of the final results of the life of the pump or gearbox after that event.

When these units are rebuilt, the housings are "hot tanked" and this may degrade the plug and or O-ring so the failure will be more prevalent.

very useful information, thanks!

When researching this for myself, I found it pretty easy to conclude that the only way to go is new OEM or to rebuild yourself with OEM parts. You still have to do a gear swap either way.

Sure a new OEM is more expensive, but “the poor man pays twice“ (or more), and you don’t have to question its reliability

Consider your hoses while you’re at it. One place to save $$ is the high pressure line. The Rein part from rockauto receives high praises and is much cheaper than OEM

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the link, but I'm working on the small gear driven pump, not the gearbox. I had that rebuilt already.
1663352730647.gif

I dont have a press

I know you don't have time, but just for the record, you don't need a press. You do need a vise with soft jaws, and some kind of bearing puller.

If I couldn't do it myself, I'd buy the Toyota or Gates rebuild kit and have a local mechanic do it. It's a pretty standard pump setup, so I don't imagine it would be hard to find someone to do the job.

You need the handle for holding the gear so you don't damage it when removing.

The emergency plug is on another page.

He has the good stuff.

Also has the pump it looks like........

You can also rebuild the pump you have.

IMHO there's only one option, buy a new OEM PS pump while they're still available from Toyota. Keep and rebuild the old pump for a spare as mentioned above or sell it. You'll regret not buying a new pump once they're discontinued.

Having said that, IME these pumps (OEM) seem to last forever, with or without leaks. I have a new pump in my parts stash but the original pumps in my 80's refuse to die.

Last edited:
buy a new OEM PS pump

Wow, WTF, it's only $271.88 on McGeorge right now?!

It's around $400 - $500 on Partsouq and Amayama.

Does anyone know how often these can be rebuilt? I got a used one and rebuilt it. When the time came i replaced the one i had in it. The seals etc that were on the one i removed were all Chinese stuff. So i know it has been rebuilt already before. Not sure if i should rebuild it or just toss it.

I also don't think i would want to buy a rebuilt one if i didn't do it myself. Plus i paint mine up light colors so that i can see leaks better. Sort of a trust but verify my work if i didn't just get new oem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom