1997 FzJ80 Battery Question 24F vs 27F - Is there a difference? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read through a lot of posts about batteries...when I purchased my battery four years ago, Costco told me that I needed the "24F" battery (Interstate). I picked it up but it's never seemed to get the job done. There are no parasitic drains on the system but if left sitting for 3-5 days, the battery drops and it has to be charged.

Maybe it's just a bad cell...?

Since it's time to look at replacing the battery in general, I came to the forums...and found that the 27F is the preferred battery...but when I head to any online site, like Costco, Napa, AutoZone, etc...their system spits back that I need the "24F"

Is the 24F the factory "recommended" and the 27F is better?
Or is the 27F just better in general?

Help me Obi-Wan IH8MUD...you're my only hope ;)

Bigger is better😆

It's just larger

Battery had a problem or something else is happening for it to not start after 3-5 days. A month is no problem for sitting and starting on mine

The 24 has more CCA and CA amps then the 27 but the 27 has more reserve capacity.

If you really want to ball out go with Interstate Batteries MTZ-34R, it has 800 CCA and 1000 CA and reserve capacity of 125.

Something must be going on. If you know for sure there are no drains on the system, I would be looking at easy stuff like terminal connections, alternator/belts, etc

Has that battery always been like this? Was your previous one the same?

I've run many diffent sizes in my 80s over the years, and even the big-ass 31 would die after 7 days on the truck I had with parasitic drain. I currently run 34 with cable extensions and starts fine all winter.

Something must be going on. If you know for sure there are no drains on the system, I would be looking at easy stuff like terminal connections, alternator/belts, etc

Has that battery always been like this? Was your previous one the same?
I just did a full cooling update to include new belts and pulley's...thus far I haven't seen any issue...it sat for three days and started right up, so it could have been something there. It's not my DD so I'll test it some more.

I just did a full cooling update to include new belts and pulley's...thus far I haven't seen any issue...it sat for three days and started right up, so it could have been something there. It's not my DD so I'll test it some more.

At anytime has the brushes on the alternator been replaced or the alternator itself been replaced?

As mentioned above check the connections on the battery, grounds, and alternator connections.

The 24 has more CCA and CA amps then the 27 but the 27 has more reserve capacity.

If you really want to ball out go with Interstate Batteries MTZ-34R, it has 800 CCA and 1000 CA and reserve capacity of 125.
I live in Vancouver, WA and work in Portland, OR...I don't think it gets old enough to actually WORRY about dying and the CCA. Bare minimum for me looks to be about 450 CCA. I've never had any issues with Interstate batteries, so maybe this was just a fluke from Costco.

I looked at the Interstate MTZ-34R and damn...that's an expensive battery - almost as expensive as the Optima Yellow...and something I don't need right this minute, but I'll put it on my wish list ;)

At anytime has the brushes on the alternator been replaced or the alternator itself been replaced?

As mentioned above check the connections on the battery, grounds, and alternator connections.

The brushes haven't been replaced, and in the time I've owned the Land Cruiser (7 years / ~20k miles since purchase) the alternator hasn't been replaced...haven't had a need to...I had the alternator checked last weekend after the cooling system (and belts/pulleys) was replaced and it was listed as "Working as it should" by Napa AND AutoZone...but a new alternator is on the list to be replaced as PM, mainly because I don't know what the PO did or did not do.

I'm technically the 3rd owner but the 2nd owner only had it for a month. I'm of the opinion he was a flipper and thought he could sell it for way more than he bought it, but the market was much more depressed for Cruisers seven years ago, so, I'm assuming he took a helluva loss considering I paid a little south of $2300 - then again, he and his girl were SUPER sketchy and maybe he just needed the money for (insert reason here).

I'm not gonna judge :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom