Leaf over axle on a 70 series??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
Does anyone in this forum have leaf over axle? I would like to hear how it rides?
Im sure its not the best way (I get it) I wont be wheeling much, mainly a show car rather than an off-road vehicle.
My goal is to add 37's with a 5-6 lift
Thanks in advance

WhatsApp Image 2022-08-31 at 10.56.23 AM.jpeg

What you are after is an SOA (Spring Over Axle) setup. Try searching for more info on that. There are kits out there I believe to make that possible. Depending on what motor you have and what gearing adding 37" tires to that vehicle might end in it being incredibly underpowered, and make handling very horrible.

What you are after is an SOA (Spring Over Axle) setup. Try searching for more info on that. There are kits out there I believe to make that possible. Depending on what motor you have and what gearing adding 37" tires to that vehicle might end in it being incredibly underpowered, and make handling very horrible.
Thanks @Irish11 I'm going to do some research under spring over axle.

I've driven SOA BJ74 for many years.
37's are too small for SOA. You can get away with 37's with Spring under and shackle extensions.

SOA makes the truck pretty wobbly on the road. Sway bars are recommended. That said, I drove over 100,000kms on epic road trips like that. Just... drive appropriately.

You also really need some sort of pinion anti-wrap on the rear axle. I built something called a 'Bam-Bar'.

SOA makes the truck perform extremely well off-road. Getting the springs over the axles and out of the rocks and mud are dramatic improvements to ground clearance and off-road capability. Great for rock crawling and trail riding. You really need those sway bars though. I adapted a 60 series rear sway to my truck, and went without sway on the front. I also spent a lot of time laying on my side.

Here's a pic of the truck in question. Tires are 39.5R16 Iroks.

Ziplocks last stand.jpg

My BJ73 came as SOA converted. Definitely adds a monster truck look to it, but I am converting it back to a factory setup as it has too much body roll around town and on the highway for my liking. Definitely, it is awesome offroad as @Behemoth60 mentioned.

Tires 35x12.5x15
1662381119345.png

If you are interested in SOA parts message me. My axles are coming out in the next few weeks.

Keep in mind 70 series axles are quite narrow. Tippy enough std. If going to the trouble of re-making spring mounts etc etc for SOA it would be worth checking if axles from something wider could be used.

Cheers
Clint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom