Top of steering column (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
Ignore the vehicle for a moment. I'm switching back to an fj40 column, and I need the parts/bearing to do on top of the column tube. Is the same brass bushing that goes on the bottom? I don't need or want the turn signal element, I'm doing an aftermarket on the column. Just something to bolt on the end of the tube and hold the column in position - and if there's a way to make it look nice, that could be good too. The end of the column will be coming down about 5".

EDIT: I want to add I looked at the SOR exploded view and couldn't identify the part. I have a bearing that would work, but it would just look like a bearing bolted onto the flange, and the bolt holes don't line up, so it would have to be a bit of a kluge.
IMG_7061.jpg

So, is there a trick to getting this grant adapter all the way down? Heat? Or just grind it off.

IMG_7059.jpg

Last edited:
Ignore the vehicle for a moment. I'm switching back to an fj40 column, and I need the parts/bearing to do on top of the column tube. Is the same brass bushing that goes on the bottom? I don't need or want the turn signal element, I'm doing an aftermarket on the column. Just something to bolt on the end of the tube and hold the column in position - and if there's a way to make it look nice, that could be good too. The end of the column will be coming down about 5".

EDIT: I want to add I looked at the SOR exploded view and couldn't identify the part. I have a bearing that would work, but it would just look like a bearing bolted onto the flange, and the bolt holes don't line up, so it would have to be a bit of a kluge.
View attachment 3101752

So, is there a trick to getting this grant adapter all the way down? Heat? Or just grind it off.

View attachment 3101753

No trick according to Grant.

"ATTN: TOYOTA (HUB NO. 10179) AND HONDA/ACURA
VEHICLES (HUB NO. 10069). THESE HUBS ARE
DESIGNED TO FIT ONTO THE SHAFT VERY TIGHTLY AND
BE DRAWN DOWN BY TIGHTENING THE SHAFT NUT."

Found the info looking through their tech support page.

the end of the shaft is a tapered spline so the tighter you torque it down , the tighter it gets. Try a steer wheel or harmonic balancer puller

The shaft is approximately 3/4" . The tube should be about 1 3/8 ID. That is a common shouldered bearing you can find at and Ace hardware.
! 3/8 x .75 shouldered wheel barrow wheel bearing. You may have to remove any paint from the steering shaft. It can be a snug fit.
I don't know what you're doing on the other end, beyond the firewall, but I would use a bearing on both ends. If you have the late model
column with the firewall bucket, the bearing will stay in place , held by the bucket. If you have an early column, use a shaft collar behind
the bearing to keep the bearing from working it's way out

Amazon product ASIN B078JY8452

At the bottom end I have this great bearing from NexGenOffroad that mounts to the bucket pretty nicely. it just won't to the triangular flange on the top end without looking horrible. Thanks for the link to the Amazon part - that's a huge help. The bottom bearing is locked with set screws, so this should work great.

I know the grant is tight, but I can't get it down enough to get the nut on at all. I'll try cleaning the splines a little and see if can get it down some more, but I think I'm just going to have to grind 3/16 off the top of the adapter to get the nut to start. On the EPS column I had on there, it went on enough to start the number, but the stock column clearly gets fatter faster.

Are you sure the adapter you have is for a factory Toyota column? I'd measure and count the splines to be sure.

The splines are definitely right, it slides on, it just won't very deep. And it went on the EPS column just fine. Maybe a little spline cleaning will help.

The splines are definitely right, it slides on, it just won't very deep. And it went on the EPS column just fine. Maybe a little spline cleaning will help.
pretty sure there's more than one grant adapter for the 40s. Been a while but I believe the adapters for late columns are different than the early. I've always liked the stock
wheels myself. I've run across a lot of 40s with aftermarket steering wheels. Fit is never as good as stock. Gaps where there shouldn't be, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom