Drive shaft stuck, what can I do (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arcadian

GOLD Star
Threads
Took my 1983 FJ60 to have the transfer case seals replaced. Front was no problem. Mechanic said he worked all day on rear drive shaft and can not remove it from vehicle. How can it be removed? will it have to be cut off and if so any idea where I can find another one or will I have to have a custom one built? any suggestions appreciated.

Remove from diff end first. Once the bolts are out, pry free from diff flange, then the transfer end will have clearance to come over the studs.

You may also need weight on the rear axle /suspension to get the 2 flanges apart as much as needed.

we need more details. post a few photos of the problem. are the bolts rounded or something? If I was a professional mechanic, I think I'd be pretty embarrassed that I couldn't remove a LC drive shaft. This mech sounds suspicious and flaky.

Report back with more data points.

It may be overfilled with grease.

Try and pry on a flange and press the zerk fitting with a screw driver to release pressure.

This is simple stuff, so ...

If it won't compress (at T'case end), remove the grease nipple, it may be clogged, then compress the slip yoke.

Other than that, it just unbolts from the t'case flange and should pop off, maybe needing a few whacks with a mallet.

then the transfer end will have clearance to come over the studs.

Other than that, it just unbolts from the t'case flange
Admittedly, I've been under a truck with a one-piece case much more than I've looked at a split case for several years... does the split case have bolts or studs at rear output? If bolts, then my suggestion of removing the diff end first is moot.

Bolts.

Bolts and studs are removed on both ends and it will not budge. Supposed to remove the zerk tomorrow if that doesn’t work only thing I can figure is splines are bent. Can they be fixed if that is the case or will I have to source a new shaft?

Ratchet strap between u-joint openings to cinch it together? Loosen u-bolts and slide axle back on the spring?

Assess the condition once it's off, should be easy to track down a good used unit here in the classifieds if needed.

Have the Cruiser on the ground and not on a lift. Fire up the 2F, 1st gear, and let out on the clutch but be prepared to immediately reapply the clutch. This should at least break the driveshaft free from the diff.

*This may not be the best advice but if I were dealing with this issue I'd give it a shot.*

Try what @HemiAlex said. When overfilled with grease it is impossible to take off. Use a needle or small screwdriver on the zerks. I have had this happen before. Don’t go with the nuclear options until you have tried this first.

Once driveshaft is removed...I would suggest now is the time for new u-joints and a though cleaning and re-lube of the slip joint with a new zerk fitting.

Pull the zerk fitting, set cruiser back on the ground, get on the bumper and bounce the suspension. Should compress the drive shaft enough to remove. might need two people on the bumper.

Zerk pulled, shaft will not come down, can rotate it 45 degrees left and right

Have you or mechanic tried a pry bar (big) between the flange and the DS yoke to force it to slide/compress?

Yes only separates about 1/4 inch between the flange and can not pry it down

is it on a 2 post lift?

What kind of mechanic is this?

At this point, some pictures are necessary. This much difficulty removing a DS just doesn't make sense.

went down to his shop this weekend while it was sitting outside, jumped up and down on bumper until grease started coming out hole where zerk was removed then got under and kept working back and forth working grease out until got it removed. do I guess it was locked from to much compressed grease. Anyone know a good Landcruiser mechanic in East Arkansas or Memphis area. I had one but he stays booked 3 months out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom