How would you wire a system that used a switch panel (switch pro/auxbeam) but have a fuse/relay/rocker switch redundancy? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am starting to add some 12v accessories And want to run the auxbeam 8 gang switch panel. Since it’s a cheaper unit compared to some thing like the switch pro I want to have a fuse and relay system that runs to a set of rocket switches in the glovebox or something. Would it be possible to run both of these systems and have a switch to active the fuse/relay if the switch panel were to fail?

I will have my air compressor, winch, and probably 3 to four sets of lights.

Thanks!

If I understand correctly...yes? You want to double the number of points of failure for the sake of redundancy, right?
Suggest choosing one panel or the other, but not both.
Make it redundant with a dual batt setup and a switch deciding which batt to power said same circuit.
I'm a running something like that.

If I understand correctly...yes? You want to double the number of points of failure for the sake of redundancy, right?
Suggest choosing one panel or the other, but not both.
Make it redundant with a dual batt setup and a switch deciding which batt to power said same circuit.
I'm a running something like that.

Basically I am worried that the switch panel will fail and I will be forced to rewire everything in the middle of nowhere. So I was thinking if I had a fused relay system already built and installed, I could fall back on that in the case of a switch panel failure.

But thinking about it more, if the switch panel fails, the only two necessities would be my winch and compressor, which wouldn’t be hard to rewire.

You could just add 8 switches underhood next to each relay that share a hot source on one terminal and that when closed will send hot to each respective switch's relay's coil +. instead of having 8 rocker switches in the glove box.

Basically I am worried that the switch panel will fail and I will be forced to rewire everything in the middle of nowhere.
What?? Build the panel with good switches. Maybe double the amp capacity of the switch to what is expected?
Trust me, you will be more concerned with keeping power to the panel than experiencing a failure with a properly built panel.
So I was thinking if I had a fused relay system already built and installed, I could fall back on that in the case of a switch panel failure.

But thinking about it more, if the switch panel fails, the only two necessities would be my winch and compressor, which wouldn’t be hard to rewire.
If I were you and had to build 1 panel, I'd look into using circuit breakers as switches if you're that concerned about reliability. They aren't perfect either, but you gain some current control and over-current protection as a side.

Otherwise just some good switches with proper amp rating for the circuit
a good fuse box - BlueSea or similar
properly sized wire and good marine grade connectors and heatshrink
properly rated relays for circuits pushing more than 10A (personal pref really)
LED's to indicate or illuminate
and you're good.

Current and voltage monitoring would be a next step and is worth every penny when done correctly.

What?? Build the panel with good switches. Maybe double the amp capacity of the switch to what is expected?
Trust me, you will be more concerned with keeping power to the panel than experiencing a failure with a properly built panel.

If I were you and had to build 1 panel, I'd look into using circuit breakers as switches if you're that concerned about reliability. They aren't perfect either, but you gain some current control and over-current protection as a side.

Otherwise just some good switches with proper amp rating for the circuit
a good fuse box - BlueSea or similar
properly sized wire and good marine grade connectors and heatshrink
properly rated relays for circuits pushing more than 10A (personal pref really)
LED's to indicate or illuminate
and you're good.

Current and voltage monitoring would be a next step and is worth every penny when done correctly.

When I said switch panel I meant a solid state panel like the auxbeam or switch pro, not a panel of rocker switches. In case that wasn’t clear.

FWIW I don't understand the appeal of these solid state all-in-one switching 'solutions.'

Can buy TL series Honeywell switches and quality relays if the switch's ampacity is exceeded by the circuit or other constraints require one, and with a couple spares (can even steal them from less important circuits) any field failure is a simple fix. No need for building in redundancy.

FWIW I don't understand the appeal of these solid state all-in-one switching 'solutions.'
They are in the vein of 'driver modes' - a substitute for knowledge, skill, and mechanical capability (virtual lockers, for example). As for the panel, I get it. But boy are they pricey. And they represent a single point of failure which, in such an event, will require the very knowledge and skill they are meant to replace to resolve the issue.
So...not sure there is a sum gain with their use.

Can buy TL series Honeywell switches and quality relays if the switch's ampacity is exceeded by the circuit or other constraints require one, and with a couple spares (can even steal them from less important circuits) any field failure is a simple fix. No need for building in redundancy.
Apart form carrying a couple spares if desired, agreed.

The auxbeam works great and is less than $100 for 6 switches. I ended up doing a relay for my air, compressor and winch, and then all of my off-road lights are through the switch panel since they aren’t mission critical and it won’t really matter I can’t use them due to the panel failing.

TL's in the field, as it were:
i-VLr59Td-M.jpg

"Main" kills power to everything except the compressor, and "Comp" kills the air compressor when turned "on" so it isn't running during stuff like this:
i-RvqHk4z.jpg

The auxbeam works great and is less than $100 for 6 switches. I ended up doing a relay for my air, compressor and winch, and then all of my off-road lights are through the switch panel since they aren’t mission critical and it won’t really matter I can’t use them due to the panel failing.
While I didn't find the 6-pot panel for $100 I do see more affordable options compared to others.
Your use of the panel for non-critical mods is right on imo. 👍

While I didn't find the 6-pot panel for $100 I do see more affordable options compared to others.
Your use of the panel for non-critical mods is right on imo. 👍
Yeah it looks like price has gone up a bit from the last time I looked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom