What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (21 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New suspension installed!

PXL_20220903_192709852.jpg

Started reassembling the front axle with the new steering setup. Waiting on a few more parts to show up this week, but hoping to have it back on the road next weekend. I'll need to find some time after hours at work to make some bumpstop extensions before I can take it out on some trails to see if the bump-steer and general steering performance is improved with the flatter link angles though.

View attachment 3107268View attachment 3107269
Dang, had no idea you could run Hi steer with spring under. TIL

Started reassembling the front axle with the new steering setup. Waiting on a few more parts to show up this week, but hoping to have it back on the road next weekend. I'll need to find some time after hours at work to make some bumpstop extensions before I can take it out on some trails to see if the bump-steer and general steering performance is improved with the flatter link angles though.

View attachment 3107268View attachment 3107269
Who makes that setup and is it a kit? Looks like you have to lose the steering damper correct? I don't see an attachment point for it on the relay rod end.

The high steer will be really nice but you really should put some 4-degree spring shims in. Watch out for contact between drag link and frame on the left side at full bump
Already have shims in place, it wasn't terrible before but should definitely be an improvement. My old TRE's had seen better days anyway so when this kit came up new-in-box for a good deal, I couldn't pass it up.

Definitely aware of the frame clearance on the passenger side. Quick measurements looks like 2.5" of bumpstop drop should keep it safe.

20220905_010738.jpg

Dang, had no idea you could run Hi steer with spring under. TIL
Depends on your suspension setup; I definitely wouldn't recommend it for 95% of SUA 60s. You need at least 4" of lift or else you would need to extend the bumpstops soo far that it wouldn't be worth the compromised travel.
Who makes that setup and is it a kit? Looks like you have to lose the steering damper correct? I don't see an attachment point for it on the relay rod end.
One of the parts I'm waiting on is a bar clamp steering stabilizer mount.
The kit is from Marlin Crawler.

Already have shims in place, it wasn't terrible before but should definitely be an improvement. My old TRE's had seen better days anyway so when this kit came up new-in-box for a good deal, I couldn't pass it up.

Definitely aware of the frame clearance on the passenger side. Quick measurements looks like 2.5" of bumpstop drop should keep it safe.

View attachment 3107573

Depends on your suspension setup; I definitely wouldn't recommend it for 95% of SUA 60s. You need at least 4" of lift or else you would need to extend the bumpstops soo far that it wouldn't be worth the compromised travel.

One of the parts I'm waiting on is a bar clamp steering stabilizer mount.
The kit is from Marlin Crawler.

Same setup 👍

IMG_2712.JPG

With flat drag link like that and proper caster there is zero need for a steering stabilizer.

With flat drag link like that and proper caster there is zero need for a steering stabilizer.
On my firstgen 4runner SAS i used the marlin hi steer kit and after i moved the steering box forward so the links werent on top of each other, i never ran a steering stabilizer. I forgot to order it at first but then just did without. It was spring over though

I looked up the part numbers on parts.toyota.com and they show up as available through my
I looked up the part numbers on parts.toyota.com and they show up as available through my dealership.
Here ya go, no issues ordering but they sent me an email after I loaded my basket, review my order. Once approved they sent me link to pay. Sounds like a lot but from basket to my door was a week. I think I saw Trail Tailor make a batch also…

Toyota 53738-90A00 (5373890A00) SEAL, FRONT FENDER APRON - https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/5373890a00

Toyota 53738-90A00 (5373890A00) SEAL, FRONT FENDER APRON - https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/5373890a00

I looked up the part numbers on parts.toyota.com and they show up as available through my dealership.
Oh I forgot to tell you, my experience I’ve paid for parts at my Toyota dealership, said we’re available. A week later call the dealership and was told oh bro those are back ordered. They just wanted to keep your business…

Oh I forgot to tell you, my experience I’ve paid for parts at my Toyota dealership, said we’re available. A week later call the dealership and was told oh bro those are back ordered. They just wanted to keep your business…
I appreciate that. I've not experienced that myself, but have definitely heard that happening to others. I also haven't attempted to order anything more obscure than tail light lenses, though...

We
Installed the hood support gas strut mod to get rid of the factory springs/prop rod.
Huge thanks to @Spook50 for his write up and diligence on keeping part numbers current in it-
Hood shock conversion writeup (with pics) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hood-shock-conversion-writeup-with-pics.95168/
Current price from McMaster-Carr parts w/shipping right at $130
View attachment 3106461
was your factory set up just not working anymore? Or was this just for a superior feel when opening, and getting rid of that stupid hood prop which is always in the way? Looks clean. I like it. Always cracks me up that I have done that upgrade on my 74 bronco, but still using a hood prop on my 1990 FJ62…..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom