transfer case question for H55 swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!
the question- Does fj62 transfer case from Auto trans fit h55?

the cooking blog preamble...

I have an '84 FJ60
it has 1991 Ford mustang 302/5.0, mated to factory cruiser 4 speed.

I'm craving an OD but haven't had any luck finding a Fairey unit out here in the wild.

This leads me toward collecting Part to swap in the H55 unit.

I believe i need to get a later transfer case to facilitate this swap.

I've located an Xfer case near me but it's attached to an Auto trans.

does the auto use the same Xfer case as the H55? do they swap?

thank you

Yes. It will work. It would be a vacuum shifted transfer case though if it is indeed from an FJ62. Being a 60 owner I don’t know the particulars of that case but feel free to read more below.

Found some more great tech

Last edited:
Yes it will work, but you will have to convert the pneumatic shift on the FJ62 Tcase to manual. Cruiser Outfitter makes a kit to do that. The FJ62 case is a slight improvement, fwiw, over the FJ60 38mm case.

Split transfer cases are still available new, from Toyota. Valley Hybrids in Stockton, CA will build you a nice H55 + splitcase combo, if you want. Owner of that shop is OrangeFJ45 in the threads linked above.

Seeing as you have an '84 and it's unknown how the Ford engine swap was done, you may have issues with driveshaft length and crossmember placement when going to the H55. I suggest you do a lot of reading on MUD before taking the plunge.

Most important though: Your T'case will probably work too, but should be rebuilt, so you really don't need a new t'case unless you want the later case upgrade.

What’s wrong with your 84 case?
If transmission is in the original location you will just need driveshafts modded and later t-case linkage.

Highly recommend 10% OD Tcase gears in addition as well. Especially with the V8

This is a good thread. I don’t want to hijack though.

I have a 84’ BJ H55 or H55F (I don’t know what it is) that I’m installing in my FJ…… I have a rebuilt FJ62 transfer case, should I mate my rebuilt unit to my H55F/H55?

Why is it that the new FJ62 T case is better?

This is a good thread. I don’t want to hijack though.

I have a 84’ BJ H55 or H55F (I don’t know what it is) that I’m installing in my FJ…… I have a rebuilt FJ62 transfer case, should I mate my rebuilt unit to my H55F/H55?

Why is it that the new FJ62 T case is better?

In case you missed it above

Yes it will work, but you will have to convert the pneumatic shift on the FJ62 Tcase to manual. Cruiser Outfitter makes a kit to do that. The FJ62 case is a slight improvement, fwiw, over the FJ60 38mm case.

Split transfer cases are still available new, from Toyota. Valley Hybrids in Stockton, CA will build you a nice H55 + splitcase combo, if you want. Owner of that shop is OrangeFJ45 in the threads linked above.

Seeing as you have an '84 and it's unknown how the Ford engine swap was done, you may have issues with driveshaft length and crossmember placement when going to the H55. I suggest you do a lot of reading on MUD before taking the plunge.

Most important though: Your T'case will probably work too, but should be rebuilt, so you really don't need a new t'case unless you want the later case upgrade.

Thank you, I purchased it swapped and the last owner couldn't remember what motor mount kit was used. It does appear that everything is still in it's factory position but I will measure it all up to be sure.

Yes. It will work. It would be a vacuum shifted transfer case though if it is indeed from an FJ62. Being a 60 owner I don’t know the particulars of that case but feel free to read more below.

Found some more great tech

Thank you for the links. I did search before posting but not well enough obviously.

What’s wrong with your 84 case?
If transmission is in the original location you will just need driveshafts modded and later t-case linkage.

Highly recommend 10% OD Tcase gears in addition as well. Especially with the V8
I didn't know this was an option. Eery swap I've read says the early Tcase doesn't work with H55. I thought it was splines or bolt patterns because I never saw it explained.

Thank you, I purchased it swapped and the last owner couldn't remember what motor mount kit was used. It does appear that everything is still in it's factory position but I will measure it all up to be sure

If your interior looks stock then it is most likely in the stock place. usually it is pretty obvious from the interior work (shift boots, carpet etc) when the transmission has been moved from it's original location

I didn't know this was an option. Eery swap I've read says the early Tcase doesn't work with H55. I thought it was splines or bolt patterns because I never saw it explained.

Feel free it reach out if you want to buy the parts from us. We keep them all in stock

@GRpufnstuf

It is highly recommended that you but a $20/year silver star subscription. It allows you to post unlimited pictures and avoid all the pop ups plus other benefits I forget ... (look under the 'store' tab, way up top).

Posting pics helps people quickly see what you're up against and answer questions accurately.

You're gonna need it and it will easily pay for itself by helping avoid those costly mistakes everyone else has made.

Good luck.

the very early split cases did not work with an H55
any split case after 1983? will work with an H55
the front housing needs to have a place to accept the 5th gear oiler piece
to be sure with yours, you can remove the pto cover plate and you can see if the indent is there or not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom