Oil leak after brand new clutch and rear main seal replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone I am new to this forum so I hope I have posted in the right spot!

I have just had a brand new clutch put in and a rear main seal replacement. After driving for 1-2 days I have noticed oil leaking down from these areas ( see photos). As someone that regularly checks for leaks, this was not leaking prior to getting my clutch done. Oil level from dipstick has appeared to not have changed but I’m really not happy to find this after spending so much money.

Would really appreciate any advice/ suggestions for the cause

Background: FJ62 1985, done 180,000kms original motor.

Thanks! Jack
21E982A6-149B-4C7C-B7B5-059C6B8710F2.jpeg
372B1D7F-8BB4-4947-82FE-4D772981BA00.jpeg
6BFC4534-A0A0-41A6-96BB-7884259F3344.jpeg

Hi everyone I am new to this forum so I hope I have posted in the right spot!

I have just had a brand new clutch put in and a rear main seal replacement. After driving for 1-2 days I have noticed oil leaking down from these areas ( see photos). As someone that regularly checks for leaks, this was not leaking prior to getting my clutch done. Oil level from dipstick has appeared to not have changed but I’m really not happy to find this after spending so much money.

Would really appreciate any advice/ suggestions for the cause

Background: FJ62 1985, done 180,000kms original motor.

Thanks! JackView attachment 3099039View attachment 3099042View attachment 3099046

well ..........

- this is how i would approach this topic ..

- who installed the new rear main oil seal ?

- did they install a
toyota genuine OEM part or a ROCK AUTO Chinese one instead ?

- report back with some more additional details please ...

- then you have your marching orders and new path forward here ...

kindly
matt

@brian

well ..........

- this is how i would approach this topic ..

- who installed the new rear main oil seal ?

- did they install a
toyota genuine OEM part or a ROCK AUTO Chinese one instead ?

- report back with some more additional details please ...

- then you have your marching orders and new path forward here ...

kindly
matt

@brian
Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply. My local mechanic and a Toyota genuine seal was used.

Cheers Jack

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply. My local mechanic and a Toyota genuine seal was used.

Cheers Jack

Jack ,

did you have the apparent EXXON Valdese incident before the above recent repairs job scope you outline above ?

- why was the seal replaced in the first place during your clutch job ?

- speak plainly and get into details here because details matter ... :)

Did you have the seals replaced when the transmission was out for the clutch job? I only ask because I didn’t reseal the transmission and transfer case when I did my rear main seal and clutch. I have leaks from the input shaft seal on the transmission and front output shaft on the transfer case now. Now I have the pleasure of taking it all out again to completely reseal everything

Did you have the seals replaced when the transmission was out for the clutch job? I only ask because I didn’t reseal the transmission and transfer case when I did my rear main seal and clutch. I have leaks from the input shaft seal on the transmission and front output shaft on the transfer case now. Now I have the pleasure of taking it all out again to completely reseal everything
Yeah mate seal was done with transmission out!

Jack ,

did you have the apparent EXXON Valdese incident before the above recent repairs job scope you outline above ?

- why was the seal replaced in the first place during your clutch job ?

- speak plainly and get into details here because details matter ... :)
No did not have this incident prior to recent repairs has only occurred after.

Rear main seal was advised to be replaced by mechanic as upon inspection during the clutch replacement they rang me and told me that it was leaking pretty bad.

I’m speaking of the transmission seals ie,input shaft, transmission to transfer case, transfer case out shafts, front and rear. You had those replaced?

Oh ok, that’s good. did they offer any type of warranty for the work done? Also, did they use Toyota seals?

Easy DIY to pull that cover and see if you can tell what’s leaking. RMS seal leaks tend to be on the flywheel and radiate out toward the edges. Oil pan arch seal usually won’t do that.

Either way sounds like your mechanic will be getting a come-back…

Here’s mine, RMS was fine, oil pan arch seal was toast.

5C4EB358-2620-424B-A216-FD15462C069A.jpeg

No did not have this incident prior to recent repairs has only occurred after.

Rear main seal was advised to be replaced by mechanic as upon inspection during the clutch replacement they rang me and told me that it was leaking pretty bad.

sorry , i don't follow you here ?

- you did not have a oil leak before the clutch job we are discussing

- but ...

- then you mention you gat a call from your mechanic saying it was leaking pretty bad ?

- either way on the above , ....

- exactly how many days ago was the clutch job complete and you paid for the job and drove the truck home from there , that exact moment ?

- please think , for a moment , and reply back the exact calendar day ?

- this is a key important point ....

It is typically good sportsmanship to replace the rear main seal during a clutch job, based soley on the amount of work that it takes to get to it....so much so that it has become standard practice to replace it, even if if it shows no sign of leakage...sounds like instead of telling you this, your shop made up a little story to push the extra sale.
If the rear was leaking prior to the clutch job, you would have seen it on the ground...as you do now.
Have you determined yet whether it is gear or motor oil on the ground yet? Rear main leaks just put oil on the ground, input seals put oil on the clutch friction disc...they do not like to be "oil cooled".

Easy DIY to pull that cover and see if you can tell what’s leaking.

This ^^^, if you want to find out for yourself. Since you are already into this with your own hard earned money, I wouldn't bother and would just let the mechanic who worked on it sort it out. Play whatever "I'll stand by my work" card exists and get this figured out with minimal effort. It doesn't really matter if there was a leak before. There is now and the only thing that has happened between when it didn't leak and when it did was the mechanic touching your truck. Issue is there so hold them accountable.

No offense to mechanics, but none of them love your cruiser like you love your cruiser. GL and HTH.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom