Yet another F engine rebuild thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1970 FJ40 that is completely stock and now in need of an engine rebuild. I have searched the Forum threads and it seems the consensus is it's easier to jump off a bridge than to find a rebuilt engine or somebody who can do the work. I am finding this to be 100% true. I am in central Idaho and everybody within a 300 mile radius is either not taking new work, not able to do the work, or at least four months out if I drop it off today. Do you fine folks know of anywhere I can either:

1. Take the vehicle to have somebody do the work;
2. Buy a rebuilt engine for installation locally; or
3. Know of a decent shop that is worth waiting for?

Please advise. I have worn out the Google machine and phone trying to find answers. Thank you in advance for your kindness and consideration.

Yeah, I agree with pighead. You own an antique truck, so you should be willing and able to do everything yourself, with some machine shop work, unless you have unlimited time/money.

I’m in Sweet and in somewhat the same boat. I’m doing the work myself, but this isn’t a complete rebuild, e.g. I’m only planning on honing the cylinders and reusing the pistons with new rings (and my piston tops are beat up 😂). In other words, a tractor rebuild. You might ping the local Teasure Valley club folks here ID- Treasure Valley Land Cruisers - https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/id-treasure-valley-land-cruisers.368/ to see if they have any ideas for a shop. Parts is my main issue.

I have a 1970 FJ40 that is completely stock and now in need of an engine rebuild. I have searched the Forum threads and it seems the consensus is it's easier to jump off a bridge than to find a rebuilt engine or somebody who can do the work. I am finding this to be 100% true. I am in central Idaho and everybody within a 300 mile radius is either not taking new work, not able to do the work, or at least four months out if I drop it off today. Do you fine folks know of anywhere I can either:

1. Take the vehicle to have somebody do the work;
2. Buy a rebuilt engine for installation locally; or
3. Know of a decent shop that is worth waiting for?

Please advise. I have worn out the Google machine and phone trying to find answers. Thank you in advance for your kindness and consideration.
ClassicCruisers, CO; RedlineCruisers,CO; BTBprod, NV; MoselyMotors, TN; and 209Yoda1, CA all can rebuild your F/2F motors. Prices hover around $4000+ not including shipping. All have great reputations all are a little backlogged. But all are worth the wait too!

"tractor rebuild". I like it. its not an LS or porsche. I'm like 1\4 way thru a second rebuild of a 1970 F engine. Did not seat my dizzy and ate some crank bearings after the first rebuild. Parts are hard to find and spendy, but buy the best you can afford and dig into it. Guessing its not your daily driver?

What are the symptoms?

IMG_20220831_160617.jpg

ClassicCruisers, CO; RedlineCruisers,CO; BTBprod, NV; MoselyMotors, TN; and 209Yoda1, CA all can rebuild your F/2F motors. Prices hover around $4000+ not including shipping. All have great reputations all are a little backlogged. But all are worth the wait too!
This is good advice. Thank you.

My daily drivers are a '97 4Runner I bought new and a '10 Tundra. I don't have the tools to do a rebuild and I have not done this kind of work since high school.

I’m in Sweet and in somewhat the same boat. I’m doing the work myself, but this isn’t a complete rebuild, e.g. I’m only planning on honing the cylinders and reusing the pistons with new rings (and my piston tops are beat up 😂). In other words, a tractor rebuild. You might ping the local Teasure Valley club folks here ID- Treasure Valley Land Cruisers - https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/id-treasure-valley-land-cruisers.368/ to see if they have any ideas for a shop. Parts is my main issue.
Thanks. I will do so.

I don't have the tools to do a rebuild and I have not done this kind of work since high school.
You can buy a lot of very good tools for the rebuild vs. paying a very high hourly shop rate.
You'll need some bigger sockets, maybe a bigger breaker bar. Do you own a torque wrench?
The nice thing about buying tools to do your own work; you get to keep the tools. They'll come in handy later on. An engine hoist can be rented, a nice big stable engine stand is needed, perhaps could be borrowed, i just bought one.
F engines have not changed much since you were in High School. It's still an extremely simple engine. My only previous engine rebuild has been an air-cooled VW, the LandCruiser might be easier except it's heavy.
I had several manuals, a good machine shop and 'Mud to help me do my first F/2F mishmash rebuild. That was in 2004, I'm still driving it.
There us nothing like rebuilding an engine to teach you EXACTLY how it works, to give you the confidence to fix anything in it and perhaps other things too.

Plus it is hard to describe the extreme joy and satisfaction that you will experience when the engine that you rebuilt roars to life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom