Haven’t seen tire wear like this. Any clues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a 80 series RHD land cruiser and the rear is wearing real weird. The right side outside tire is wearing real bad and left hand inside real bad. Now tires are old from 2011 and I assume put on in Japan, it’s on a dobinson 4 inch lift with there rear arms.. I chanced to see if the axle was strait and I want to double check but it seamed fine. Any insight or things to check let me know I don’t want to tear up the new rubber going on.

2E15A0B4-931E-4D5A-A54C-D7957209B12D.jpeg

58074A95-3352-486B-AFD9-F9E33151EF41.jpeg

ED32FFA8-FE57-4A4E-A213-A0494F148B02.jpeg

bent axle?

Get an alignment checked, you should be able to see if the Thrust angle or axle tubes are out of whack.

Maybe a few things.
The age of tyres perhaps, if it was just outside maybe uv, but you have inside too.

How did you check axle housing straightness?
I jigged up something similar to my axle housing, as in this video, with several sized bushes and a barbell. If you can access a lathe even better to size the bushings. You shall have to remove diff, axle housing from springs, brake lines etc..

It would be odd that the internal wheel bearings on one side and the external on the other side were set incorrectly. But maybe worth redoing your rear wheel bearings.
Did you do the wheel bearings yourself? Always good to thump the tyre a fair bit with a heavy hammer to simulate potholes and rocks whilst setting preload.

Or, yes take it to an alignment shop or diff shop, diff shops straighten housings all the time apparently. Dukes of hazard sort of damage.

Wonder if your chassis is straight?

Maybe a few things.
The age of tyres perhaps, if it was just outside maybe uv, but you have inside too.

How did you check axle housing straightness?
I jigged up something similar to my axle housing, as in this video, with several sized bushes and a barbell. If you can access a lathe even better to size the bushings. You shall have to remove diff, axle housing from springs, brake lines etc..

It would be odd that the internal wheel bearings on one side and the external on the other side were set incorrectly. But maybe worth redoing your rear wheel bearings.
Did you do the wheel bearings yourself? Always good to thump the tyre a fair bit with a heavy hammer to simulate potholes and rocks whilst setting preload.

Or, yes take it to an alignment shop or diff shop, diff shops straighten housings all the time apparently. Dukes of hazard sort of damage.

Wonder if your chassis is straight?

Alright so my first thought was I had the links adjusted wrong literally making the axle having a leading edge that’s what I checked. I haven’t checked the housing but I think I’ll have a alignment shot check since that’s far easier than setup up jigs and crap. The chassis seams good it definitely had a accident on it from what I’ve seen but no visible signs and honestly it tracks and drive well besides besides worn out bushings and definitely bad tire balance.

Wheel bearings haven’t been done since I bought it. I adjusted the front ones but the rear is tight but may be worth a look since those likely were done in Japan.

Alright so my first thought was I had the links adjusted wrong literally making the axle having a leading edge that’s what I checked. I haven’t checked the housing but I think I’ll have a alignment shot check since that’s far easier than setup up jigs and crap. The chassis seams good it definitely had a accident on it from what I’ve seen but no visible signs and honestly it tracks and drive well besides besides worn out bushings and definitely bad tire balance.

Wheel bearings haven’t been done since I bought it. I adjusted the front ones but the rear is tight but may be worth a look since those likely were done in Japan.
I have a 12mm ish banana on the left hand side of my frame, wheel to wheel, 1988 troopy, ex rural fire brigade. It was bashed about a bit, but tracks ok, just the inner right wheel bearing gets stuck to the hub a little when changing over. Not too bad considering.
Tyres wear evenly and I rotate 5 of them them regular.

I used a long length of straight edge steel flat bar, 4mm x 110mm, reaching from rear of rear tyre to front of front tyre, center hub height. One side at a time, front raised so you can turn your wheels, to allow for front wheel toe in.

If the tyres can touch the bar at front and back of tyre on both wheels, it is straight.

On my left side, the rear of front tyre does not touch the straight edge by 12mm-ish, whilst touching front of front tyre and front and back of rear tyre. My slight 4m ish banana.

I guess you couldn't do this check on a later 70 series cruiser as the front is wider than the back, when they put the v8's in. Maybe if the difference of width is known and compensated for.

I imagine the 80 is the same width front and back, but don't know.
Have you got a toyota manual? They usually have frame diagrams and measurements in them.

No expert but using a long straight edge worked for me. Use to worry about it, but the tyres wear fine, so pretty happy for awhile now.

Maybe find out if it is straight before bothering with bearings.

I have a 12mm ish banana on the left hand side of my frame, wheel to wheel, 1988 troopy, ex rural fire brigade. It was bashed about a bit, but tracks ok, just the inner right wheel bearing gets stuck to the hub a little when changing over. Not too bad considering.
Tyres wear evenly and I rotate 5 of them them regular.

I used a long length of straight edge steel flat bar, 4mm x 110mm, reaching from rear of rear tyre to front of front tyre, center hub height. One side at a time, front raised so you can turn your wheels, to allow for front wheel toe in.

If the tyres can touch the bar at front and back of tyre on both wheels, it is straight.

On my left side, the rear of front tyre does not touch the straight edge by 12mm-ish, whilst touching front of front tyre and front and back of rear tyre. My slight 4m ish banana.

I guess you couldn't do this check on a later 70 series cruiser as the front is wider than the back, when they put the v8's in. Maybe if the difference of width is known and compensated for.

I imagine the 80 is the same width front and back, but don't know.
Have you got a toyota manual? They usually have frame diagrams and measurements in them.

No expert but using a long straight edge worked for me. Use to worry about it, but the tyres wear fine, so pretty happy for awhile now.

Maybe find out if it is straight before bothering with bearings.
Yeah that’s my plan I have to get tires put on soon like maybe end of the week so I’ll probably have them to a alignment since I’m pretty sure my tow is off after some hard wheeling got a slight pull after that trip typically with past rigs means it got tweaked a tiny bit. So while it’s on the rack I’ll have it all checked out.

Depending on what that shows I’ll know next steps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom