Replacing outer window felts, FJ60 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CenTXFJ60

SILVER Star
Threads
So there’s not a lot of threads on this. Bought new outer felts from Toyota. Just painted this truck so wanted to see if I could get the new felts to reattach to the chrome base. When I painted my personal 60 several years ago (blue truck in the pics) I could not figure out how to make it work. So this time around I spent a little more time dissecting things and realized I could remove the new clips and reattach the old ones. Seems to have worked so far. Had to pinch the old clips with needle nose pliers to ensure they would grip/pinch the rubber to the chrome base. The new ones are manufactured a bit different with a grove to accommodate the new clip. No turning back as I installed the window frame chrome and pretty certain it will take off some new paint if I remove it again. The metal clip is from the original felt. And another interesting fact…not all chrome bases are the same for all year 60’s. I have a pile of them and when I looked some had slotted holes for clips and the ones on this copper 85 model have no holes.

EE236FBC-7742-4FA9-9FDD-7BADDE8DD696.jpeg

97BDCCD5-8930-4DEC-A95A-CF1849308B31.jpeg

64E70EAC-3140-4BBF-9303-1B01260200AB.jpeg

11326572-5651-4F8D-BB8C-9897810C2CAF.jpeg

1E07D13A-BBBF-44AE-A7B0-64DB9902E1D9.jpeg

Jimmy, I just finished this project on my truck. I bought my outer felts from CityRacer. Good price and great product. I also worked with @ChaserFJ60 to develop repro plastic clips for attaching to the door. Check them out here. If you remove the clips that come with the CityRacer felts (which look identical to your Toyota parts), then you can use the new plastic clips to mount instead of the steel. Too late for this project, but maybe good to know for the future.

My '84 truck had the metal clips, and my '87 HJ60 had the white plastic. I prefer the plastic as they don't scratch the paint. As for the slots in the chrome strip, I think both sets of mine had them.

Your paint work is stunning. Love the colour. And I think I agree with your ex, a subtle pinstripe is all it needs.

Jimmy, I just finished this project on my truck. I bought my outer felts from CityRacer. Good price and great product. I also worked with @ChaserFJ60 to develop repro plastic clips for attaching to the door. Check them out here. If you remove the clips that come with the CityRacer felts (which look identical to your Toyota parts), then you can use the new plastic clips to mount instead of the steel. Too late for this project, but maybe good to know for the future.

My '84 truck had the metal clips, and my '87 HJ60 had the white plastic. I prefer the plastic as they don't scratch the paint. As for the slots in the chrome strip, I think both sets of mine had them.

Your paint work is stunning. Love the colour. And I think I agree with your ex, a subtle pinstripe is all it needs.
Than you Ken. I do agree the pinstriping will be a good touch. And very interesting information on the clips. I’ll definitely give that a read. Did you post up information on your window runs? Also, I want to check out the great work you’ve been doing on your truck.

Clips are available here for whom it may concern, Ive had alot of good feedback on these clips, in fact these clips are probably one of my more popular items.

@CenTXFJ60 @ChaserFJ60 I've always been a little confused by this "window felt" thing. Some people say it's available for the 60, some people say you need to get 70 series stuff and chop it down. Are we talking about the entire assembly of the chrome strip and rubber behind/on top of it?

I agree this can be
@CenTXFJ60 @ChaserFJ60 I've always been a little confused by this "window felt" thing. Some people say it's available for the 60, some people say you need to get 70 series stuff and chop it down. Are we talking about the entire assembly of the chrome strip and rubber behind/on top of it?
I agree this can be confusing. Took me a while to figure it out myself. So you can still by the felts from Toyota but they come without the chrome trim. The clips that come on them are designed for mounting the felts directly to the door as you’ll see above on my blue 60. So if you remove the old clips/felt from the original chrome bases, you can mate the new felt to the base using the old metal clips or preferably buying the new plastic ones from ChaserFJ60. You do have to remove the new clips that come with the felts from Toyota and toss them in the trash can. See the pics. You’ll see the new product from Toyota (those are the rear doors). Also included a picture of it mounted and identified the new felt and the old base.
37166606-A66C-447C-BC94-F4F9D15B363E.jpeg
90CFAAA0-BAF6-4EC8-B93B-0AFEF20EDE28.jpeg

C0159010-D1B6-4F7D-8AC6-7A143FFA4D37.jpeg

I agree this can be

I agree this can be confusing. Took me a while to figure it out myself. So you can still by the felts from Toyota but they come without the chrome trim. The clips that come on them are designed for mounting the felts directly to the door as you’ll see above on my blue 60. So if you remove the old clips/felt from the original chrome bases, you can mate the new felt to the base using the old metal clips or preferably buying the new plastic ones from ChaserFJ60. You do have to remove the new clips that come with the felts from Toyota and toss them in the trash can. See the pics. You’ll see the new product from Toyota (those are the rear doors). Also included a picture of it mounted and identified the new felt and the old base. View attachment 3114993View attachment 3114995

View attachment 3114994
This makes so much sense now, thanks for clearing that up. I wish the chrome was still available ... but we take what we can get, right?

This makes so much sense now, thanks for clearing that up. I wish the chrome was still available ... but we take what we can get, right?
Totally get that. FWIW I use this to clean up the stainless. Brings it back pretty well

Probably works for the OEM chrome wheels too I bet.
I believe so. A friend out of Austin used it and recommended it to me. I’ll definitely give it a shot on the wheels for this copper 60

So, are you saying that I can use the new Outer felts from City Race, the clips from ChaserFJ60 and reuse my old chrome?

I did post about the window runs and clips, but not in a build thread of my own. I'll try to find threads and edit this post to link to them so people can find the information.

Any luck finding the post about the window runs?

Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom