Builds 1969 FJ40 named Mavis (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking good, you’ll be cruising around in no time! As far as disc conversion, 60 series works pretty well as long as you can source newer 40 series steering arms. This allows still using 40 TRE’s. Mini truck hubs from the late 70 to early 80’s also will interchange. These both require fine spline birfields and matching lockout hubs.

I've given up on stabbing in the engine with the transmission still in the truck, so am pulling the tranny and transfer case to attach to the engine off truck.

I've got most things out of the way, but how do you remove this @#$&! cable?

IMG_20220907_152248881.jpg

I've given up on stabbing in the engine with the transmission still in the truck, so am pulling the tranny and transfer case to attach to the engine off truck.

View attachment 3108673
You’ve got to pop the drum off and there’s a small c-clip on the inside where the cable comes through the housing. Remove it and the cable should slide out.

View attachment 3108673
I usually pull the drum and then just remove the whole backing plate with cable attached.

Also, if you go the mini truck or 60 series brake route, I believe I still have a pair of the shim bushings to use the stock 40 tie rods with the mini/60 steering arms. (I know they work with the mini truck arms as that’s what I’m running). If you go that route, you can have these shim bushings.

When you remove the bolts holding the backing plate on the upper left is a real short bolt and needs to go back in that spot.

When you remove the bolts holding the backing plate on the upper left is a real short bolt and needs to go back in that spot.
I assume I'll figure out what that random collection of words means once I start tearing into it

Right now I'm looking at four nuts. That's it

And drain T/C gear oil, or else ….

The original seal has been riding in the same place on the hub for the past 50 years or so. The second seal provides a new sealing surface on the hub and provides for a better chance to prevent a leak. Also before you slide the brake drum back on put some sealer on the shaft splines.

Sometimes it amazes me that I can order and receive a factory made part from Toyota for one of these old trucks.

View attachment 3109453

View attachment 3109454
I had to install a barbed fitting into my fuel filter housing and new fuel line to run this pump on my 69.
I didn’t try too hard after initially stripping that barbed fitting, to remove it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom