Buying a clean but high mileage 100 series vs... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone

Thanks for having me, nice place you have here :)

Can I please pick your brains for an opinion.

I'm going to look at a very clean 2002 v8 100 series. 560,000 km or almost 350,000 miles.

Its at least 50% cheaper than the nearest I can find which is at 420, 000 or 260k miles

Hit me with your thoughts :)

Added a reply because I can't find the edit button.

I'm relatively new to 4WD but lots of experience working on cars. Confident I can handle any home mechanic job.

I want a vehicle to tour with, very light off road. I plan to go through the front end and get it handling like a new vehicle.
The car I mentioned above is a kid transporter/shopping trolley. Totally original.

How long are you planning on keeping it, and how many miles do you plan putting on it? In 100,000 miles the more expensive ones you looking at are in the mileage range of the cheap one. The cheap one would be at 450,000. 450,000 is a lot for any vehicle you're depending on.

Jim

Maintenance history is the most important component. I’d rather have a 500k-mile 100 with impeccable maintenance history than a 100k-mile 100 that’s only had a handful of engine oil changes and not much else.

Its not going into remote areas. Just a camping rig. It would be lucky to do 10,000km in a year. Thats a big reason why I'm also considering it. Its a second car.
It looks clean enough that if the gearbox and engine shat themselves in a few years that I'd be left with a good platform to chuck second hand running gear into.
Resale would obviously be terrible but even the ones at twice the price are sitting on the edge of that "too high mileage" category.

Maintenance history is the most important component. I’d rather have a 500k-mile 100 with impeccable maintenance history than a 100k-mile 100 that’s only had a handful of engine oil changes and not much else.

I’d agree, but would also add that I’d prefer a limited number of owners, that (preferably) have used the proper OE or OEM parts, instead of bargain basement parts, for that maintenance. I’d also be wary of lots of aftermarket wiring/modifications of unknown quality.

I'm driving one with about the same number of miles, I intend to keep it another 10 years or 500k miles. And I do go into remote places, though remote US isn't on par with remote Aus I'd imagine.

The car I mentioned above is a kid transporter/shopping trolley. Totally original.
Having lived in the bush, and in some years driven 70,000ks per year, high mileage Toyotas have never concerned me. There's an '05 GLX (that's the update model!) out Roma way on Carsales with similar ks to the one you're looking at. Normal story - service history and get an indie to check it over if you need another opinion. Check when the timing belt was last done would be another tip.

If you buy it - better report back :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom