Axle hub leaking - need assistance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Both axles were rebuilt recently

Noticed the passenger rear axle is leaking - tried to tighten the nuts but they all free spin. Guessing they are stripped
Would that cause it to leak this much?

Both front axles seems to have a leak as well- any idea on how to proceed

Is it ok to drive it as is?

I appreciate any and all help
2E402363-9AEE-4B20-AB61-D3065C84E3B2.jpeg
FCD9AC41-FD19-488F-86A3-0661E0822552.jpeg
2E402363-9AEE-4B20-AB61-D3065C84E3B2.jpeg
F8A0E13E-F769-4E15-888F-2C313B8FFAE8.jpeg

912B254C-6E8C-4BB9-99D6-8D7B178880F3.jpeg

Who rebuilt your knuckles?

Who stripped the axle flange studs on the rear axle?

No, it shouldn't leak there.

You have gear oil dripping from the knuckles. That's supposed to be grease.

Whoever did the work is an idiot.

I’m curious as to these answers as well.

If this is what I got back from a shop, I would ask what they filled the knuckles with, hoping their answer wasn’t gear oil from the top plug.

I’d ask about the stripped hardware too, but they might not admit to anything.

Do you know which parts they used? I’d want to know that as well, although that’s something I would nail down before having work done.

Edit: I now realize you didn’t actually say a shop rebuilt them

Last edited:
So do I Need to rebuild the knuckles?
They do need to be taken apart again to correct these issues, yes. Can you tell us more about the job & parts used? Did a shop do it?

A recent knuckle rebuild shouldn’t leak anything, especially gear oil..

Last edited:
It has happened before where a mechanic who was familiar with Land ROVERS worked on a solid axle Land CRUISER, and filled the knuckles with gear oil instead of Moly grease. More commonly the axle shafts have deep wear grooves so even a new axle seal won't keep the gear oil out of the knuckles. Another cause for gear oil getting into the knuckles is if the garter spring on the axle seal was knocked out of place during installation.

Watch this video to educate yourself for the next time:

Also seems like someone stripped all the studs as mentioned earlier??

I would expect to find other surprises. Maybe try to get your money back and take it to someone who knows how to do those jobs correctly. IMHO

Last edited:

Trailtailor did the work. I purchased an fj60 that he had did an axle swap on that He said he used the marlin kit on but did not answer if it was grease or gear oil he used

I reached out to him first to see if he would help me figure it out and he didn’t seem too inclined to help out so I’m reaching out to y’all. He removed himself from our private conversation on here

What kits do y’all recommend I purchase to fix the front hubs leak and the rear hub leak

Thank you in advance

I think I recall reading that the marlin crawler heavy duty inner axle seal doesn’t work as well on an 80, like it does for previous cruisers and pickups. Someone correct me if I’m wrong

Go-to for the 80 is the front kit from cruiser outfitters. All OEM or equivalent. Haven’t needed to do my rears but I’d assume it’s the same deal

Almost looks like a flat lockwasher (or ?damaged/loose cone washer) is sitting under that nut??

@texote : can you clean off the knuckle studs/nuts (show in the photo above) and take another photo?

Something up with that left passenger side stud. Almost looks like an extra washer?
But the bolt isn't seated all the way like the others
Looks like a double washer.

How much you want to bet that he stripped the stud, then installed a second washer to cover up the mistake.
Guaranteed it's not tightened to spec of 71 LB-FT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom