92 HDJ81 radiator-where to get? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys where do you guys get a radiator for a 92 HDJ81?

Hi guys where do you guys get a radiator for a 92 HDJ81?
You can get aftermarket from ebay or aliexpress

Part number you want is 16400-17030

C$ 408.88 39% Off | Car Radiator For Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 SUV 4.2 1HD-T 1HD-FT 1990-1997 HZJ76 HZJ78 HZJ70 HZJ73 HZJ75 HZJ79 HZJ77 16400-17030

I used to be able to get on Rockauto “Denso” equivalent

But looks like there a bit hard to come by.

A 3FE one from an 80 series is a direct fit
Hey good too know!!! Sounds like you have confirmed figment :)

If that’s the case then there’s aftermarket support for it.

It looks like you can get 16400-17030 online from the usual overseas part retailer crew for $600+ (with shipping). Toyodiy leads me to think that this was used on automatic HZJ81 and HDJ80 at some point. No idea how compatibility would work there.

I'm personally eying 16400-17020 for HZJ80 manuals, which you can get from US (and Canada I believe) dealerships for less. And putting in a transmission cooler, not worrying about having a radiator do temperature control on the ATF.

It looks like you can get 16400-17030 online from the usual overseas part retailer crew for $600+ (with shipping). Toyodiy leads me to think that this was used on automatic HZJ81 and HDJ80 at some point. No idea how compatibility would work there.

I'm personally eying 16400-17020 for HZJ80 manuals, which you can get from US (and Canada I believe) dealerships for less. And putting in a transmission cooler, not worrying about having a radiator do temperature control on the ATF.

Rodney at WAT says unless you live where it's consistently below freezing there's no point.

-17030/17060 are discontinued. Haven’t been available in years.

-17020 is readily available from any Toyota dealer globally.

Just received my 16400-17200 and pulled my own radiator. Haven't installed it yet, looks like it'll bolt up nicely (including inlet/outlet pipes), but already have one note on fit for the fan shroud. It looks like it only will match up/bolt to one of the 1HD-FT fan shroud mounting holes, not both. But the bottom tabs lock in. I figure this won't be a problem so it's just going to go in. maybe a bracket is fab-able if required.

Bottom tabs:

IMG_3374.jpeg
IMG_3375 2.jpeg

mounting hole that lines up:

IMG_3376.jpeg

and the mounting hole that doesn't:

IMG_3377.jpeg

One other note now that's in my truck and filled up with coolant: I had to extend the line from the coolant tank to be a bit under 3 feet. I used generic 1/4" heater hose but it is a tad bit tight on the coolant reservoir and radiator. I wonder if 7mm hose is correct.

It does have these nice plastic pieces for threading the coolant line through that I appreciate.

IMG_3499.jpeg

IMG_3500.jpeg

IMG_3501.jpeg

I have a couple questions and may need a primer on the AT specific radiator needs.

1) Can I confirm the radiator lines on the OE radiator for automatic transmissions is indeed a transmission warmer and not a cooler? I've seen both posted on this forum including discussions of people adding a transmission cooler when they had to switch to the MT radiator, but the discussion of it being a transmission warmer tends to come from more experienced sources. I'm pretty sure it's a warmer but would just like to triple check. And given that... I assume the OE lines are running coolant through the transmission and not transmission fluid through a second radiator hidden within the main radiator? If installing a radiator lacking the AT circuit, do you need to cap or drain the lines to the transmission, or just ignore them?

2) I'm not getting a good sense for direct experience with the aluminum radiators on eBay. Anyone use one of these? Here's an example, but there are dozens listed from different sellers. Many of the options appear to be the same photos overlayed with different logos and business names, so I'm assuming in reality there are only a couple manufacturers that are supplying multiple re-sellers. How many of these are true direct fits and don't require additional welding etc to mount in the car, attach the fan shroud, etc? What did you do about new hoses? I don't know how accurate these aftermarket aluminum radiators are about using the same diameter bibs or locating the hose inlets such that OEM hoses or duplicates can be used vs needing fully custom hoses.

It would be great to get some direct experience with these aluminum replacements and see if they're good alternatives. Most run in the $225-$260 range, still have the AT circuit, and might have more cooling capacity so would be a good option if there aren't too many problems. They're difficult to report on because there are so many eBay links and they seem to come and go. I'm sure the fitment problems will vary widely.

s-l1600.jpeg

They're a heater and cooler

The trans has the ability to hit 300 degrees unchecked. The coolant is less than that, and as such they draw some heat. Because the coolant is typically in the 190s they also keep the trans fluid above a minimum.

They're a heater and cooler

The trans has the ability to hit 300 degrees unchecked. The coolant is less than that, and as such they draw some heat. Because the coolant is typically in the 190s they also keep the trans fluid above a minimum.
I assume then that the AT radiator has a loop of transmission fluid running through the normal coolant radiator, almost like a counterflow cooler? Or it's looping coolant from the radiator through the transmission?

1) Can I confirm the radiator lines on the OE radiator for automatic transmissions is indeed a transmission warmer and not a cooler? I've seen both posted on this forum including discussions of people adding a transmission cooler when they had to switch to the MT radiator, but the discussion of it being a transmission warmer tends to come from more experienced sources. I'm pretty sure it's a warmer but would just like to triple check. And given that... I assume the OE lines are running coolant through the transmission and not transmission fluid through a second radiator hidden within the main radiator? If installing a radiator lacking the AT circuit, do you need to cap or drain the lines to the transmission, or just ignore them?
@Dusten covered the temperatures aspect well.

If you're installing a radiator lacking the ATF loop, then I expect you would want to connect the ATF hardlines (that go from the transmission to the radiator) together with hose. That way you could allow ATF to circulate throughout the system. But (based on informal stories) you should really have some sort of cooler with how fast these transmissions generate heat under not-locked-up load. At a minimum the AT radiator provides some cooling; in the US (and other places) all 80-series had a dedicated transmission cooler as well.

I don't know how the AT radiator is structured internally to regulate the ATF temperature.

2) I'm not getting a good sense for direct experience with the aluminum radiators on eBay. Anyone use one of these? Here's an example, but there are dozens listed from different sellers. Many of the options appear to be the same photos overlayed with different logos and business names, so I'm assuming in reality there are only a couple manufacturers that are supplying multiple re-sellers. How many of these are true direct fits and don't require additional welding etc to mount in the car, attach the fan shroud, etc? What did you do about new hoses? I don't know how accurate these aftermarket aluminum radiators are about using the same diameter bibs or locating the hose inlets such that OEM hoses or duplicates can be used vs needing fully custom hoses.

It would be great to get some direct experience with these aluminum replacements and see if they're good alternatives. Most run in the $225-$260 range, still have the AT circuit, and might have more cooling capacity so would be a good option if there aren't too many problems. They're difficult to report on because there are so many eBay links and they seem to come and go. I'm sure the fitment problems will vary widely.
In my research on this forum, I have not found people who had installed these eBay specials in HDJ81s. You'd have to figure out all of those fitment issues yourself. Mounting to the body, fan shroud, big molded coolant hoses, transmission lines. It's virtually impossible to figure that out before you have them on hand, in my opinion. You would need drawings of these eBay specials, and the radiator you're replacing, to be sure.

The other option, if you really want an aftermarket aluminum radiator, would be looking at US 80-series options from reputable brands here that are priced well (Mishimoto, CSF). Based on my intuition with these trucks I would guess the mounting to line up and coolant hose diameter to be right, but for there not to be pre-molded hoses to go from a gasser radiator to a diesel engine.

For what it's worth, I paid $360 for my OEM radiator which I knew would have good fitment, good quality, a warranty, and be able to hook up directly (other then the two issues above). Took me a bit of looking around to get that price, but then you're not saving much money versus an aftermarket aluminum one if they are really $225-600. Unless you really dislike plastic radiators it's the simple, easy route (and possibly cheapest).

For what it's worth, I paid $360 for my OEM radiator which I knew would have good fitment, good quality, a warranty, and be able to hook up directly (other then the two issues above). Took me a bit of looking around to get that price, but then you're not saving much money versus an aftermarket aluminum one if they are really $225-600. Unless you really dislike plastic radiators it's the simple, easy route (and possibly cheapest).

I assume by OEM you mean the one for manual transmissions that's still made? This would for sure be the easiest route, but not the cheapest. If that AT circuit really does operate as a cooler as well as heater, I'd for sure need to add a separate AT cooler. I don't tow anything, at least not yet, but I live in Phoenix and my most common trips include steep grades where the ambient temperatures can be well over 110F. I don't think you could add too much cooling capacity.

I'll keep thinking about this. Those eBay aluminum radiators are intriguing and would for sure be the cheapest solution if everything lines up well, but I'm not sure I want to be the subject for that experiment. Theoretically somebody could do quite well for themselves making an all aluminum radiator that was a direct drop in and used all the same hoses (or have custom made silicons that create a drop in solution). It must exist somewhere... too many 1hd engines out there in the world that somebody didn't figure it out, so it's just a matter of identifying it. And that's the trick with all the eBay versions - no product reviews and the sources change so frequently that even if you found a review, it might not be the same unit that arrives on your doorstep.

I assume by OEM you mean the one for manual transmissions that's still made? This would for sure be the easiest route, but not the cheapest. If that AT circuit really does operate as a cooler as well as heater, I'd for sure need to add a separate AT cooler. I don't tow anything, at least not yet, but I live in Phoenix and my most common trips include steep grades where the ambient temperatures can be well over 110F. I don't think you could add too much cooling capacity.

I'll keep thinking about this. Those eBay aluminum radiators are intriguing and would for sure be the cheapest solution if everything lines up well, but I'm not sure I want to be the subject for that experiment. Theoretically somebody could do quite well for themselves making an all aluminum radiator that was a direct drop in and used all the same hoses (or have custom made silicons that create a drop in solution). It must exist somewhere... too many 1hd engines out there in the world that somebody didn't figure it out, so it's just a matter of identifying it. And that's the trick with all the eBay versions - no product reviews and the sources change so frequently that even if you found a review, it might not be the same unit that arrives on your doorstep.
Sorry, yes I do mean the OEM manual transmission one discussed in this thread: 16400-17200 for HZJ80s.

The US 80-series had a separate dedicated transmission cooler, on top of plumbing the ATF through the radiator. I would seriously consider adding one to match what we got here in the US for American terrain and speeds, regardless of what radiator you go with. I added a used USDM 80-series transmission cooler I got locally for cheap (but there are plenty of third party options); I would have done that regardless of if the radiator was plumbed for ATF or not. Thinking specifically of grades here locally in the Cascade Mountains as well as in the Rockies nearby; haven't been to AZ in a long time but I'm sure the grades are similar and temps much more extreme.

If you really want, I would try looking at Australia. That anecdotally seems to be the most robust 1HD aftermarket scene. But then shipping would cost you, as it would for any 1HD aftermarket parts. There's no American market here for that.

Last edited:
CFS 1640061240, was 364.00$ current price not sure
4.0 3FE us market is a direct fit. 3 core brass tanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom